Offense or Defense?

Which side of the ball do you like more?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Still, a glitzy big play completion or a huge run up the middle will always be more fun to watch than a 3-yard loss or a pass deflection.

Or you could say "an 86-yard interception return for a touchdown is more fun to watch than a 3-yard run up the middle".

Exactly. I enjoy watching whichever unit is better. Under Bo, the defense has always been more fun for me to watch. Under Osborne/Solich, the offense was more enjoyable most of the time, with a few exceptions.

There's some other era that happened in between Solich and Pelini, but I can't seem to remember it... funny how that works...

Still, a glitzy big play completion or a huge run up the middle will always be more fun to watch than a 3-yard loss or a pass deflection.

Or you could say "an 86-yard interception return for a touchdown is more fun to watch than a 3-yard run up the middle".

Yes, and a 90 yard hook-and-ladder is more fun to watch than an 86-yard pick return.

Which happens more often? A nice 8-yard run where the RB picks his way through traffic, or a huge sack or interception? The equivalent to a twelve yard completion is a pass deflection, or maybe just good coverage that forces the QB to throw the ball away. The former is more exhilirating than the latter, for me. My point was - a sweet long pass completion or a breakthrough first down run, are positive plays on offense. Their equivalent on defense, stuffing the ballcarrier for a loss rather than allow him to gain 4 yards.

Most plays in a game tend to go the offense's way. It's a matter of preference, of course, but it's how the game is nowadays. For me, I enjoy high-scoring barnburners more than games where both teams can't move the ball at all and not a lot of yardage is put up.

Even the best defenses don't always stop offenses, though. I know many people are high on defense now in the Bo Pelini era, but take last year, for example. We put the clamps down on many teams and still had to suffer through watching steady drives, yards grinded out on the ground, and the big play allowed here and there. Offenses in football are not supposed to be stopped. They are supposed to put up 200 yards on the field a game and call it a 'very bad day.'

It's not like I don't enjoy watching defense. The Arizona game, and the Big 12 championship with Texas for example, were just flat our ridiculous performances and an awesome sight to see. Very rare for defenses to put up games of that caliber though, so in general I do watch games for the offense. To each his own :P

when it comes to watching it, its the offense no doubt. especially in the beginning of the game when it matters the most, as the games wears on the defense slowly starts becoming the more fun unit to watch i would say.

when it comes to playing, it is no contest defense is more fun! nothing like busting the qb for a 15 yard loss and a sack!

So far the vote is 9-2 in favor of the Defense, with one vote for "equal."

Would you guys say Nebraska is defined more by its defense or its offense? I think when people think of Nebraska football they automatically think of a ground-pounding run game first, and our identity across the college football landscape is defined more by the offense than the Blackshirts. Is that symptomatic of football in general, or is it because we ran a "unique" offense (the Option) for so long?

Under T.O. I would have to agree with this statement. Everyone knew we were going to run right over and through them. But now, under Pelini, our identity has shifted more to a defensive team. Everyone knows we are going to be very aggressive on D and extremely hard to score on.

Not so sure about that. I live in SEC country, and (with the possible exception of LSU fans who are familiar with Bo), when you mention the Huskers the first thing they talk about is a physical, run-first, grind 'em down offense. I attribute that to the length of time that Nebraska ran the Power I/Option. I think this probably holds for most of the country.

So far the vote is 9-2 in favor of the Defense, with one vote for "equal."

Would you guys say Nebraska is defined more by its defense or its offense? I think when people think of Nebraska football they automatically think of a ground-pounding run game first, and our identity across the college football landscape is defined more by the offense than the Blackshirts. Is that symptomatic of football in general, or is it because we ran a "unique" offense (the Option) for so long?

Under T.O. I would have to agree with this statement. Everyone knew we were going to run right over and through them. But now, under Pelini, our identity has shifted more to a defensive team. Everyone knows we are going to be very aggressive on D and extremely hard to score on.

Not so sure about that. I live in SEC country, and (with the possible exception of LSU fans who are familiar with Bo), when you mention the Huskers the first thing they talk about is a physical, run-first, grind 'em down offense. I attribute that to the length of time that Nebraska ran the Power I/Option. I think this probably holds for most of the country.

That is cuz most of the SEC doesn't know what an offense is or looks like.

Voted offense. It is just more fun to see teams score points. When I watch an old game I pay attention to and remember the tds, not a random sack on 2nd down. While I appreciate a good defensive game with the final score 9-6, I would Much rather watch a game with a lot of scoring. That being said, I think when people think of nu now a days they think of defense b/c of pelini.

I had no idea there are so many fans of the D on this board. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that our offense turned into a pumpkin on the stroke of October last year?