Texas A&M is rattling the SEC sabre again because of ESPN 8: The Bevo

I don't know that Texas will get the Notre Dame deal. Notre Dame has national appeal and power that Texas really doesn't have. Texas can bully the Big 12, but I don't think they can bully the NCAA like ND somehow did. I wonder if the BCS regrets the Notre Dame deal and wouldn't want to repeat it again, possibly giving up 2 spots to indies.

VA Husker Fan--Texas is the most valuable college football property in the nation per Forbes.com. Notre Dame is right behind them at #2. If #2 gets it, #1 will too.

The BCS is all about the benjamins, baby.

also to add on to matthew's point, the BSC is not the NCAA. its seperate and like matthew said, its all about money, lots and lots of money

First off Fro good point earlier about how it would work for Texas. I'll admit I didn't even think of any of those reasons.

As for Texas getting the same sweet deal that Notre Dame has, I agree I'm sure Texas will get it to. The only thing I can think would stop it, is if the NCAA thinks if Texas and Notre Dame can why can't anyone else. If other Universities do it then why have conferences why not everyone just be independant.

I really don't like the thought of the SEC all the way up into Missouri. I would much rather the Big 10 add them. Keep the SEC isolated down there in the south/southeast. The big reason I can't see Missouri in the SEC - it SNOWS there. When have you ever seen an SEC team playing in the snow. What are they going to do - make Missouri play all of its home games in the first 7 weeks of the season so they can continue to deny that snow exists down there?

I don't know that Texas will get the Notre Dame deal. Notre Dame has national appeal and power that Texas really doesn't have. Texas can bully the Big 12, but I don't think they can bully the NCAA like ND somehow did. I wonder if the BCS regrets the Notre Dame deal and wouldn't want to repeat it again, possibly giving up 2 spots to indies.

VA Husker Fan--Texas is the most valuable college football property in the nation per Forbes.com. Notre Dame is right behind them at #2. If #2 gets it, #1 will too.

also to add on to matthew's point, the BSC is not the NCAA. its seperate and like matthew said, its all about money, lots and lots of money

First off Fro good point earlier about how it would work for Texas. I'll admit I didn't even think of any of those reasons.

As for Texas getting the same sweet deal that Notre Dame has, I agree I'm sure Texas will get it to. The only thing I can think would stop it, is if the NCAA thinks if Texas and Notre Dame can why can't anyone else. If other Universities do it then why have conferences why not everyone just be independant.

I think because the majority of teams would fail if they went down that road. They would not the the operating funds and the money to pay for games. Even if you could get a home and home so that you dont need to pay a visiting team, there is still the travel. That regional aspect is what helps develop conferences in the first place. That and you have others helping to pay, and helping to make your 'brand' more valueable. If you think about it, how many schools really have what it takes to be an independent? Most need help. Is Missouri more valuable my themselves or packaged with KU, OU, KSU and so on. LSU is worth more packaged with Florida, Alabama and so on. THey share, but reap more because of it. There are very few that make enough money or have a large enough following to be on there own. Plus the number would be limited to the number of major networks who want to back a single team.

I think its a good question, but ultimatly it again is money issue.

I really don't like the thought of the SEC all the way up into Missouri. I would much rather the Big 10 add them. Keep the SEC isolated down there in the south/southeast. The big reason I can't see Missouri in the SEC - it SNOWS there. When have you ever seen an SEC team playing in the snow. What are they going to do - make Missouri play all of its home games in the first 7 weeks of the season so they can continue to deny that snow exists down there?

its weird. For me I dont really have a favorite, SEC or BIG10 should things collapse. I do know that MU has about equal in common with both though. MU has a very southern style campus and greek life. Alot of people think that MU's campus living and setup is more southern traditional than Northern. However, MU also fancies themselves with the acadimics of the big10. For all the things the SEC is, that is not one of them. I think most would be happy either way. Also long as its a major conference i think most would be okay. It would sure be different thats for sure, i am already a little freaked with this years schedule. I could care less about Baylor and TT. Its freakin weird not seeing a NU or CU on there.

its weird. For me I dont really have a favorite, SEC or BIG10 should things collapse. I do know that MU has about equal in common with both though. MU has a very southern style campus and greek life. Alot of people think that MU's campus living and setup is more southern traditional than Northern. However, MU also fancies themselves with the acadimics of the big10. For all the things the SEC is, that is not one of them. I think most would be happy either way. Also long as its a major conference i think most would be okay. It would sure be different thats for sure, i am already a little freaked with this years schedule. I could care less about Baylor and TT. Its freakin weird not seeing a NU or CU on there.

I personally would like to see Mizzou come to the Big 10. Because those battles we had as of lately were good hard fought fun games to watch. Was starting to get the intensity and feel of a rivalry with a lot of importance, a lot like how the Oklahoma and Nebraska games use to be. Plus it's a trophy game which the Big 10 loves lol.

