Wilson to Wiscy

I still don't get all the hype for this guy. He has a decent scrambling ability, but that's about it. I've watched just about every highlight video on him on YouTube. He's got a decent arm, but his accuracy and decision-making are questionable (a ton of under-throws where the WR bailed him out). Plus, he's been playing against ACC "defenses" for 3 years.

I still don't get all the hype for this guy. He has a decent scrambling ability, but that's about it. I've watched just about every highlight video on him on YouTube. He's got a decent arm, but his accuracy and decision-making are questionable (a ton of under-throws where the WR bailed him out). Plus, he's been playing against ACC "defenses" for 3 years.

Agreed. I think the guy is good, but not great. He won't instantly make Wiscy better, nor is he better than Tolzien. He's going to have to learn new terminology and accustom himself to his teammates, scheme and tendencies at Wisconsin. I think he puts them in a better situation than they were after Tolzien graduated, but this isn't a major game-changing decision.

While I believe it upgrades Wisconsin's QB situation, it will take time for him to adjust like others said. Where Wisc will be dangerous is still running the ball. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he a 1 yr guy? If so, I feel the odds for those types to be immensely successful are low, JMO. I.e. our own Sam Keller with a redshirt year under his belt, Greg Paulus and Jeremiah Masoli. I know the Wisc has more talent than the teams that the QBs were apart of, but being in a system for a few years counts for something.

• Fire 1

While I believe it upgrades Wisconsin's QB situation, it will take time for him to adjust like others said. Where Wisc will be dangerous is still running the ball. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he a 1 yr guy? If so, I feel the odds for those types to be immensely successful are low, JMO. I.e. our own Sam Keller with a redshirt year under his belt, Greg Paulus and Jeremiah Masoli. I know the Wisc has more talent than the teams that the QBs were apart of, but being in a system for a few years counts for something.

1 year, and no RS.

1 year, and no RS.

Appreciated, which even strengthens my thinking. That pic is outta control funny. Haha!

This does make this game a lot more difficult. Russell Wilson is a good passer, but what makes him more worrisome to me is his ability to run the ball as well. Hopefully we get the kind of defensive performance we had against Tyrod Taylor and Virginia Tech in 2009 - we were less effective at containing the QB in 2010.

I went through Wilson's conference games last year and pulled some numbers. Is Wilson really a home run for Wiscy? To be sure, he's not a bad athlete. But this isn't exactly a guy to be terrified of.

On the ground he's serviceable. He's no Tyrod Taylor, probably the best dual-threat QB we've faced in the past few years, and frankly he's not even terribly impressive. Against ACC rush defenses that average 41.8 in the nation Wilson ran for a rather pedestrian 2.98 YPC. He played three Rush Defenses ranked in the top 25 in the ACC and scored twice (both against #21 Rush D Maryland), and cracked 50 yards once (against the Terps).

It's passing that I think puts Wilson in the "overrated" category. The Pass Defenses he faced in the ACC averaged a 60.6 ranking, or pretty much smack in the middle of the FBS. Wilson racked up 300 or more yards passing in six of eight conference games, and threw for two or more TDs five times. The problem is turnovers. Wilson threw 11 picks last year against rather pedestrian pass defenses. He threw a pick in every game, including to the 92nd-rated Pass Defense of Wake Forest. Overall he threw 17 TDs to 11 INTs in conference – hardly a ratio to boast about.

And it can't be stressed enough that this was in a system with which he was familiar, having been a three-year starter at NC State. It also cannot be stressed enough that Tom O'Brien is the Bee's Knees when it comes to developing QB talent. O'Brien has been coaching in the ACC 19 years, and six times he's had the ACC first-team QB. Wilson wasn't so special that a guy who absolutely understands QB talent was afraid to let him go.

I see Wilson as a talented athlete with solid skills, but also as a guy who was likely a product of O'Brien's proven system. I think he'll be the best QB at Wiscy this year, so by getting him they've improved their lot, but I'm not sold on the idea that we need to be more concerned about Wiscy now than we were yesterday.

And that's not to mention the fact that Bo knows quite well how to defend a mobile QB like Wilson.

Edited because I had a brain spasm.

I went through Wilson's conference games last year and pulled some numbers. Is Wilson really a home run for Wiscy? To be sure, he's not a bad athlete. But this isn't exactly a guy to be terrified of.

On the ground he's serviceable. He's no Tyrod Taylor, probably the best dual-threat QB we've faced in the past few years, and frankly he's not even terribly impressive. Against ACC rush defenses that average 41.8 in the nation Wilson ran for a rather pedestrian 2.98 YPC. He played three Rush Defenses ranked in the top 25 in the ACC and scored twice (both against #21 Rush D Maryland), and cracked 50 yards once (against the Terps).

It's passing that I think puts Wilson in the "overrated" category. The Pass Defenses he faced in the ACC averaged a 60.6 ranking, or pretty much smack in the middle of the FBS. Wilson racked up 300 or more yards passing in six of eight conference games, and threw for two or more TDs five times. The problem is turnovers. Wilson threw 11 picks last year against rather pedestrian pass defenses. He threw a pick in every game, including to the 92nd-rated Pass Defense of Wake Forest. Overall he threw 17 TDs to 11 INTs in conference – hardly a ratio to boast about.

And it can't be stressed enough that this was in a system with which he was familiar, having been a three-year starter at South Carolina. It also cannot be stressed enough that Tom O'Brien is the Bee's Knees when it comes to developing QB talent. O'Brien has been coaching in the ACC 19 years, and six times he's had the ACC first-team QB. Wilson wasn't so special that a guy who absolutely understands QB talent was afraid to let him go.

I see Wilson as a talented athlete with solid skills, but also as a guy who was likely a product of O'Brien's proven system. I think he'll be the best QB at Wiscy this year, so by getting him they've improved their lot, but I'm not sold on the idea that we need to be more concerned about Wiscy now than we were yesterday.

And that's not to mention the fact that Bo knows quite well how to defend a mobile QB like Wilson.

You meant North Carolina State, right?