Texas A&M is rattling the SEC sabre again because of ESPN 8: The Bevo

Apparently the Brown Clown, Chip Brown, is saying s**t is getting real with the A&M to SEC deal. Aggies have this thread going on their board:

TexAgs.com

Chip Brown said this morning, after talking with several Big 12 school officials, their concern is not necessarily OU. Their concern is A&M and feel this round is very serious this time. He also mentioned reports of Slive being asked this morning, specifically about Texas A&M moving to the SEC, and Slive would not debunk the rumor but remained quiet and looked away.

Apparently the Brown Clown, Chip Brown, is saying s**t is getting real with the A&M to SEC deal. Aggies have this thread going on their board:

TexAgs.com

Chip Brown said this morning, after talking with several Big 12 school officials, their concern is not necessarily OU. Their concern is A&M and feel this round is very serious this time. He also mentioned reports of Slive being asked this morning, specifically about Texas A&M moving to the SEC, and Slive would not debunk the rumor but remained quiet and looked away.

That can't be true, Beebe said yesterday that 30 years ago when he was with the NCAA enforcement he found that a majority of the A&M fans and supporters did not want them moving conferences. :LOLtartar

TexAgs.com

That can't be true, Beebe said yesterday that 30 years ago when he was with the NCAA enforcement he found that a majority of the A&M fans and supporters did not want them moving conferences. :LOLtartar

That's only because the going rate for paying players in the SWC was cheaper than the SEC.

Say what you will about Gary Pinkel, the man stepped up to the mic and spoke his mind at the Big XII Media Days today. He just went up several notches in my estimation on cajones alone:

08:19 AM ET 07.26 | When asked about the Longhorn Network, an oft-approached subject of Big 12 media days, even Mike Sherman held his tongue. Missouri coach Gary Pinkel chose not to. Responding to questions about what was easily the most talked-about topic at Day One of this year's Big 12 media days at the Westin Galleria, Pinkel left no doubts about how he felt about the birth of The Longhorn Network and the desire of its creators to televise high school games along with University of Texas athletics. ... "It's a lack of common sense there to think that the network, the university network, can show high school games on their network," Pinkel continued. "To me, there's no common sense there." Right or wrong, Pinkel, who later in the day called the same thought "ludicrous," was by far the most outspoken coach about the issue.

LINK

Say what you will about Gary Pinkel, the man stepped up to the mic and spoke his mind at the Big XII Media Days today. He just went up several notches in my estimation on cajones alone:

08:19 AM ET 07.26 | When asked about the Longhorn Network, an oft-approached subject of Big 12 media days, even Mike Sherman held his tongue. Missouri coach Gary Pinkel chose not to. Responding to questions about what was easily the most talked-about topic at Day One of this year's Big 12 media days at the Westin Galleria, Pinkel left no doubts about how he felt about the birth of The Longhorn Network and the desire of its creators to televise high school games along with University of Texas athletics. ... "It's a lack of common sense there to think that the network, the university network, can show high school games on their network," Pinkel continued. "To me, there's no common sense there." Right or wrong, Pinkel, who later in the day called the same thought "ludicrous," was by far the most outspoken coach about the issue.

LINK

Missouri has the most to lose if Bevo TV takes off like the 'whorns want it to. They're a growing team that needs Texas recruits, and Pinkel can't compete against UT, A&M, or OU once they all have networks.

Missouri is years (decades) away from the necessary pedigree to start a competing network. And even if Missouri could get something off the ground, , they are competing for time against Kansas, Nebraska, Illinois, and K-State, in order of likelihood, in MO itself. At least OU and A&M could get a competing network off the ground...granted, for a lot less income than Bevo TV, but at least they could get something going and have a reasonable chance at success.

If anything, this may be a reason why the Big 10 passed over Missouri before, and (personally) why the reports of Missouri chasing SEC tail may not be hyperbole.

New developments regarding A&M, Missouri, OU, OSU leaving for the SEC:

Article on Scout.com

Of note:

But given information we’re hearing from several Big 12 institutions that may be too late to save the Big 12.

According to inside sources, Texas A&M administrators believe at this time that ESPN is unlikely to compromise on the high school games and they are moving forward with an aggressive approach to programming meaning they are in no mood to compromise.

The smoke with Missouri is building according to SEC sources. After getting snubbed by the Big 10 last year, Missouri is posturing for an offer to the SEC and working the phones hard. It might just pay off for Missouri.

