Cottons

It blows my mind that NU has wasted 2 scholarships on Barney's sons. Ben definately deserves to be a scholly TE, but his bros(who both didn't have any other offers), would have walked on anyway. Am I the only one that sees this? Barney shouldn't still be coaching at NU anyway, he is a terrible OL coach. It makes me sick to see Pelini give his kids free rides(Chadron State was never even intersted in the younger Cottons). We are not a better team with the younger Cottons, or as their father being the OL coach. Look back when Barney was Frank's OL coach, worst OL NU had in 30yrs, but look at NFL rosters and they are still playing ball. Barney takes talent and doesn't have a clue how to coach them. His 2 younger sons SHOULD HAVE BEEN WALKONS!!!! With such a small class this year, Sam Cotton, like his brother last year should have gotten an invite to walk on.

I don't know about his sons, the scholarships and all that stuff. What I do know, however, is that I have my reservations about Cotton the coach. Personally, I thin it shouldn't matter what offense you're running - I've heard several people (most notably Brenden Stai) say the line plays with poor technique. I'm no expert when it comes to technique in football, but the fact that our lines can't overcome injuries and seem to falter near the end of the season somewhat worries me.

For the last two years we've heard a lot about depth on the o-line and how they have several bodies they could put in there, yet when somebody does get hurt they end up playing through injury and the younger guys never seem to make an impact.

I'm not sure what to think about Cotton as o-line coach.

• Fire 1

It blows my mind that NU has wasted 2 scholarships on Barney's sons. Ben definately deserves to be a scholly TE, but his bros(who both didn't have any other offers), would have walked on anyway. Am I the only one that sees this? Barney shouldn't still be coaching at NU anyway, he is a terrible OL coach. It makes me sick to see Pelini give his kids free rides(Chadron State was never even intersted in the younger Cottons). We are not a better team with the younger Cottons, or as their father being the OL coach. Look back when Barney was Frank's OL coach, worst OL NU had in 30yrs, but look at NFL rosters and they are still playing ball. Barney takes talent and doesn't have a clue how to coach them. His 2 younger sons SHOULD HAVE BEEN WALKONS!!!! With such a small class this year, Sam Cotton, like his brother last year should have gotten an invite to walk on.

Actually Ben is the worst athlete of the three. The middle Cotton made it know early he wasn't really interested in going elsewhere so that killed his offers but look for him to eventually start on the oline this year barring something unexpected. The youngest pretty much had the same attitude about coming to NU and still has a few offers. Had they camped outside of NU like Ben and not had a dad on staff they each probably would have had 8-12 offers from D-1 schools.

I agree his dad has been less than stellar as a coach. Maybe its the fact he didn't have enough help as they have stated this past winter. He's pretty much been the only coach when he's had the line. I still have my doubts that he's much more than an average position coach at best with above average recruiting skills.

I agree his dad has been less than stellar as a coach. Maybe its the fact he didn't have enough help as they have stated this past winter. He's pretty much been the only coach when he's had the line. I still have my doubts that he's much more than an average position coach at best with above average recruiting skills.

This

During the "Pipeline" years NU had 2 OL coaches. Past 7 years 1 OL coach. I think this year I read that there will be 4 OL coaches. If it ain't fixed this year don't let the barn door hit Barn on his way out

I was under the impression that sons of the coaches get free schooling anyway, so why waste the scollie? Am I wrong here?

I wonder about this. If true we've wasted three schollies--which is huge. But I'd guess there's some ncaa restriction. To avoid teams gaming the system.

This

During the "Pipeline" years NU had 2 OL coaches. Past 7 years 1 OL coach. I think this year I read that there will be 4 OL coaches. If it ain't fixed this year don't let the barn door hit Barn on his way out

Its painfully obvious Bo thinks the line is a huge weakness in development. Cotton has tried to do it himself both stints here, and has been reluctant to take help when it was offered. I'm not certain how it was at New Mexico or Iowa State but his lines were far from impressive there too. I know a few former linemen and they pretty much think he's a joke. Personally I lost a lot of respect when he proclaimed Iowa State as the real big red after his win over us after Billy C was here. I realize it was an emotional reaction. . . but it was a low thing to say at the time.

I was under the impression that sons of the coaches get free schooling anyway, so why waste the scollie? Am I wrong here?

I can't imagine that this is true. Children of professors or deans don't get automatic full rides to college, why would the children of coaches get that?

I can't imagine that this is true. Children of professors or deans don't get automatic full rides to college, why would the children of coaches get that?

I would imagine they get a fair chunk of their education paid, if not a full ride. My dad worked for a local college for many years and had I lived near enough to go to school there, I could have taken classes on a major discount - and he wasn't even an Admin or professor.

Maybe they don't get full rides, but I'm sure family of UNL employees get their education FAR cheaper than us regular folk. But I'm sure the NCAA frowns on having star players on your team that aren't counted against your scholarships, which is why the Cotton boys all will be on scholly. It's an NCAA issue.

They had better be talented enough to earn them, though. Bo's nephew is on the team, and he's a walk-on, I believe.

I would imagine they get a fair chunk of their education paid, if not a full ride. My dad worked for a local college for many years and had I lived near enough to go to school there, I could have taken classes on a major discount - and he wasn't even an Admin or professor.

Maybe they don't get full rides, but I'm sure family of UNL employees get their education FAR cheaper than us regular folk. But I'm sure the NCAA frowns on having star players on your team that aren't counted against your scholarships, which is why the Cotton boys all will be on scholly. It's an NCAA issue.

They had better be talented enough to earn them, though. Bo's nephew is on the team, and he's a walk-on, I believe.

Austin Cassidy was a walk-on for three years before earning a schollie. It would have been better for the team if one or more of the Cottons had taken this route. Then again, if they are good enough to see early quality PT I guess they deserve a schollie just like anyone else.

I wonder about this. If true we've wasted three schollies--which is huge. But I'd guess there's some ncaa restriction. To avoid teams gaming the system.

In all fairness, I think it's a little early to declare that we've "wasted" scholarships. Ben Cotton is a good TE, actually, we are so thin at the position he's basically a giant asset for us. So I would say we definitely didn't waste one on him, and there is a long way to go before we can judge Jake and Sam's NU careers.

I'm not a Barney fan. I think his units are undisciplined, sloppy, and I see way too many guys turning around and looking back at their RB gettting tackled when they should be finishing their blocks to the whistle. That shouldn't influence how we view his kids, though. From what I've seen out of Ben thus far, I'd say his brothers may very well have been worth the schollies.

EDITED: I don't mean Ben is an asset just because we're thin at TE. He is flat out good.

In all fairness, I think it's a little early to declare that we've "wasted" scholarships. Ben Cotton is a good TE, actually, we are so thin at the position he's basically a giant asset for us. So I would say we definitely didn't waste one on him, and there is a long way to go before we can judge Jake and Sam's NU careers.

Austin Cassidy was a walk-on for three years before earning a schollie. It would have been better for the team if one or more of the Cottons had taken this route. Then again, if they are good enough to see early quality PT I guess they deserve a schollie just like anyone else.

Children of professors, deans, and many other full time employees get pretty darn close to full rides. I believe tuition is free (up to 15 credit hours at UNO), but they have to pay for books and student fees which is like next to nothing compared to tuition. And since UNL requires freshman live on campus (or does that not apply if you live in Lincoln?) I suppose you'd have to pay for your room for the first year.