*** Official Husker Yards to Glory Thread ***

Near as I can tell the list is current to what we've mentioned so far. I believe we need to find TDs for these numbers:

91 - Pat Fischer had a TD return against Penn State. Wikipedia says it was 91 yards, but cites HuskerMax, which says it was 92 yards. Someone help find confirmation on the distance on this one, please.

"The Bummeroosky" 1975 NU vs Mizzou. Tom's first win vs MU.

John O'Leary 40 yd rumble.

Haha I've never seen this before. Osborne was such a master at tricking the human brain in the same way magicians do. I don't understand why more coaches don't do things like that.

Skip to 8:27 on this video to see the same principle.

I put Dave Butterfield in at 87 yards for his punt return against TCU in 1976. I don't know if we've had any other scoring plays from 87 yards.

I don't think there were any TDs from 91 or 81 yards, either. At least none that my research dug up. Anyone find any?

What would you guys think of replacing Rozier's 2 yard run against UCLA with Kinney's 2 yard run to win The Game of the Century in 1971?

I know Rozier's run was pretty amazing, but it ended up being a blowout.

I brought that up last page. I'm open to putting Kinney's run in there instead of Rozier's. Mike's play was a superlative individual effort, while Kinney's was historically significant. Either way we go, one gets "shafted."

We could have a show of hands and see if anyone is up for having ONE co-winner. 2A and 2B, if you will.

I brought that up last page. I'm open to putting Kinney's run in there instead of Rozier's. Mike's play was a superlative individual effort, while Kinney's was historically significant. Either way we go, one gets "shafted."

We could have a show of hands and see if anyone is up for having ONE co-winner. 2A and 2B, if you will.

I figured someone mentioned it already, I just didn't take the time to look (my bad).

Like you said, they're both great plays for different reasons. I'd be cool with a 2A and 2B.

1977 Liberty Bowl vs. North Carolina

Garcia, who replaced starter Tom Sorley, first hit wing­back Curtis Craig with a 10-yard touchdown pass (a sensational diving catch) with 10:51 left to cut the Husker deficit to 17-14, then threw a 34-yard scoring pass to Tim Smith with 3:16 left in the game to cap a rally that frustrated UNC's upset hopes.

When in doubt, turn to HuskerMax. Right? I mean, I wouldn't use their boards, but their Husker info is excellent.

From Brian Christopherson:

The 100 Club -- filling in the blanks

Posted by: Brian Christopherson on May 17, 2012 at 4:11PM CSTIn today's paper, I asked for someone to save the day. Maybe someone out there knew of the 91-yard white whale that was eluding us in our 100 Club touchdown series.

We got an answer from our friend Joe Hudson of HuskerMax.com.

Hudson, who once worked at the Lincoln Star, appears to have filled in some blanks, locating a 91-yard fumble return by Jack Dodd against Minnesota in 1938.

As the university yearbook, the 1939 Cornhusker, described it: Dodd provided the thrill of the day when he "whisked the ball" away from a Gopher and set off the other way for a score.Two other newspaper accounts confirm the Dodd return as 91 yards.

It would be Nebraska's only points that day, falling in defeat 16-7.

But we thank Dodd for his thievery. It gives us a 91-yarder.

*** Hudson also dug into the archives and found what appears to be 96- and 97-yard Husker touchdowns from that same era.

In fact, the 96-yard touchdown Hudson found also comes from 1938 -- a kickoff return by Herm Rohrig against Missouri. Nebraska lost the game 13-10.

That 1938 Biff Jones-coached team finished the season with just a 3-5-1 record.

As for the 97-yarder? It belongs to a name familiar to Husker lore. Sam Francis apparently had a kickoff return of that distance in the 1936 season opener against Iowa State.

"Fullback Sam Francis began his rise to national recognition and All American honors in the opening game when he assumed the unaccustomed role of open-field runner to make the longest touchdown of the season," recorded The Cornhusker yearbook of that return.

We send our thanks to Joe Hudson for finding those. The list -- more complete now -- marches on tomorrow with our 90-yarder.