*** Official Husker Yards to Glory Thread ***

Johnny Rodgers hard fought 8yd TD run against ND in the 73 Orange Bowl. (Bob Devaney's last game as head coach.) The TD was his first of five he was responsible for that day, including 3 more rushing as well as a 50yd TD reception.

:56 sec mark

Edit: Rodgers 5th score was actually a TD pass not a reception. Looks like the box score has it wrong.

Edited by huzkerbob

I added TDs from 97, 96 & 91 yards provided by Brian Christopherson / Joe Hudson (HuskerMax). I also put in Rudy Johnson's 76-yard run vs. Air Force in 1963. Since we lost that game vs. Air Force, and I just saw reference to another 76-yarder on Twitter, I changed this to Pat Fischer's punt return score from 1960 vs. Texas - an upset victory for the Big Red.

Still looking for TDs from 81 and 70 yards.

Evans got burned for an 81 yarder against Northwestern. Does that count? And Niles Paul had a 70 yard TD catch against Arkansas State that was called back because of holding. Considering how frequently that happens these days I think it should still count.

Don't see who it was - but there was a 70 yard punt return at the end of the 1949 Iowa State Game.

ISC closed its season with a 7-0 loss against Nebraska in Ames. Iowa State dominated the game, outgaining the Huskers 232-85, but Nebraska scored on a punt return in the rain that ended a 5-3-1 season.

If not for a brilliant and exciting 70-yard punt return for a Nebraska touchdown in the final quarter, this contest would likely have ended in a scoreless tie. The victory was the fourth in a row for the Cornhuskers in this series, but only the third of the 1949 season. Nebraska improved to 34-8-1 over the Cyclones all-time

• Fire 1

Good job on the 70-yarder!

Found it in the Yearbook:

"It was a cold, rainy day at Ames at the beginning of the annual Nebraska-Iowa State contest. Punts were numerous, and fumbles were frequent as the first half ended. In the second half, Nebraska waged a tremendous defensive game while playing for the breaks. At last Iowa State was forced to punt, and Harry Meginnis, Former Big Seven sprint champion, fielded the punt at Nebraska's 30-yard line. Hemmed in and apparently trapped, Harry faded back to his own 25, feinted to his right, pivoted, and raced 70 yards to a touchdown, the game's only counter. The Ball then split the cross-bars for a 7 to 0 lead. Minutes later the game ended on another Cornhusker victory."

UNL Yearbook

"punts were numerous, and fumbles were frequent" - are you sure you didn't pull that out of the 2009 yearbook?

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking while reading that. At least the 1949 game turned out well. And it was (apparently) played in horrible weather.

"punts were numerous, and fumbles were frequent" - are you sure you didn't pull that out of the 2009 yearbook?

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking while reading that. At least the 1949 game turned out well. And it was (apparently) played in horrible weather.

That made me think of the Missouri game a couple of years ago. I think it was our last game in the B12 against them. It had rained and rained and rained but our guys hung tough and beat a team that was pretty good that year.

That made me think of the Missouri game a couple of years ago. I think it was our last game in the B12 against them. It had rained and rained and rained but our guys hung tough and beat a team that was pretty good that year.

Hell of a game. Suh wreaking havoc on Gabbert. Give Gabbert credit - he played the second half on a banged-up ankle. That was also Dejon Gomes' coming out party. Dude had a clutch INT that helped turn momentum. Niles had two amazing catches on two very nice passes by Zac Lee. Tremendous fourth-quarter outburst that flipped the game entirely. That comeback actually reminded me of the 1997 fourth-quarter comeback win against Missouri. Also at Columbus.

I'll play (these are just the first I came along - not necessarily the "best"):

65: 1963, Tony Jeter on a 65-yard scoring pass-run early in the fourth quarter enabled the Huskers to get by the rugged Big 10 Minnesota Gophers, 14-7

http://news.google.c...=1531%2C6700426

61: 1970 Nebraska made it a runaway just before the half when Tagge hit sophomore Johnny Rodgers with a 61-yard touchdown pass, beating Wake Forest 36-12.

http://news.google.c...3,2133963&hl=en

58: 2003 Matt Herian was Nebraska’s top offensive threat at Texas with two catches for 90 yards, including his 48-yard fourth-quarter touchdown grab. He closed the regular season with the 58-yard TD catch at Colorado that gave NU a 7-0 first-quarter lead.

http://www.huskers.c...=100&ATCLID=998

55: 2003 Mark LeFlore played in all 13 games with five starts and his 19 receptions were third on the team and covered 197 yards. He accounted for a pair of touchdowns, with a 55-yard catch and run at Missouri.

http://www.huskers.c...100&ATCLID=1002

Tired of searching now. Need to work. That should keep us ahead of OWH for a while.

• 1 year later...