Apparently, Oklahoma was told by several SEC sources that a future deal including Oklahoma State was highly unlikely...that they would need to split if they wanted to be seriously considered for inclusion. That explains recent rumors that OU has been inquiring about the PAC-12’s interest level in expanding the conference with both Oklahoma schools. If that doesn’t pan out, then the Sooners may come back to the SEC and consider working the politics of splitting with OSU. But, Missouri is ready to go now and if the chips start falling pretty soon, it looks like Missouri could be in line to get that western division SEC spot along with the Aggies.

This is an extremely fluid situation and nothing will surprise me in the short term. But if Byrne and Texas A&M walk away from the conference AD's meeting unsatisfied and it appears that ESPN and Texas are going to move forward with disputed programming regardless of the Big 12's concern, then this could go down quickly...and if so, it appears that Missouri could be the big winner in all of this chess play.

The takeaways:

-Okie Lite is screwed if OU can't finesse the Pac-12 to take both of them, as OU would cut ties with OSU in a heartbeat if it meant saving it's own (significantly more valuable) skin by going to the SEC.

-Missouri wants out, badly. If not to the SEC, though, I could see them leaching on to Kansas/KSU and a Big East deal.

-The bigger takeaway for Missouri is that they seem to act as if they know they won't get a Big 10 invite. Don't know why, but perhaps they know if the Big 10 comes calling in their neck of the woods, Kansas would be taken over them too, and their ego can't handle much more rejection.

-Kansas, now with KSU, is talking with the Big East. Don't be shocked to hear that Kansas' discussions with the Big East started the day after the MO Governor made overtures to the Big 10--despite their current AD issues, they know they'll have to work 5x harder to land a spot in a BCS conference, and without the Big 10 wooing them, the Big East also seems to be the easiest row to hoe.

-The SEC wants either OU/Missouri/A&M, or just Missouri/A&M. This is because the SEC wants Clemson back in the fold...but not at the expense of opening the doors to Texas recruiting and the Houston TV market.

Opinions and rumors from the San Jose (Pac-12) side of things:

Link

Of Note:

Reaction III: If the Big 12 dissolves — I should say, when the Big 12 dissolves — and Oklahoma and Texas A&M head to the SEC, then the Pac-12 will be woefully short of quality options. Texas Tech and Oklahoma State are worth far less to the conference without Texas and Oklahoma … if they are worth anything at all. The beauty of the Pac-16 arrangement was the natural division split with the Arizona schools joining Colorado, UT, A&M, Tech, and the Oklahoma schools in the east. It made perfect sense from the standpoint of natural rivalries and travel costs for Olympic sports.

Reaction IV: Without Texas, A&M and Oklahoma, what combination of schools could meet the league’s academic threshold and form a seven- or eight-team eastern division that encompasses enough TV households to justify the additional revenue splits?...Frankly, I’m not sure there are any good options for the Pac-12 with Texas, Oklahoma and A&M all off the table.

Reaction VI: It seems inevitable that Texas will go Independent in football, resulting in the collapse of the Big 12. But that point might come later rather than sooner. And the reason is an oft-overlooked component to the Independent issue: The Longhorns would need a home for their powerhouse Olympic and women’s sports.

Takeaway: If the Pac-12 wants quality expansion targets, they need to act now before the SEC snatches them up.

I don't know about yall but i'm sitting back hoping the Big 12 splits. Just so I can watch Texas go independant and not get the success that they think it would be. I have a feeling if they do go independant they will try and have every home possibly some away games on their WrongWhorn Network. I know ABC/ESPN and them will pick up some national broadcast events, but not every game. So I don't see this working out the way Texas wants it to for the success they are wanting.

I don't know about yall but i'm sitting back hoping the Big 12 splits. Just so I can watch Texas go independant and not get the success that they think it would be. I have a feeling if they do go independant they will try and have every home possibly some away games on their WrongWhorn Network. I know ABC/ESPN and them will pick up some national broadcast events, but not every game. So I don't see this working out the way Texas wants it to for the success they are wanting.

Here are some of reasons why going Independent for Texas won't work:

1. who are they going to schedule in october and november when all the conferences are playing each other for a spot in the conference championship game? If you look at BYU and Notre Dame schedule they are basically playing military schools and WAC teams during that time. I have a hard time believing that a good school would want to play Texas late in the year.

