Wilson to Wiscy

The thing is, his running ability is vastly overrated. Against ACC defenses weak against the run he only averaged 2.98 YPC. That's hardly impressive.

Take a true dual-threat guy like Josh Freeman from KSU for a comparator. Freeman ran for 3.8 YPC his senior year and threw for 3,000 yards and 20 TDs. All comparable or better stats than Wilson. But Freeman had been in a system he understood for three years, while Wilson is moving to a new offense (despite the feel-good quote in the paper). It's just not going to be that easy for him, I think.

I agree, it could be hard for him. It could end up being a big mistake. I dont know about going from a spread to pro thou. If he plays I would fully expect them to bring him up to speed slowly. More rush attempts early in the season, would allow him time to better understand the pro style AND (this is important), allow him time to realize he has a good O-line in front of him. Then he can relax a bit and get rid of the happy feet, scan the field better and set his feet to make the pass.

If he starts against Nebraska, I would not expect a whole lot out of him. I think Bret will use the running game early on, with hopes that when 3/4 of the year is done, Wilson will start hitting his stride. IMHO, thats the best shot they have.

If you dont think O-line's had anything to do with Stanzi's or Tolzien's numbers last year, I suggest you think again. Can Wilson grasp that fast enough is the biggest question.

I think even more important is how good Wisky's OL is this season, especially early. I know everyone expects them to just reload, but they lost some serious talent and experience. Might take the OL and QB half the season to really get in sync.

The thing is, his running ability is vastly overrated. Against ACC defenses weak against the run he only averaged 2.98 YPC. That's hardly impressive.

Take a true dual-threat guy like Josh Freeman from KSU for a comparator. Freeman ran for 3.8 YPC his senior year and threw for 3,000 yards and 20 TDs. All comparable or better stats than Wilson. But Freeman had been in a system he understood for three years, while Wilson is moving to a new offense (despite the feel-good quote in the paper). It's just not going to be that easy for him, I think.

I agree, it could be hard for him. It could end up being a big mistake. I dont know about going from a spread to pro thou. If he plays I would fully expect them to bring him up to speed slowly. More rush attempts early in the season, would allow him time to better understand the pro style AND (this is important), allow him time to realize he has a good O-line in front of him. Then he can relax a bit and get rid of the happy feet, scan the field better and set his feet to make the pass.

If he starts against Nebraska, I would not expect a whole lot out of him. I think Bret will use the running game early on, with hopes that when 3/4 of the year is done, Wilson will start hitting his stride. IMHO, thats the best shot they have.

If you dont think O-line's had anything to do with Stanzi's or Tolzien's numbers last year, I suggest you think again. Can Wilson grasp that fast enough is the biggest question.

I think even more important is how good Wisky's OL is this season, especially early. I know everyone expects them to just reload, but they lost some serious talent and experience. Might take the OL and QB half the season to really get in sync.

I think they are pretty set on OL. If the OL is as good as they say, he wont have to make to many passes early on. Good OL, good RB's equal alot less pressure on Wilson. Like I said I dont think it changes much, they are still going to have to be run heavy, atleast for the first part of the season.

Wilson is good but the question is how well and quickly he can adjust to his new scheme and teammates? Masoli tried to do a similar deal last year to pretty meh results.

Same could be said Cam Newton except for better results.

Wilson is good but the question is how well and quickly he can adjust to his new scheme and teammates? Masoli tried to do a similar deal last year to pretty meh results.

That's a good point. A good QB on an already good team, if they gel, can be downright scary. Newton being the best example, and most recent. Masoli is another, and it'll be interesting to see which guy Wilson emulates.

@bigg10, I'm not sure what you meant about me not thinking the O Line was related to Stanzi's and Tolzien's success. I'm a huge proponent of offensive line importance, so I'm not sure what I said to give you the impression I'm minimizing that. The "pipeline" they have at Wiscy is probably the single biggest reason Wilson might succeed. I'm not impressed with his passing targets, but the Wiscy run game could be even better with a more mobile QB at the helm than Tolzien.

That's a good point. A good QB on an already good team, if they gel, can be downright scary. Newton being the best example, and most recent. Masoli is another, and it'll be interesting to see which guy Wilson emulates.

