Cottons

I guess I should have specified. The tuition for their children is drastically cheaper.

I don't think this is the case with student athletes. I think they pay full rates but I could be mistaken. I know that if a kid gets a say a full ride regents scholarship it still counts toward the total on the football team's 85 regardless of who is funding it. You can't have little work arounds or you'd have a lot of temporary janitors that had kids on sports teams.

I was under the impression that sons of the coaches get free schooling anyway, so why waste the scollie? Am I wrong here?

I wonder about this. If true we've wasted three schollies--which is huge. But I'd guess there's some ncaa restriction. To avoid teams gaming the system.

Was Barney officially on staff yet when Ben was offered so that one wouldn't be under this? Regarding the other stuff Big Willie covered some of this under the Sam Cotton recruiting thread.

I was under the impression that sons of the coaches get free schooling anyway, so why waste the scollie? Am I wrong here?

I wonder about this. If true we've wasted three schollies--which is huge. But I'd guess there's some ncaa restriction. To avoid teams gaming the system.

Was Barney officially on staff yet when Ben was offered so that one wouldn't be under this? Regarding the other stuff Big Willie covered some of this under the Sam Cotton recruiting thread.

Yes Barney was on staff. Up until then Ben was going elsewhere.

This further proves the stupidity of Barney Cotton. He obviously makes plenty of money to send his kids to college on his own. Why not pay there way and free up 3 extra scholarships to be used on kids from SEC country or TX that could provide depth or talent elsewhere. Barney's kids were coming to NU regardless, essentially this would have enabled NU to have 3 "extra" scholarship athletes. Dumb.

This further proves the stupidity of Barney Cotton. He obviously makes plenty of money to send his kids to college on his own. Why not pay there way and free up 3 extra scholarships to be used on kids from SEC country or TX that could provide depth or talent elsewhere. Barney's kids were coming to NU regardless, essentially this would have enabled NU to have 3 "extra" scholarship athletes. Dumb.

You're telling me you're saying no to free money for your kids even when you may make enough to pay? Wow that's dedication. A scholarship will also look better on any resume, regardless if its athletic, it will help.

You're telling me you're saying no to free money for your kids even when you may make enough to pay? Wow that's dedication. A scholarship will also look better on any resume, regardless if its athletic, it will help.

If it were me in the same position I would certainly be opening up the 3 scholarships that could be used on kids that could be gamebreakers.

edit: I thought i had heard somewhere the Makovicka's actually did this back in the 90's to make way for someone. I could be wrong though.

If they received the "family discount", they could not play football.

I don't think you can play football if you are on a full-ride academic scholarship either. There was an article quite a while ago about an NU student athlete that had to choose between a full-ride academic scholarship or walking on and playing a game he loved. He chose the academics.

In order to keep schools from gaming the system you must have no money from the school and be a walk on, or be on athletic scholarship. There are also a bunch of other benefits that a player gets from being on scholarship that walk-ons don't I believe. I think that the special meals in the dorms are only for scholly players but I could be wrong on that one. I know that all of Ferentz's kids at Iowa were on football scholarship to be within NCAA rules.

In order to keep schools from gaming the system you must have no money from the school and be a walk on, or be on athletic scholarship. There are also a bunch of other benefits that a player gets from being on scholarship that walk-ons don't I believe. I think that the special meals in the dorms are only for scholly players but I could be wrong on that one. I know that all of Ferentz's kids at Iowa were on football scholarship to be within NCAA rules.

There's one minor caveat: the rules for being on scholarship only apply if the player actually takes the field. For example, a few years ago a scholarship wrestler walked onto the footbll team. He was on the wrestling schollie until he played in a football game, and then he was officially on a football scholarship (bigger sport counts the schollie). I believe this also applies to academic scholarships.

If it were me in the same position I would certainly be opening up the 3 scholarships that could be used on kids that could be gamebreakers.

edit: I thought i had heard somewhere the Makovicka's actually did this back in the 90's to make way for someone. I could be wrong though.

Sorry but I wouldn't eat the cost of my kids tuition so we can make room for someone else. Why should I pay out of my pocket if my kids are good enough to get the scholarship? There is no guarantee Barney will be receiving a salary from NU for the rest of his days. He may have a job now with good pay but he does work hard for it. Cotton could be out the door next season and he might have to move and get another job likely with less pay so again...why would anyone eat the cost if the scholarships are earned?

• Fire 1

Sorry but I wouldn't eat the cost of my kids tuition so we can make room for someone else. Why should I pay out of my pocket if my kids are good enough to get the scholarship? There is no guarantee Barney will be receiving a salary from NU for the rest of his days. He may have a job now with good pay but he does work hard for it. Cotton could be out the door next season and he might have to move and get another job likely with less pay so again...why would anyone eat the cost if the scholarships are earned?

Exactly.

I think everybody & Barney know improvement from the Oline is required this year.

Don't get me started on this topic. I've put my two cents in on this topic in the recruiting forum, but I'll keep it simple here.

If anyone thinks that any of the Cotton boys would have been good enough to earn football scholorships to the University of Nebraska (especially in a year when schollys are at a premium)if their father wasn't a coach then they are a moron. Therefore they are wasted scholorships.

Having said that I respect the fact that they want to be Huskers and I hope they prove me wrong.

all i can say is that barny needs to show he can turn this line around this year we will see if all the help they hired will do any good. As far as his sons go for getting schollys we dont know all the logistics behind this but they very well have earn them i dont see bo "wasting" schollys if they werent talented enough to get them. lets see how they play out. we dont need to bash his kids for his mistakes on the staff.

Don't get me started on this topic. I've put my two cents in on this topic in the recruiting forum, but I'll keep it simple here.

If anyone thinks that any of the Cotton boys would have been good enough to earn football scholorships to the University of Nebraska (especially in a year when schollys are at a premium)if their father wasn't a coach then they are a moron. Therefore they are wasted scholorships.

Having said that I respect the fact that they want to be Huskers and I hope they prove me wrong.

Yeah, that starting TE is TOTAL waste of a schollie. I mean, he's only likely to be a 3 year starter for this team - what happened to that 4th year? We should just get rid of the whole lot of 'em!!! :sarcasm (just in case)