2. Why play Texas when you can essentially knock them out? Sure they may have posted a perfect record but just filled with patsies they will highly unlikely of ever reaching the National Championship game again.

3. I don't think Texas would sacrifice going independent if it meant not playing in good bowls anymore. Texas isn't a team that would be happy to go to a lesser bowl that other teams are happy to play in.

4. Recruiting would suffer. Sure they may have BevoTv but good recruits are going to want to play in big games. Texas wouldn't be able to offer that.

Texas forum posters and writers simply haven't thought it through about going independent.

1. who are they going to schedule in october and november when all the conferences are playing each other for a spot in the conference championship game? If you look at BYU and Notre Dame schedule they are basically playing military schools and WAC teams during that time. I have a hard time believing that a good school would want to play Texas late in the year.

2. Why play Texas when you can essentially knock them out? Sure they may have posted a perfect record but just filled with patsies they will highly unlikely of ever reaching the National Championship game again.

3. I don't think Texas would sacrifice going independent if it meant not playing in good bowls anymore. Texas isn't a team that would be happy to go to a lesser bowl that other teams are happy to play in.

4. Recruiting would suffer. Sure they may have BevoTv but good recruits are going to want to play in big games. Texas wouldn't be able to offer that.

Texas forum posters and writers simply haven't thought it through about going independent.

Oh I understand that the scenario I was looking at other than those reasons is WrongWhorn network being their downfall. Lets say they get what could be a good schedule. With say TCU, Florida State and maybe a Missouri like team at the end. Highly unlikely I know but lets say something like that happens. Those later games will be TBA at the beggining say TCU is undefeated but not pulling in the weight cause there are other teams in BCS conferences that are getting the talk for a national championship and having marque games that week. TCU and Texas would either be early in the morning or on Texas only Network. Florida State and Missou have a couple losses and doesn't bring in the national attention.

With that type of scenario and I say again I know highly unlikely but if it did happen I don't see those teams aggreing to allow the Texas Network into their stadiums or if at Texas agreeing to it only being on the Texas Network. I see if they go independant the bigger schools will fight the network or not agree to play if it is not nationaly or regionally broadcasted on ABC or ESPN.

I'll be your huckleberry.

1. It won't matter, just as it doesn't matter for Notre Dame now--just so long as they get nine wins and have a decent ranking, Notre Dame can nab a BCS bowl. It's not right, but Texas will assuredly be afforded the same luxury when they go independent. So Texas can play service academies, Notre Dame, and BYU (they'll all stick together) to cover five of the last eight weeks, just so long as they schedule three or so teams with a pulse. A&M will likely play them, possibly OU, and you've got a bunch of in-state teams (TCU, Houston, SMU) that either are or could be Top 25 that wouldn't mind a crack at Texas. Plus, you're forgetting Texas has money to spare and throw at these teams.

2. See #1 and Notre Dame's deal. It will be extended for Texas, just as it will be extended to BYU if they broach the Top 25 with regularity.

3. Any bowl is better than what they had this December. Plus, if they make a BCS bowl, that's $20+ million that they only have to split one way instead of 12 or 10--theirs. That makes up for four or five Culligan Toilet Bowls.

4. There's no reason for that. Mack Brown trips on recruits going to get his paper from the sidewalk each morning, plus many of these recruits could get early exposure if the NCAA rules in their favor re: TV deal. The only way Texas' recruiting would suffer is if the SEC blows the doors open by bringing A&M into the fold (Houston-area schools, Houston media market, partial San Antonio exposure).

---

Now, if you were to have said that Texas would have problems placing their Olympic sports, there's a genuine concern that could prevent independence.

Frankly, I could see Texas placing their Olympic sports in the Mountain West in exchange for helping the MWC lobby for a BCS bid, especially if Jerry succeeds in getting the Cotton Bowl into the BCS rotation. Granted, it wouldn't be sexy, but it would be a home...and, save for basketball and baseball, the pointy uterus fans wouldn't really care.

I don't know that Texas will get the Notre Dame deal. Notre Dame has national appeal and power that Texas really doesn't have. Texas can bully the Big 12, but I don't think they can bully the NCAA like ND somehow did. I wonder if the BCS regrets the Notre Dame deal and wouldn't want to repeat it again, possibly giving up 2 spots to indies.

