Texas A&M is rattling the SEC sabre again because of ESPN 8: The Bevo

I think the Big 12's days are numbered. I think either A&M or Mizzou will make the first move and bolt to the SEC and put an end to the conference.

It will only take one from the Big XII to do so this time around, assuming that the Big 10, ACC, and Pac-12 expand to 14 alongside the SEC. And per the Aggies Insider article, it could be Missouri that kicks this off, and not A&M--Missouri is already unhappy before Bevo TV showed up.

Yeah that's what I meant that either one or the other will leave and kick it off. The conference can't survive anyone else leaving since everyone already has plans made on where they will go once that happens.

Still don't understand the fuss of Texas playing high school games. I still say they already get the top picks in Texas anyway. You can only take so many kids.

You know, this is a good point. Sometimes I wonder if some of the anti-Bevo TV angst is manufactured by A&M, OU, et al to cover their trail as they try to find an exit from what they know to now be a dead conference walking.

Kind of like how Texas needed to use their media lackeys to make Nebraska look like the villain when July 1 rolled around.

Still don't understand the fuss of Texas playing high school games. I still say they already get the top picks in Texas anyway. You can only take so many kids.

No, they get many of them, but still lose some top guys to A&M, Oklahoma, etc, and they haven't always gotten as many as they do these days. Simms and Peterson to OU are two great examples of the past and pretty recent. You can't just concede Texas high schools to Texas. I'm sure the other schools don't.

Maybe there's a case for saying that putting HS games on their network offers no real recruiting advantage. Maybe.

Not every top athlete in Texas is automatic to Texas. Even if it is, this would slam the recruiting door even harder on other schools. "Well, son, sorry you orally committed to _____ U. Too bad your high school now will not be televised across the whole country from the Rio Grande to the Red River. Now, if you go and change your mind . . . " Remember some of these kids have huge egos that could seriously be stroked.

You know, this is a good point. Sometimes I wonder if some of the anti-Bevo TV angst is manufactured by A&M, OU, et al to cover their trail as they try to find an exit from what they know to now be a dead conference walking.

Kind of like how Texas needed to use their media lackeys to make Nebraska look like the villain when July 1 rolled around.

I explained before how Texas tries to portray the image that they get the pick of the litter. Its a marketing strategy, they don't offer kids that aren't ready to commit and they use high pressure 'better get in quick before its too late and your spot is gone' to try and force it early, or move on to other options. They don't get all of them.

And they (A&M and OU) are wondering if the HS games was a smokescreen so the backlash wouldn't be on the conference games. It works both ways. Frankly though I'd be surprised if Texas didn't realize things like that are going to piss off the serfdom. They announced it just days after the whole week of "kumbayah Nebraska is finally gone, we are united." It looks more like they are trying to push just hard enough for the league to break so they can shed the other Texas schools to me. This one turned into an NCAA wide backlash with meetings scheduled and Delany weighing in against it. So they backed down a bit, but I'd be surprised if they don't find some new angle to try and push someone out the door.

The blogger, Frank the Tank, weighed in with his thoughts on A&M to the SEC.

In short, he doesn't think it's going to happen. Of note:

1. The SEC can’t just rip up its TV contracts simply because it expands – A decent number of columnists/bloggers have taken SEC Commissioner Mike Slive’s comment that there are periodic “look-ins” for its contracts with CBS and ESPN and came to conclusion that the conference could set fire to those deals in the event of expansion. While the terms of the SEC TV deal are not public (and that’s the case for any conference), this is a dangerous assumption that I would wager is 99.99% incorrect. (The .01% allows for the slight chance that Slive has compromising pictures of various CBS and ESPN executives with Casey Anthony.) ESPN certainly doesn’t believe that the SEC’s “look-ins” can reopen the TV deal...

2. ESPN isn’t going to willingly hand the SEC more money for expansion – Let’s take a quick look at where ESPN stands right now. First, ESPN worked extremely hard to keep the Big 12 together last year in order to block the formation of superconferences by going so far as to give that league the same amount of money even though it had just lost its most populous non-Texas state (Colorado), a marquee national name (Nebraska) and a conference championship game. Second, ESPN has just invested a ton of capital in the Longhorn Network, which essentially depends upon the Big 12 surviving as none of the other BCS conferences besides maybe the Big East would let that monstrosity live.

Call me crazy, but when considering those two points, it seems quite far-fetched that ESPN would actually provide an incentive to the SEC to expand with Texas A&M (and/or Oklahoma and/or Missouri and/or whoever else you want to throw in) that would directly kill off the Big 12 that ESPN has every incentive to save.

3. Objectors to high school games on the Longhorn Network are arguing semantics (and that’s ultimately a losing argument) – There’s a massive public flagship university located in one of the top football recruiting states in the nation that has entered into a multi-year multi-million dollar third tier rights deal with a regional sports network that is wholly-owned by a large multimedia conglomerate. There are some football and basketball games along with coaches’ shows and other promotions showing the university. The RSN also telecasts high school football games that potentially showcase that university’s recruits. Such public flagship university does not own any part of such RSN.

