Wilson to Wiscy

I’m not saying Russell Wilson is the best ever but to dismiss him like he is some chump is pretty silly. The guy had 9638 (8549 passing and 1089 rushing) total yards with 93 total td’s (76 passing and 17 rushing) during his time at NC State. He was 10th in the nation last year in Total Offense and although he was 62nd in passer rating in 2010 in 2009 he was 15th. For those saying he throws a high number of interceptions for his career he is at 76 tds to 26 ints.

At Wisconsin he won’t be asked to carry the offense on his shoulders and he will also be surrounded by a better team.

Somebody compared him to Josh Freeman a “true duel treat”. Freeman for his career averaged 1.6 YPC, ran for less yards (343), threw for less yards (8078), threw for less tds (44), had a lower passer rating (124.73) and threw more interceptions (34).

He was 1st Team All ACC as a Freshman, Honorable Mention as a Sophomore and 2nd Team as a Junior.

Here is another thing about Wilson. Last year NC State was sacked 29 times for a loss of 229 yards. They played 3 QBs, Wilson, Glennon and imhoff. Wilson lost 232 yards (667 before lost yards), Glennon lost 0 yards and imhoff lost 4 yards. So it appears the only time Wilson losses yards when he runs is if he gets sacked.

Too many people here are looking at his stats from his time at NC St, and are trying to use them as a predictor for what he'll do at UW.

What he was asked to do at NC St, and what he'll be asked to do for UW will be 2 entirely different things. For NC St, he spent his time in a shotgun offense, throwing 40+ times per game.

For those questioning the rest of the team, the OL really isn't a worry at all.

badgerman, this is what I was trying to say. I am not even going to say Iowa can slow you down this year, but if our O is as good as we hope and signs point to, we wont have to. It would be weird playing Wiskey/Iowa scoring in the 40's huh? I was shocked last year it broke into the 30's. Biggest key for so many teams in our side of the conf this year is injuries, one or two could take any team out of the running. I hope that doesnt happen, I would hate to see whoever represents our side go into Indy banged up and have to play you or whoever over there if you are all healthy and on a roll.

Too many people here are looking at his stats from his time at NC St, and are trying to use them as a predictor for what he'll do at UW.

What he was asked to do at NC St, and what he'll be asked to do for UW will be 2 entirely different things.

For NC St, he spent his time in a shotgun offense, throwing 40+ times per game.

At UW, I would guess 70% of our pass game is out of play action, because of our strong run game. Our QBs typically have a lot of easy throws - lots of TE & WR motion, lots of guys crossing the field off play action, lots of clearing routes. That's why we usually have a high completion &, and a low number of Ints. It's a function of the offense's design. He won't have to make play after play with his arm. He'll have to complete the easy throws, and move the chains. He will give us one thing Tolzien could not - the ability to escape pressure when the pocket breaks down, and get some yards with his legs.

For those questioning the rest of the team, the OL really isn't a worry at all. We're moving the RT to LT. Kid has been a rock for us at RT, and has the athletic ability to play LT. The starting LG will be a kid who started at C as a true freshman, before a high ankle sprain ended his year. He redshrited last year, due to our OL depth. Bielema often said he was the best OL in practice last fall. Kid is 6-3 330. Just a mauler. C & RG will be the same. RT will be either Josh Oglesby, a 2 year starter who redshirted last fall with a knee injury, or else likely Rob Havenstein, a 6-7 340 RS Fr.

LB was mentioned earlier. We get Chris Borland back, moving from WLB to MLB. He redshirted last year with a broken arm. Kid is the best football player on the team. We could play him at RB, TE, FB, DE, LB, S, or K - he would be an impact player wherever he was. At SLB, Mike Taylor has fully recovered from an ACL 2 years ago, that had him playing at half speed last year. We will have a new WLB this fall.

At S, we lose Jay Valai. Great attitude, great leader, great locker room guy, but a lousy tackler and cover man. Was a huge hitter, but tried to make every tackle at full speed, and often overran the ball carrier or whiffed completely because he simply refused to break down and make a tackle under control. What we lose in leadership, we make a huge gain in actual playmaking ability.

Outside of QB, our real worry was finding a DE who could replace the impact we got from JJ Watt. We have a lot of good, young DEs, just no one who has shown he can be that guy. We have a couple of outstanding athletes at DE, but so far their production hasn't matched their ability. I'm hoping our S&C guy can flip one of their switches, and get one of the guys to play to their ability. He did it 2 years ago with O'Brien Schofield, and did it last year with JJ. He has a way of really reaching guys and getting them to seize the opportunity before them.