I guess I don’t understand how everyone thinks this is a sure fire fail. #1 the TV contract is owned by ESPN who is owned by ABC. They are making a huge investment and will get there moneys worth. So an independent TX will have games on those stations, and the rest on its own network, not unlike what the BTN does now. As for the 4 statements, here are 4 direct counterpoints...

#1. TX is a big player and a national team. They will get games. Who will they schedule in OCT-NOV you ask... Well here is who ND has had on its OCT through NOV slate...

2005- PURDUE, USC, BYU, TENN, NAVY, SYRACUSE & STANFORD

2006-STANFORD, UCLA, NAVY, UNC, AIRFORCE, ARMY & USC

2007-UCLA, BC, USC, NAVY, AIRFORCE, DUKE & STANFORD

2008-STANFORD, UNC, WASHINGTON, PITT, BC, NAVY,SYRACUSE & USC

2009-WASHINGTON, USC, BC, WASH ST., NAVY, PITT, UCONN & STANFORD

2010-BC, PITT, WESTERN MICH, NAVY, TULSA, UTAH, ARMY, USC

2011-PURDUE, AIRFORCE, USC, NAVY, WAKE, MARYLAND, BC, STANFORD

2012-MIAMI, STANFORD, BYU, OKLAHOMA, PITT, BC, WAKE, USC

Texas will have a schedule very much like this. Touching all coasts and all conferences. They will probably play some service academies. I am sure they will also get with the other 2 independents in BYU and ND. They will most certainly keep OU and most likely ATM on the schedule once ATM is over being butt hurt.

#2 Why? $$$$$$ that’s why. Why does anybody play anybody now? Why doesn’t every just schedule 3 games against the crappiest teams they can find. Why does NEB play all crappy Sunbelt teams but play one BCS game?? Why not just load all your non cons with the cupcakes instead of 3 of 4? Again they will get games. They are only filling one schedule and have over 65+ BCS/respectable teams to get a single game with. Also, I would not for a second believe that TX would not get some sort of sweetheart "ND RULE" with the BCS. Who, incase you forgot, has their TV rights owned by....ESPN.

#3. This makes no sense at all. So now because TX is not in a conference they go to the car care bowl? Would Nebraska be doomed for the papa johns bowl if they were independent? Because TX has more fans and way more money than NEB does....

Plus, as was covered in #2 they will not be excluded from the BCS, they will have solid schedules and they still have the name and money to throw their weight around.

#4. Again, this is just wrong. They are the flag ship school in the second most populated, but most talent rich football state there is. They are a national brand that will have every game on TV. Whether it is national, regional or on their station. They are a very popular team that can now sell the same rivalry games they have always had, but now instead of Baylor, ISU, KU and KSU you get to play ARKY, UCLA, ND, and MIAMI. There recruiting will not be hurt at all

IMHO too many husker fans have let jealousy/hatred/whatever cloud your vision as to how this can and most likely will work. This was the richest athletic program in the country before anything changed and what changed what they got a deal that pays them as much/more than any conference could, they get 100% of their bowl revenues instead of a pot that is divided and they struck a deal with a major player in sports and one that has the backing of a national station. The thing that will kill the LHN now is nobody wants to pay $$$ for 1 game, But multiple games, and name games will make it viable, just like the big10 network. It will flourish in TX and TX alone is nearly 1/2 the size of the entire big10 footprint. And like it or not it will be on in a lot of other place if they go indy and get it up and running. It may be up there with Versus and Fox Sports (insert city or direction) but it will be there. With ESPN footing that huge bill and the backing of ABC/Disney it’s hard to imagine that it would fail if a move to independent is made.

Hell I don’t even care for TX or ESPN, but it’s easy to see how it would work

I don't know that Texas will get the Notre Dame deal. Notre Dame has national appeal and power that Texas really doesn't have. Texas can bully the Big 12, but I don't think they can bully the NCAA like ND somehow did. I wonder if the BCS regrets the Notre Dame deal and wouldn't want to repeat it again, possibly giving up 2 spots to indies.

VA Husker Fan--Texas is the most valuable college football property in the nation per Forbes.com. Notre Dame is right behind them at #2. If #2 gets it, #1 will too.

The BCS is all about the benjamins, baby.

VA Husker Fan--Texas is the most valuable college football property in the nation per Forbes.com. Notre Dame is right behind them at #2. If #2 gets it, #1 will too.

The BCS is all about the benjamins, baby.

also to add on to matthew's point, the BSC is not the NCAA. its seperate and like matthew said, its all about money, lots and lots of money