Yup. The only sticky wicket for Texas independence discussions seems to be homes for their Olympic sports. As soon as they find a home that they can live with, Texas is gone.

TO could see the writing on the wall. Fortunately, we not only escaped the Titanic Conference, we found a better ship all around than the Titanic ever was or could hope to be. Well done Dr. Tom.

To carry that analogy forward, we jumped from the Titanic to the iceberg. Solid, steady, and way deeper than it appears on the surface.

I think the Big 12's days are numbered. I think either A&M or Mizzou will make the first move and bolt to the SEC and put an end to the conference.

It will only take one from the Big XII to do so this time around, assuming that the Big 10, ACC, and Pac-12 expand to 14 alongside the SEC. And per the Aggies Insider article, it could be Missouri that kicks this off, and not A&M--Missouri is already unhappy before Bevo TV showed up.

Here are some of reasons why going Independent for Texas won't work:

1. who are they going to schedule in october and november when all the conferences are playing each other for a spot in the conference championship game? If you look at BYU and Notre Dame schedule they are basically playing military schools and WAC teams during that time. I have a hard time believing that a good school would want to play Texas late in the year.

2. Why play Texas when you can essentially knock them out? Sure they may have posted a perfect record but just filled with patsies they will highly unlikely of ever reaching the National Championship game again.

3. I don't think Texas would sacrifice going independent if it meant not playing in good bowls anymore. Texas isn't a team that would be happy to go to a lesser bowl that other teams are happy to play in.

4. Recruiting would suffer. Sure they may have BevoTv but good recruits are going to want to play in big games. Texas wouldn't be able to offer that.

Texas forum posters and writers simply haven't thought it through about going independent.

I'll be your huckleberry.

1. It won't matter, just as it doesn't matter for Notre Dame now--just so long as they get nine wins and have a decent ranking, Notre Dame can nab a BCS bowl. It's not right, but Texas will assuredly be afforded the same luxury when they go independent. So Texas can play service academies, Notre Dame, and BYU (they'll all stick together) to cover five of the last eight weeks, just so long as they schedule three or so teams with a pulse. A&M will likely play them, possibly OU, and you've got a bunch of in-state teams (TCU, Houston, SMU) that either are or could be Top 25 that wouldn't mind a crack at Texas. Plus, you're forgetting Texas has money to spare and throw at these teams.

You think that everyone who goes independent gets Notre Dame's deal don't you? They don't and it's not an automatic. Notre Dame has a long history of being independent in football. Texas doesn't. Notre Dame is a private school, Texas is a public and i will bet you that also plays in as a factor.

2. See #1 and Notre Dame's deal. It will be extended for Texas, just as it will be extended to BYU if they broach the Top 25 with regularity.

So they could also extend it for Ohio St. LSU, USC, OU, Alabama, and Michigan. I would bet you they could also stand alone as a product without needing a conference. Now instead of making exceptions for 1 or 2 teams they are doing for a lot more.

3. Any bowl is better than what they had this December. Plus, if they make a BCS bowl, that's $20+ million that they only have to split one way instead of 12 or 10--theirs. That makes up for four or five Culligan Toilet Bowls.

Believe it or not Texas does believe they should be going to good bowls and if Mack Brown has a another losing season he will be fired. You can bet your bottom dollar on that. Bowls like Las Vegas, Sun, Mineke Car Care, Liberty, etc aren't going to cut it for Texas.

4. There's no reason for that. Mack Brown trips on recruits going to get his paper from the sidewalk each morning, plus many of these recruits could get early exposure if the NCAA rules in their favor re: TV deal. The only way Texas' recruiting would suffer is if the SEC blows the doors open by bringing A&M into the fold (Houston-area schools, Houston media market, partial San Antonio exposure).

I'll bet you since Mack scheduled patsy non conference games he tells recruits there is a great chance they can play in the national championship game. He's right they do have a great shot at it every year because of the schedule. Recruits want exposure and they will go to teams that provide the greatest. So what if A&M goes to SEC? it won't blow the doors open cause of the stranglehold Texas has on the state and it would take 20 years of mediocre of Texas for recruits to jump.

---

Now, if you were to have said that Texas would have problems placing their Olympic sports, there's a genuine concern that could prevent independence.

Frankly, I could see Texas placing their Olympic sports in the Mountain West in exchange for helping the MWC lobby for a BCS bid, especially if Jerry succeeds in getting the Cotton Bowl into the BCS rotation. Granted, it wouldn't be sexy, but it would be a home...and, save for basketball and baseball, the pointy uterus fans wouldn't really care.

For Big Football and Basketball schools they pay the way for these other sports so it's not a factor