DE, WR, & CB will be a concern for me, until I actually see guys making plays. Everywhere else, we have above average depth, and at some positions we're deeper than we've ever been - RB, TE, OL, DT, LB. That's why getting Wilson was such a big deal. We could run a QB out there that we could win with, but he wouldn't have the game experience that Wilson is going to bring.

Nice scouting report. Thank you.

Wisky like Iowa, needs a game manager at qb to win. Wilson's problems are his turnovers, if history is relevant that will result in teams like Wisky and Iowa to have a sub-par year (excluding Iowa 2009).

As stated before he does not seem to be a dual threat qb, but he does have scrambling abilities which is important on 3rd down and long, when everyone is covered. I would suspect Wisky to use him as a pro style qb, relying on the offensive line to cover him, pass first and run second type mentality. Knowing Brett he will dial something up (rushing wise)for his qb in every game.

Wisky like Iowa, needs a game manager at qb to win. Wilson's problems are his turnovers, if history is relevant that will result in teams like Wisky and Iowa to have a sub-par year (excluding Iowa 2009).

As stated before he does not seem to be a dual threat qb, but he does have scrambling abilities which is important on 3rd down and long, when everyone is covered. I would suspect Wisky to use him as a pro style qb, relying on the offensive line to cover him, pass first and run second type mentality. Knowing Brett he will dial something up (rushing wise)for his qb in every game.

I think we are likely to see some QB draws in the right down and distance situations, I expect to see some waggle/bootleg plays to the TEs & FBs in play action.

Our OC has really been able to change/tweak his scheme and play calls to take advantage of his players' abilities, and minimize their weaknesses.

I think we are likely to see some QB draws in the right down and distance situations, I expect to see some waggle/bootleg plays to the TEs & FBs in play action.

Our OC has really been able to change/tweak his scheme and play calls to take advantage of his players' abilities, and minimize their weaknesses.

Or you could rely on fake punts. Did'nt the Rose teach you anything?

I have not even looked at Wilson, I have no idea what kind of Qb he is. He will need to have a laser to suceed in Wiskeys pro set. If he cant put it into tight areas, they will fail.

Well, does it concern you that after conference play started Wilson threw 17 TDs to 13 INTs? I would be concerned about that, especially considering the fact that he threw at least one pick in each of his last nine games last year, and several of those were against Pass D's ranked under 75th in the nation (I accidentally threw away my spreadsheet with the actual factual numbers yesterday).

I would not accuse Russell Wilson of being an incredibly accurate passer. He's adequate, but he's erratic, and he has killed a lot of drives for his team against some very weak opponents. He has a lot of work to do this summer if he's going to improve on his 2010 campaign.

Knapplc, do not take this wrong but 2010, did I some how revert back to the year 2010? Just askin

If you guys watched him, he is a good QB especially with what he did at NC STATE. You guys do realize that NC state had horrible talent surrounding him right? "What he did with NC State wasnt impressive"...hmm, he WAS the offense and all the defenses only had to key in on him. NC state ranked 95th in rushing yards, their rbs were HORRIBLE yet they ranked 18th in passing yards with NO RUNNING GAME, now THAT is impressive. NC state Wr's arent that great neither. Wilson also threw for 3655 yards with an 59 completion percentage threw for 28 td and only 14 int despite NC state having NO running game and despite NC State's WRS not being very good besides Spencer. Remember, he will be surrounded with a better rb, a better oline and better WR's...This will probably be the only game we lose the whole year.

• Fire 1

Wilson at badger land coming this season, to the fans out there I hope he is not a bust for ya. Before a few wet their pants about playing a game against the badgers, I would like to point out that we have a good D. The hype is what it is for this Wilson. The badgers are going to have to earn their points on the gridiron against us. Yeah, I like the idea that it will swing the prediction to the badgers favor to win it all this year. It will be fun making them earn it, if they can with this superstar.

You played teams like Who? The teams you played last year, the badgers ran the score up for the browning points (BCS). This year you have a pampered schedule too. So, checkmate on your OC with Carl Pelini DC.

Wilson at badger land coming this season, to the fans out there I hope he is not a bust for ya. Before a few wet their pants about playing a game against the badgers, I would like to point out that we have a good D. The hype is what it is for this Wilson. The badgers are going to have to earn their points on the gridiron against us. Yeah, I like the idea that it will swing the prediction to the badgers favor to win it all this year. It will be fun making them earn it, if they can with this superstar.

The problem is that our defense isnt nearly as good as the past two years. David was the only guy in the dline/lb position that did well. Crick and steinkular played ok and didnt get great play from our other lb spot. Dennard will be a great CB but ciante wont be a shut down corner, our FS position is a question mark, osborne will be a decent SS but will still be inexperienced, may, fisher and compton still have to proof themselves..this d can get yards racked up against them and i feel wisconsin will be able to move the ball now with wilson at the helm :(. Lets hope im wrong