Texas A&M is rattling the SEC sabre again because of ESPN 8: The Bevo

Is it possible A&M could lobby for a 50% share in Texas' profits in their private network and sharing programming? The legislature could make it happen in order to keep them together.

People keep bringing up the legislature, but they're not a factor in this for the next two years unless Rick "Adios Mofo" Perry calls a special session. They just ended their last session, and they don't meet again until 2013, after the elections (IIRC). I don't think Perry wants to expend political capital on this, so until he does that makes this a non-factor.

Then again, this may be why there's a rush on this--to get the deal approved before a special session can be called for.

Yes they are a factor. They would be called back if one of the state's flagship school decides to leave the Big 12.

Seems like wishful thinking.

Nah just more texas arrogance. (Snotty voice) They can't just leave. You'll see.

Is it possible A&M could lobby for a 50% share in Texas' profits in their private network and sharing programming? The legislature could make it happen in order to keep them together.

People keep bringing up the legislature, but they're not a factor in this for the next two years unless Rick "Adios Mofo" Perry calls a special session. They just ended their last session, and they don't meet again until 2013, after the elections (IIRC). I don't think Perry wants to expend political capital on this, so until he does that makes this a non-factor.

Then again, this may be why there's a rush on this--to get the deal approved before a special session can be called for.

Yes they are a factor. They would be called back if one of the state's flagship school decides to leave the Big 12.

By who? the Aggy yell leader Governor in the middle of launching a presidential campaign? Puh-lease.

Care to change your respone?

"Texas Rep. Dan Branch said a meeting of the Higher Education Committee of the state's House of Representatives has been scheduled for Tuesday in part "because we are hearing Texas A&M and the SEC are talking more seriously and we are hearing about a possible vote (for invitation) by SEC presidents."

Branch said he's heard the SEC vote could be as early as Saturday and members of the committee want to ensure their questions about what is in the best interest of the state of Texas and its students are addressed.

"There are millions of dollars at stake," Branch said. "And this could affect students at other schools like Texas, Texas Tech and Baylor."

Branch referred to the potential impact of A&M's departure on television contracts.

By who? the Aggy yell leader Governor in the middle of launching a presidential campaign? Puh-lease.

"Texas Rep. Dan Branch said a meeting of the Higher Education Committee of the state's House of Representatives has been scheduled for Tuesday in part "because we are hearing Texas A&M and the SEC are talking more seriously and we are hearing about a possible vote (for invitation) by SEC presidents."

Branch said he's heard the SEC vote could be as early as Saturday and members of the committee want to ensure their questions about what is in the best interest of the state of Texas and its students are addressed.

"There are millions of dollars at stake," Branch said. "And this could affect students at other schools like Texas, Texas Tech and Baylor."

Branch referred to the potential impact of A&M's departure on television contracts.

No, that's a committee. They can bluster all they want but they cant vote on anything.

Also see the aTm BOR meeting moved up to monday and agenda item #15.

15) Authorization for the President to Take All Actions Relating to Texas A&M University¿s Athletic Conference Alignment, The Texas A&M University System

2008s1y.gif

Interesting that they're meeting on Tuesday... and the Board of Regents meeting for Texas A&M has been moved up to Monday, with the SEC people evidently voting Saturday or Sunday. I think this happens before that committee even gets a chance to say anything. Good for A&M, to take the wind out of the sails of politicians who don't even meet again until '13.

Edit: Gah... redblooded beat me to it. :D

another Texas troll! Why do you keep joining? and LMAO at the A&M Board of Regents meeting the day before Texas' HOR

FREEEEEEEEE!!!!!

So happy to be leaving this stupid conference and Dan Beebe!

Yes, the A&M BOR pushed the meeting up to 3 PM on Monday. Line item #15 on the agenda:

"15. Authorization for the President to Take All Actions Relating to Texas A&M University¿s Athletic Conference Alignment, The Texas A&M University System "

My link

I think if we didn't leave, there'd be mutiny of the fans (everyone wanted to go last summer).

