Big Ten position rankings: Secondary

3. Nebraska: Like Ohio State, Nebraska can rely on having an elite pass defense under the Pelini brothers, even after losing several standout players. All-American corner Prince Amukamara will be missed, but Alfonzo Dennard is ready for a starring role. Nebraska needs Ciante Evans to follow what Dennard did in 2010. The Huskers likely will use more linebackers this year, but they'll need to fill holes at safety as Austin Cassidy, Courtney Osborne and others are in the mix.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/28989/big-ten-position-rankings-secondary-3

I have a feeling that by the end of the year we should be up a couple spots.

I would put Nebraska and Ohio State at 1 and 2, and they're basically interchangeable at this point. I would put Penn State below both NU and OSU, and I'm not sure why they have the Nittany Lions above us. PSU gave up a 61% completion rate last year to Nebraska's 48%. Opponents completed 24 more passes against Penn State than against Nebraska, but Nebraska's opponents threw the ball 40 more times than Penn State's opponents. We were far better than PSU in Yards Per Attempt (5.52 compared to 6.71) and INTs (19 compared to 10).

Turnovers are a big deal here, because while we lose nine INTs from last year (Hagg's 5, Gomes' 3 and Thenarse's 1), all that does is bring us equal to PSU. Fonzie had four picks and PJ Smith had three, and Courtney Osborne, Austin Cassidy and Anthony West each had one. Rittenberg cites PSU's returning experience... I'll put our guys up against the Penn State experience any day.

• Fire 2

:yeah

That was the first thing that came to mind for me too. We came from a conference full of spread offenses and pass happy teams. Even without Prince our secondary will be top notch. What was with the comment on Cassidy and Osborne being "in the mix"? They are returning starters.

I would put Nebraska and Ohio State at 1 and 2, and they're basically interchangeable at this point. I would put Penn State below both NU and OSU, and I'm not sure why they have the Nittany Lions above us. PSU gave up a 61% completion rate last year to Nebraska's 48%. Opponents completed 24 more passes against Penn State than against Nebraska, but Nebraska's opponents threw the ball 40 more times than Penn State's opponents. We were far better than PSU in Yards Per Attempt (5.52 compared to 6.71) and INTs (19 compared to 10).

Turnovers are a big deal here, because while we lose nine INTs from last year (Hagg's 5, Gomes' 3 and Thenarse's 1), all that does is bring us equal to PSU. Fonzie had four picks and PJ Smith had three, and Courtney Osborne, Austin Cassidy and Anthony West each had one. Rittenberg cites PSU's returning experience... I'll put our guys up against the Penn State experience any day.

unless Im mistaked, Anthony West graduated.

I can't see Dennard with any less than 5 picks this year. He'll get attacked more because of his size, but he's still got the skills to be a hawk. P.J. Smith showed a bit of that last year too in limited PT. We should be considered at least a tie for the best secondary in the B1G by the end of the year.

Does PSU return more men than us?