@bigg10, I'm not sure what you meant about me not thinking the O Line was related to Stanzi's and Tolzien's success. I'm a huge proponent of offensive line importance, so I'm not sure what I said to give you the impression I'm minimizing that. The "pipeline" they have at Wiscy is probably the single biggest reason Wilson might succeed. I'm not impressed with his passing targets, but the Wiscy run game could be even better with a more mobile QB at the helm than Tolzien.

Knap I wasnt directing that at you, sorry. I just get the feeling people do not give enough credit to OL when a QB is doing good, or a RB for that matter. I have not even looked at Wilson, I have no idea what kind of Qb he is. He will need to have a laser to suceed in Wiskeys pro set. If he cant put it into tight areas, they will fail.

I have not even looked at Wilson, I have no idea what kind of Qb he is. He will need to have a laser to suceed in Wiskeys pro set. If he cant put it into tight areas, they will fail.

Well, does it concern you that after conference play started Wilson threw 17 TDs to 13 INTs? I would be concerned about that, especially considering the fact that he threw at least one pick in each of his last nine games last year, and several of those were against Pass D's ranked under 75th in the nation (I accidentally threw away my spreadsheet with the actual factual numbers yesterday).

I would not accuse Russell Wilson of being an incredibly accurate passer. He's adequate, but he's erratic, and he has killed a lot of drives for his team against some very weak opponents. He has a lot of work to do this summer if he's going to improve on his 2010 campaign.

I have not even looked at Wilson, I have no idea what kind of Qb he is. He will need to have a laser to suceed in Wiskeys pro set. If he cant put it into tight areas, they will fail.

Well, does it concern you that after conference play started Wilson threw 17 TDs to 13 INTs? I would be concerned about that, especially considering the fact that he threw at least one pick in each of his last nine games last year, and several of those were against Pass D's ranked under 75th in the nation (I accidentally threw away my spreadsheet with the actual factual numbers yesterday).

I would not accuse Russell Wilson of being an incredibly accurate passer. He's adequate, but he's erratic, and he has killed a lot of drives for his team against some very weak opponents. He has a lot of work to do this summer if he's going to improve on his 2010 campaign.

It can be done, as Iowa proved with Stanzi BUT when Stanzi was having some problems Iowas D was ranked in the top 10 if I remember right and they held almost everyone to under 20 and many to under 15. Wiskey is not bragging to much about a stellar D this year.

I stand by my first post, they are going to continue to do things the way they always have. I think the whole thing is, they are coming off a good year, they know they have MOST of the peices put together for another good year and they NEEDED a qb to do it. Without a QB they knew they would have a tough time repeating. So they took the best they could get. It's a gamble, but what other choice did they have? He could bring just enough scramble ability for it to work out, who knows. Their bread and butter has been and will contiue to be a good OL and good RB's. Their DL is usually pretty good as well, but nothing compared to the OL.

Make no mistake, they like to cram it right at you, they are good at it, it has worked for them. You dont just go away from that, ( a lesson I think the Rose taught them) I dont care if Elway is your QB.

I think you're right. I doubt Wisconsin decides to reinvent the wheel just because Wilson is on campus. The only thing is, the guy runs a 4.69 40. He's not going to be a major player in their running game with that kind of speed - at least not against Nebraska or Ohio State.

I think you're right. I doubt Wisconsin decides to reinvent the wheel just because Wilson is on campus. The only thing is, the guy runs a 4.69 40. He's not going to be a major player in their running game with that kind of speed - at least not against Nebraska or Ohio State.

Or against anyone. No I think he will be instucted that if he can make the pass, do so, if the pocket gets tight scramble and try to make the pass or get positive yards (even 1 or 2) if all else fails. THROW IT AWAY and we will go back to the run. All he needs to do is keep D honest.

I think they are pretty set on OL. If the OL is as good as they say, he wont have to make to many passes early on. Good OL, good RB's equal alot less pressure on Wilson. Like I said I dont think it changes much, they are still going to have to be run heavy, atleast for the first part of the season.