Anyways, been a while since I posted on this board. I'll be seeing y'all in a few months - I'm married to a Michigan grad and we just got our season tickets. Y'all always were the best Big 12 fanbase so glad I still get to run into you!

• Fire 1

another Texas troll! Why do you keep joining? and LMAO as the A&M Board of Regents meeting the day before Texas' HOR

I'm on a Nebraska board as a Horn. I don't expect you to be nice. Here is more info from the DMN.

From the Dallas Morning News -

"The A&M announcement came a few hours after the Texas House Committee on Higher Education, which controls state university funding, announced hearings regarding college athletics, specifically A&Ms possible move to the SEC."

Very important - "controls state university funding" What remains to be seen is how Aggie funding will be impacted. What kind of money is going to be discussed.

As I've been saying, Aggie doesn't get to pick up an move and neither does UT. Texas politics are going to play a huge role. TT and Baylor will also have something to say.

FREEEEEEEEE!!!!!

So happy to be leaving this stupid conference and Dan Beebe!

Yes, the A&M BOR pushed the meeting up to 3 PM on Monday. Line item #15 on the agenda:

"15. Authorization for the President to Take All Actions Relating to Texas A&M University¿s Athletic Conference Alignment, The Texas A&M University System "

My link

I think if we didn't leave, there'd be mutiny of the fans (everyone wanted to go last summer).

Anyways, been a while since I posted on this board. I'll be seeing y'all in a few months - I'm married to a Michigan grad and we just got our season tickets. Y'all always were the best Big 12 fanbase so glad I still get to run into you!

Welcome back! Hope you do come back again during the season.

I am loving seeing A&M doing this. Another smart team getting away from the idiot Dan Bevo and the morons from Austin.

Very important - "controls state university funding" What remains to be seen is how Aggie funding will be impacted. What kind of money is going to be discussed.

As I've been saying, Aggie doesn't get to pick up an move and neither does UT. Texas politics are going to play a huge role. TT and Baylor will also have something to say.

Here's the thing, they cant actually "control state funding" without you know like a bill to put in front of an in session house to vote on that. They can cry about what they "will do" to aggy in 2 years, then they have to survive an election cycle being "the state politicians who are going to punish Texas students because A&M wants to play football in a better conference."

Now I'm not saying there probably aren't plenty of evil old men in politics happy to do that, but that's not a platform you want to be running on.

Meh it's just a hearing. They can't vote on anything unless Gov. Perry calls a special session. Rep. Branch, who called the meeting, wants to make sure this move is in the best interest of the state of Texas. Beebe and Dodds have both said that the Big 12 can continue with 9 and last summer, there was political pressure to add U of Houston - 26 State Reps sent letters to Beebe and Perry. UH *is* the third largest university in Texas and they want some AQ action.

A&M to SEC, UH to Big 12 = all the major Texas schools will have an AQ conference home. Texas will have four public institutions in AQ conferences instead of three. That's definitely good for the state of Texas.

In any event, nobody's going to take money away from 125K students (A&M system-wide) in the midst of a recession right before elections over a football conference, especially if everyone lands ok (which they will).

another Texas troll! Why do you keep joining? and LMAO as the A&M Board of Regents meeting the day before Texas' HOR

I'm on a Nebraska board as a Horn. I don't expect you to be nice. Here is more info from the DMN.

From the Dallas Morning News -

"The A&M announcement came a few hours after the Texas House Committee on Higher Education, which controls state university funding, announced hearings regarding “college athletics,” specifically A&M’s possible move to the SEC."

I thought Baylor was a private school. Do they receive state funding?

Tech is still neck deep in caca over the Mike Leach thing. Something along the lines "sovereign immunity" or some such excuse to not honor a contract. If they argue that aTm can't breach a contract with the big Tex conference, or that aTm leaving would be detrimental to other institutions, they would not have much of a leg to stand on. Why would they have exclusivity to "sovereign immunity"?