Debriefing: Blackshirts back at the front of Nebraska’s Big Ten invasion

GSG

Debriefing: Blackshirts back at the front of Nebraskas Big Ten invasion

The least you should know about the 2011 Cornhuskers. Part of Big Ten Week.

Blackshirts being Blackshirts. While the Blackshirt title was stripped from the Nebraska defense for awhile, there's no doubt the group has earned it back. A year ago, the Huskers ranked 11th nationally in total defense, ninth in scoring defense and fifth in passing defense. The only defensive category in which Nebraska struggled was rushing defense, where they gave up 153 yards per game. Six of last year's starters are back and Carl Pelini said this could be the best defense he's had during his tenure. The Huskers are three-deep at defensive tackle and two-deep at defensive end and has enough talent at linebacker to keep Big Ten running games quiet. Linebacker Lavonte David, who set the single-season school record last year with 152 tackles.

More about the 2011 season after the jump:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Debriefing-Blackshirts-back-at-the-front-of-Neb?urn=ncaaf-wp4296

Confusion over the schedule prediction:

debriefing_blackshirts_back_at_the_front_of_nebraskas_big_ten_invasion.jpg

If the Wisc game is a toss-up, and the others are wins or toss-up(Lean: Win)shouldn't the best case be 12-0? Or should the Wisc game be listed as toss-up (Lean: Loss)? Still if its a toss-up, best case is a win

I really don't think @Penn State will be a toss-up unless they end up being significantly better than expected. Happy Valley home field advantage is daunting, but we likely get a win there.

completely agree, it seems like in the last few years the team has been more pumped to play during the away games then they have have the home games. washington, k-state, ok state all are good examples of this while texas, and south dakota state are examples of how we kinda laid an egg at home

We had flashes of greatness last year but most of those were demoralizing short scoring explosions (kstate, washington)...we also had games like south dakota state, kansas and iowa state. I kind of expect with the new offense and a tough schedule for our season to be all over the place. A game or two lost that we were favored (Texas, second washington game), a game squeaked out we should have run away with (sdsu, ku), a game we win decisively when it was supposed to be close (mu, ksu), and a game we somehow let get away (A&M, OU).

So just like any other season for most schools. I'm not sold we're National Title contenders yet. Give me a seasoned qb with our veteran defense and a PROVEN offensive scheme/coordinator and i'll buy in so maybe in a couple years. I think ending up outside the league title game would be a rotten season (barring tragic events).

I think we have a shot to win every game we will play, will we is another question. Will we get bit by the injury bug, will we find ourselves losing a game or two we could have or should have one, will we win a game or two that we played bad enough to lose? We will find out as the season moves along but I do not see a game on the schedule where I can say a definite loss in, I see a few where like another poster called it a toss up. and that is the best way for me to look at this season. I am excited and hopeful. We need to stay focused on our NEXT game starting on Sundays because once we start playing your next opponet is your biggest threat to ruin your season.

It is just hard to predict without knowing what kind of O we have. The D will be money, it will keep us in every game, but the O will have to pull some out. Has the revamped staff developed guys better? Will the new schemes really click this season? Can they, especially TM, stay healthy? Can Beck call plays? If the O clicks the sky is the limit.

Confusion over the schedule prediction:

debriefing_blackshirts_back_at_the_front_of_nebraskas_big_ten_invasion.jpg

If the Wisc game is a toss-up, and the others are wins or toss-up(Lean: Win)shouldn't the best case be 12-0? Or should the Wisc game be listed as toss-up (Lean: Loss)? Still if its a toss-up, best case is a win

Glad I wasn't the only one who got a bit of a chuckle out of that....

Executive_Decision_Maker-80419_bs.jpg

was apparently integral in his choices...

I'm not the least bit worried about the defense. I think it all comes down TMart. If he can stay healthy and be true leader we'll run the table!

If he's back to full force like the coaches say he is, I'd say that the season is down to the offensive line, staying consistent and keeping our QB's back off the grass.