Seriously?!? Yes one can state that they have reserves that have started a game here and there, but you just don't roll out the same results after losing the left side of your line(by the way that is also Wilson's blind side) who were both All-Americans last year. THey are talking about moving their RT to LT and a back up center coming off a redshirt year to guard. Then looking at former ubber recruit Josh Ogilsby at RT and he is coming off knee surgery. Thinking the line will take a samll step back.

But whatever. I wish only the best Sam Keller to them.

Too many people here are looking at his stats from his time at NC St, and are trying to use them as a predictor for what he'll do at UW.

What he was asked to do at NC St, and what he'll be asked to do for UW will be 2 entirely different things.

For NC St, he spent his time in a shotgun offense, throwing 40+ times per game.

At UW, I would guess 70% of our pass game is out of play action, because of our strong run game. Our QBs typically have a lot of easy throws - lots of TE & WR motion, lots of guys crossing the field off play action, lots of clearing routes. That's why we usually have a high completion &, and a low number of Ints. It's a function of the offense's design. He won't have to make play after play with his arm. He'll have to complete the easy throws, and move the chains. He will give us one thing Tolzien could not - the ability to escape pressure when the pocket breaks down, and get some yards with his legs.

For those questioning the rest of the team, the OL really isn't a worry at all. We're moving the RT to LT. Kid has been a rock for us at RT, and has the athletic ability to play LT. The starting LG will be a kid who started at C as a true freshman, before a high ankle sprain ended his year. He redshrited last year, due to our OL depth. Bielema often said he was the best OL in practice last fall. Kid is 6-3 330. Just a mauler. C & RG will be the same. RT will be either Josh Oglesby, a 2 year starter who redshirted last fall with a knee injury, or else likely Rob Havenstein, a 6-7 340 RS Fr.

LB was mentioned earlier. We get Chris Borland back, moving from WLB to MLB. He redshirted last year with a broken arm. Kid is the best football player on the team. We could play him at RB, TE, FB, DE, LB, S, or K - he would be an impact player wherever he was. At SLB, Mike Taylor has fully recovered from an ACL 2 years ago, that had him playing at half speed last year. We will have a new WLB this fall.

At S, we lose Jay Valai. Great attitude, great leader, great locker room guy, but a lousy tackler and cover man. Was a huge hitter, but tried to make every tackle at full speed, and often overran the ball carrier or whiffed completely because he simply refused to break down and make a tackle under control. What we lose in leadership, we make a huge gain in actual playmaking ability.

Outside of QB, our real worry was finding a DE who could replace the impact we got from JJ Watt. We have a lot of good, young DEs, just no one who has shown he can be that guy. We have a couple of outstanding athletes at DE, but so far their production hasn't matched their ability. I'm hoping our S&C guy can flip one of their switches, and get one of the guys to play to their ability. He did it 2 years ago with O'Brien Schofield, and did it last year with JJ. He has a way of really reaching guys and getting them to seize the opportunity before them.

DE, WR, & CB will be a concern for me, until I actually see guys making plays. Everywhere else, we have above average depth, and at some positions we're deeper than we've ever been - RB, TE, OL, DT, LB. That's why getting Wilson was such a big deal. We could run a QB out there that we could win with, but he wouldn't have the game experience that Wilson is going to bring.

For those questioning the rest of the team, the OL really isn't a worry at all. We're moving the RT to LT. Kid has been a rock for us at RT, and has the athletic ability to play LT. The starting LG will be a kid who started at C as a true freshman, before a high ankle sprain ended his year.

I'm not arguing with you (I don't know much of anything about Wisconsin) but this post cracked me up because I just read the following post for the first time:

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/52666-washington-at-nebraska-preview/page__view__findpost__p__779059

It's interesting how similar these preview posts are by fans of ALL teams. (Nebraska included, Husky fan.)

It's almost like you could start with a template and just plug in names.

We lost _____, _______, and _________ . . . but _________, __________, and _____________, will be at least as good if not better.

We recruited _______________ last year and he was the _______ best (random position) and he is AWESOME.

The defense last year (was awesome/sucked) but you can be sure that it will be better with _______ lining up at _________.

Did you know that __________ was a Heisman candidate? Yes, he graduated, but _____________ looked INCREDIBLE during spring scrimmages.