I’ve just described the contract that the University of Florida has with Sun Sports.

4. People that keep ignoring Texas politicians will get fooled again – Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, I’m in ******* denial.

Kristi Dosh, on the other hand, is spitting out her ideas for 16-team conferences...

To make such a list, you have to first decide what will prompt the much speculate move to four 16-team super conferences. I think it will happen because Texas decides to become an independent or because another team, like Texas A&M, leaves the Big 12. Either way, the Big 12 will crumble and other conferences will feast on what’s left.

It’s my belief that the end of the Big 12 signals the end of the Big East. The SEC, Big Ten and Pac-12 will gobble up the best teams from the Big 12 quickly. The ACC will struggle to keep up. Most of the conferences will have to look outside the Big 12 to get to 16 teams, so they’ll pick apart the next weakest conference, the Big East. However, I don’t believe the SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12 or ACC will raid one another.

No, they get many of them, but still lose some top guys to A&M, Oklahoma, etc, and they haven't always gotten as many as they do these days. Simms and Peterson to OU are two great examples of the past and pretty recent. You can't just concede Texas high schools to Texas. I'm sure the other schools don't.

Maybe there's a case for saying that putting HS games on their network offers no real recruiting advantage. Maybe.

Oh really....

Texas Ranks #5 in Recruiting Over the Last 10 Years

They've won the Big 12 recruiting crown 6 of the 10 years.

keep in mind some years Texas doesn't need to recruit another 5 star Tailback (etc...) so the fact that they get what they want more often then not just leads me to believe they don't stand to gain from televising high school games. Sure they lose recruits to other schools and still will. I just don't see how a kid being on a regional network is going to suddenly tilt the tables anymore than they already are.

I explained before how Texas tries to portray the image that they get the pick of the litter. Its a marketing strategy, they don't offer kids that aren't ready to commit and they use high pressure 'better get in quick before its too late and your spot is gone' to try and force it early, or move on to other options. They don't get all of them.

And they (A&M and OU) are wondering if the HS games was a smokescreen so the backlash wouldn't be on the conference games. It works both ways. Frankly though I'd be surprised if Texas didn't realize things like that are going to piss off the serfdom. They announced it just days after the whole week of "kumbayah Nebraska is finally gone, we are united." It looks more like they are trying to push just hard enough for the league to break so they can shed the other Texas schools to me. This one turned into an NCAA wide backlash with meetings scheduled and Delany weighing in against it. So they backed down a bit, but I'd be surprised if they don't find some new angle to try and push someone out the door.

The more I think about this, the more I think the high school game angle is a strawman or a concession created to ultimately get conference games on Texas' network.

So for anyone who hasn't heard yet, there are plumes of smoke rising from Texas about A&M escaping to the SEC. The rumors have varied in intensity, but some of them would have us believe that the SEC athletic directors have already voted unanimously, the A&M Board of Regents has approved the move, and an official letter of invitation is being drafted. Whether or not its true seems irrelevant at this point. Texas for all intents and purposes has succeeded in destroying the Big XII. Even if nothing comes out in the next week or two about A&M making a move, it's clear enough that our rickety former conference is waiting for any one program––including Texas going independent, which their shiny new TV contracts make a strong case was their intention from the beginning––to make a move and finish it.

My hope is that Texas does go independent and their Longhorn Network fails, they find no one willing to schedule them during the meat of the season, and somehow we avoid another Notre Dame sweetheart BCS deal. Unfortunately I'm not an optimist. I'd guess nothing short of superconferences with a playoff would humble Bevo.

Anyway, right now it very much looks like the Big Texas conference could play one season before imploding. I'm just glad we have a comfortable seat to watch it happen.

I really and truly believe Texas is doing itself a giant disservice with its unabashed arrogance. Texas has a lot of built in advantages, but they also act in such an imperious manner that there can be no confusion as to their intentions: take as much as they can, as fast as they can, and disregard any impact their actions have on any other institution as irrelevant.

People like Larry Scott have long memories. And that is a small fraternity, that of conference commissioners. (With clout.) Super conferences are the future. It is going to happen. And I think Texas will be stunned, STUNNED, at the reception they receive when the big CFB re-organization happens and divides things quite clearly into the haves and have-nots.

The reality is, Texas is a gigantic pain in the ass to deal with, and they wear their arrogance like it's a holy medal. They have also stepped on some toes, most notably Scott. People like Jim Delaney, Mike Slive, they saw the way Texas operated during the Pac-16 discussions. Universities like Florida, Ohio State, FSU, USC, Nebraska, Michigan, LSU, Oklahoma...these are all big time universities with huge prestige levels, and none of them are even close to being as insufferably conceited and crookedly self-serving as Texas. When it comes time to decide who you want to work with, who you want to live with...who wants or needs Texas when their actions have proven incontrovertibly that they will screw over anyone and everyone to get whatever they want?

I envision a future where Texas faces consequences they did not foresee.

• Fire 1