Texas A&M is rattling the SEC sabre again because of ESPN 8: The Bevo

I don't see how having high school games on their network will benefit Texas. They already get their pick of the litter...

they do get their pick of the litter in TX. maybe they get the top 7 of 8 recruits out of texas every year....

now suppose they have a recruit in NJ? part of the recruiting process is to tell the kid they will start playing his games on the long horn network?. the kid would think that pretty cool...now texas starts getting 7 of the 8 best recruits in the country, not just texas. at least thats how its being viewed in the big 12 recently. they can start using the network to televise big recruits games from all over the country, not just Texas. if OU and aTm dont like it, it cant be good.

What's really amusing in all this, to me anyways, is the fact that we Nebraskan's (and mostly Dr. Tom) went from the arrogant stuck-in-the-mud crotchety a-holes that nearly destroyed the conference of brotherly love and unity to gosh-darn genius profits that saw the need to get the hell out of dodge in the matter of like 14 days in 9 other teams eyes.

Edit: and the administrators down in Austin went from benevolent saviors to guys that basically need a hollowed out volcano lair and a lazy eye to plan their next move...

One-Billion-Dollars.jpg

I don't see how having high school games on their network will benefit Texas. They already get their pick of the litter...

Rex Burkhead says, "I ain't wearin' burnt orange, baby!"

But serially, though - screw Texas and the horse they rode in on.

Wait, that's not what I meant.

What I meant was... Texas is supposedly already getting the pick of the litter. But by branding Texas High School football with the Longhorn Network, they make it ever more likely that the best kids in Texas will grow up wanting to stay in Texas.

This is not necessarily a play for this year, or the next five years. It's a play for the next two dozen years. Long term, this is a home run for the Whorns. That's why A&M and the Sooners are realizing it's no good being Texas' bitch. Finally.

• Fire 1

Rex Burkhead says, "I ain't wearin' burnt orange, baby!"

But serially, though - screw Texas and the horse they rode in on.

Wait, that's not what I meant.

What I meant was... Texas is supposedly already getting the pick of the litter. But by branding Texas High School football with the Longhorn Network, they make it ever more likely that the best kids in Texas will grow up wanting to stay in Texas.

This is not necessarily a play for this year, or the next five years. It's a play for the next two dozen years. Long term, this is a home run for the Whorns. That's why A&M and the Sooners are realizing it's no good being Texas' bitch. Finally.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Give the man a cigar.

And in the case of OU, A&M, et al, better to take the short-term hit now and get stability and a better paycheck for the future than to risk getting the rug yanked out from under you.

Plus, if Mizzou is talking with the SEC, I wonder how bad the Big 10 thing hit them. That, or the Big 10 simply told them you're not on the short list unless we go to 16...especially if Kansas is available.

Has the SEC shown any recent interest in expansion? If not, it doesn't really matter what A&M Fan wants.

Besides giving them an invite a year ago or not ruling it out at their media days this week you mean?

Or not censoring the analyst from the network which airs your games from saying four Big XII schools are talking with the SEC?

Has the SEC shown any recent interest in expansion? If not, it doesn't really matter what A&M Fan wants.

Besides giving them an invite a year ago or not ruling it out at their media days this week you mean?

Or not censoring the analyst from the network which airs your games from saying four Big XII schools are talking with the SEC?

So, "kinda-sorta, but not really"?

So, "kinda-sorta, but not really"?

Conferences just don't make public invites, its all figured out before it ever gets to that point. If they are talking at all there is mutual interest there.

Everyone loves Dan Beebe. Really. Just ask this writer from GoPowerCat.com:

Beebe addresses Big 12 media

DALLAS -- After an afternoon consumed by muffled bickering about the forthcoming Longhorn Network and what it might mean for the future, Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe, dressed in suit and tie, served up a media day nightcap in the form of a scripted interview with a league-appointed moderator.

<tons snipped - go read it>

The celebratory address was preceded by free booze for all in attendance and included a music-accompanied introduction of every Big 12 head coach (expect Texas Tech's Tommy Tuberville, who skipped the event for a university golf outing). Following the overblown charade, there were gifts ... expensive ones.

Ogio Fugitive backpacks with the league's logo embroidered on the front, which carry a presale, pre-customization price of $69.00 on Amazon.com, were stuffed with t-shirts, polos and hats before being distributed to those who stuck around long enough to take in the show and subsequently left the theater in stitches. Problem is, this movie wasn't intended to be a comedy. Instead, Beebe's performance was meant to be the final scene from Rocky.

"I have to admit that I was always jealous of some conferences who had the complete round-robin in football and double round-robin in basketball," Beebe said, somehow maintaining a straight face under the pressure of his enormous lie.

From there, the hits kept coming. He met pre-approved questions with packaged answers about "settling championships on the field" and "promoting a unique brand," all the while ignoring the snickers coming from the pack of reporters and athletic department officials standing in the gallery.

Somehow, though, the half-truths and outright fibs weren't the most troubling part. Instead, that title belonged to the fact the Beebe didn't seem to notice the scheme's total transparency. His lack of embarrassment was excusable, however.

After all, there were plenty of people feeling the emotion for him long after he wrapped up.

That's some pretty heavy sarcasm from a Kansas State writer. Thing is, KSU is one of a few schools who I think are most poorly placed if the Big XII goes under. Hopefully they have a fallback option.

Also, about the swag given to the press - nice bribe attempt, Big XII. Won't help, but it's an indication of what the Big XII is all about, which is buying what you want.

OU and tA&M should be able to scrap something together with SEC. Okie Lite maybe goes to SEC also. Mizzou get included if everyone just shrugs and says, "eh, why not?"

The SEC may ultimately be Mizzou's only play. I don't think the Big 10 will bite on Missouri a second time, especially if Kansas is available. Plus, I'm sure the Big 10 will tap Dr. Tom and Harvey for input on what remnants of the Big XII to add when the whole thing goes down the crapper.

And if you were in Dr. Tom's or Harvey's shoes, which program would you recommend to Delaney? :)