Which Husker is most vital to the team?

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

take t-mart away and we have 2-3 more losses than with him.

take rex away and we have 1 more losses

take david away and we have 1 more losses

the rest of them...i can't see their absense drastically changing our final record. while not having Crick or Dennard would certainly change the game, reducing the margin of error...the eventual outcome would still be the same. from purely a win-loss perspective you have to think T-Mart would cause the most pain. I believe David/Rex will have more positive impact on the team this year than Martinez...but their absense wouldn't have as much of a negative impact on the results.

Has to be the QB.

yep, dont see how you can make an arguement for anyone else

I agree and if TMart goes down then the most vital player would be Brion Carnes. Can't think of any nat'l championship team that had a so so QB ( maybe Josh Hypel).

Martinez is this team. Without him we are toast. Burkhead can not run the offense, he runs the wildcat.

Carnes, give me a break. He played well in the spring game, yea right against the 3rd and 4th defense. He is not ready or even close to as ready as Martinez was last year.

This season hinges on Martinez being healthy, recovered from his injuries and being protected by the Oline. Running backs are a dime a dozen. We do not have an experienced threat to go all the way on the field. Maybe we do, but I have not seen it on game day.

Loosing a Freshman All American QB on any other team would spell doom, but due to the hate for our QB we could do it without him. Amazing.

Mark my words, if Martinez should go down this year, the season will go right along with it. The bad part is that he is a marked man, considered frail. He will have a bulls eye on him, as most feel we will fail without him.

a run first QB.......what are the odds he plays every game and doesn't get injured or slowed along the way due to hits and punishment?

i say not very damn good......we better hope the 2nd string guy can carry us to some degree...

Yeah, Frost/Frazier/Crouch/etc were always hurt and on the bench the majority of the time. Run first qbs just can't hack it. Riiiight.

But then cement shoe pocket qbs are always getting severely anilihated by blitzing 240 lb lbs screamin in at warp seven. Maybe "run first" qbs don't have it tougher than anyone else. At least they don't get totally cremated by those Dick Butkus clones while in a standing-exposed position.

Somebody less lazy than me should do some research and see if QBs who run a lot actually do get injured more than pocket-passers. Martinez, Berringer, and Newcombe are the only QBs I can remember who suffered performance related injuries as running QBs at Nebraska. Sam Keller is the only pocket passer I can think of, but we've only had a couple of them. edit: Oh, and Zac Taylor did get hurt briefly too, didn't he? Didn't Harrison Beck have to come in to replace him against KSU?

Not only did Frost, Frazier, Crouch, Lord, and Gill stay healthy, but more recently Tim Tebow, Darron Thomas, Cam Newton, Tyrod Taylor and Chris Leak all stayed healthy. Meanwhile, Colt McCoy was knocked out of the championship game (that was kind of a freak injury though), Sam Bradford was knocked out for an entire season... Blaine Gabbert was hobbled for most of 2009 after Suh twisted him around...

I'm not sure that a running QB is really much more likely to get injured compared to pocket passers. I think it just comes down to luck.

I don't think there's even a debate on this one. Rex is and should be the horse this year and rightfully so. He has proven his worth. In my opinion he is one those backs that only get better as the game goes on and the more carries they have. We would sorely miss him and this year he will make Husker fans remember the old days of the grinder at running back.

This kid can not get a break from the haters.

Last year he was the whole reason we lost x number of games. This year his play is not important, but the running back that may see 25% of the plays is far more important. I guess we just chuck the other 75% out.

Do not get me wrong, I am not more of Martinez fan than any other QB on the team. I want the best out there. The fan base has thrown this kid under the bus and seems to want to keep him there.

I am concerned about his health, the oline needs to step it up this year, WR need to catch the ball. And the new RB's will need to learn to block. I hope to see us more multiple in our attack, and Taylor not being our whole offense like last year. If that happens, then Burkhead does become a significant part of the offense.

Still a team effort, it appears the team and the staff are behind Taylor, I think we need to follow step.

This kid can not get a break from the haters.

Last year he was the whole reason we lost x number of games. This year his play is not important, but the running back that may see 25% of the plays is far more important. I guess we just chuck the other 75% out.

Do not get me wrong, I am not more of Martinez fan than any other QB on the team. I want the best out there. The fan base has thrown this kid under the bus and seems to want to keep him there.

I am concerned about his health, the oline needs to step it up this year, WR need to catch the ball. And the new RB's will need to learn to block. I hope to see us more multiple in our attack, and Taylor not being our whole offense like last year. If that happens, then Burkhead does become a significant part of the offense.

Still a team effort, it appears the team and the staff are behind Taylor, I think we need to follow step.

You do realize Martinez is leading this poll, yes?

• Fire 1

I realize that 50% feel he is not the most important part of the team. And I realize that if he does not play up to par that 50% will blame him for every game lost, just exactly like last year. I realize that that same 50% will look for any shortcomings and rant on and on about them, just like last year.

I am impressed half of us feel he is that important to the team, and that some see just how lucky we are to have him, if he is at 100%.

With him healthy we have a shot at a conference championship, something we have not won in many, many, many moons, with out him we have a chance to finish 50-50.

I realize that 50% feel he is not the most important part of the team. And I realize that if he does not play up to par that 50% will blame him for every game lost, just exactly like last year. I realize that that same 50% will look for any shortcomings and rant on and on about them, just like last year.

I am impressed half of us feel he is that important to the team, and that some see just how lucky we are to have him, if he is at 100%.

With him healthy we have a shot at a conference championship, something we have not won in many, many, many moons, with out him we have a chance to finish 50-50.

Then what would be an acceptable percentage? The majority of people here already agree with you.