***Official Fall Camp Injuries Thread***

have we forgotten what walkons mean to the program and the legendary walkons of the past? The coaches know what they are doing when they move players into positions. I have to say that it drives me nutz when people slam young men when they have never seen them play. This kid grew up in a small town and excelled at QB and LB but because he played 8-man you guys want to dog him, all i can say is wow!! a true husker fan would applaud the kid for being a player which all of us would have killed to do. I guess i am just dissapointed when i see any player slamed, they work hard for this team and for it's fans and all you guys do is ridicule them. It is disgusting!!!

P.S. Anyone who thinks you can't make it in division I football after playing 8-man looses all credibility as a husker fan!

Just watching the Iowa preview I DVR'd from BTN, and Kirk Ferentz said something that reminded me of this thread:

"We had a real unusual circumstance last year where we had a very good player, and another player that we had total confidence in to back him up."

He's talking about Stanzi and Vandenberg, and how unusual it is to have even two QBs you're confident in. People need to keep this kind of perspective when they're worrying about being three deep at QB. By the time you get to your #3 guy, you'd better be worried about him. If you aren't, you may have some recruiting questions to answer - as in, how did you get three top-flight QBs to come to your program at the same time (ahem, Pete Carroll).

have we forgotten what walkons mean to the program and the legendary walkons of the past? The coaches know what they are doing when they move players into positions. I have to say that it drives me nutz when people slam young men when they have never seen them play. This kid grew up in a small town and excelled at QB and LB but because he played 8-man you guys want to dog him, all i can say is wow!! a true husker fan would applaud the kid for being a player which all of us would have killed to do. I guess i am just dissapointed when i see any player slamed, they work hard for this team and for it's fans and all you guys do is ridicule them. It is disgusting!!!

P.S. Anyone who thinks you can't make it in division I football after playing 8-man looses all credibility as a husker fan!

1 post - and you've taken it personal already saying I have no credibility. Nice. Perhaps you can back up your 8-man QB argument w/ an AllStar BCS-D1 list of 8-man HS QBs that actually saw playing time? Anyone? I can't think of any of the top of my head. I'm sure there are some. It would probably make for a great story so I'm sure it would have been reported. lineman, yeah. rbs, yeah. wrs, prolly. Colton Koehler was a QB at Harvard, NE, turned into a LB. Taylor Dixon was a QB for 8-man team, now a WR. Ben Eisenhart played some QB at Culbertson I think, ended up having quite a bit of success in the backfield. But, you just don't go from 8-man QB - D1 QB.

I'm not bashing walk-ons or 8-man football. Don't take it personal please. But the reality is 8-man football is generally just a few steps off the playground. It's a ground game with little finesse. Your best players play both sides of the ball. There are few assignments. Very little pure technique. The playbook rarely extends beyond a few pages. At an individual level, your success is 90% dependent on athletic ability, 10% on the coaching/scheme. In D1, flip those around. It's even more so at the QB position, where the gap between D1 and 8-man is even greater. You've got 3 linemen in front of you instead of 5. A pocket exists, at most...maybe 1 time a game. Scrambling on every play, you have 1 less receiver. The defense has 2 less defensive backs which helps, but generally speaking 2 seconds into the play you've already handed off the ball or read your 1 option and decided to run. The gap is just huge...and if putting down the :koolaid2: and acknowledging that means I lose all credibility as a Husker fan, well sh!t I probably didn't have any to start with. :)

• Fire 1

1 post - and you've taken it personal already saying I have no credibility. Nice. Perhaps you can back up your 8-man QB argument w/ an AllStar BCS-D1 list of 8-man HS QBs that actually saw playing time? Anyone? I can't think of any of the top of my head. I'm sure there are some. It would probably make for a great story so I'm sure it would have been reported. lineman, yeah. rbs, yeah. wrs, prolly. Colton Koehler was a QB at Harvard, NE, turned into a LB. Taylor Dixon was a QB for 8-man team, now a WR. Ben Eisenhart played some QB at Culbertson I think, ended up having quite a bit of success in the backfield. But, you just don't go from 8-man QB - D1 QB.

I'm not bashing walk-ons or 8-man football. Don't take it personal please. But the reality is 8-man football is generally just a few steps off the playground. It's a ground game with little finesse. Your best players play both sides of the ball. There are few assignments. Very little pure technique. The playbook rarely extends beyond a few pages. At an individual level, your success is 90% dependent on athletic ability, 10% on the coaching/scheme. In D1, flip those around. It's even more so at the QB position, where the gap between D1 and 8-man is even greater. You've got 3 linemen in front of you instead of 5. A pocket exists, at most...maybe 1 time a game. Scrambling on every play, you have 1 less receiver. The defense has 2 less defensive backs which helps, but generally speaking 2 seconds into the play you've already handed off the ball or read your 1 option and decided to run. The gap is just huge...and if putting down the :koolaid2: and acknowledging that means I lose all credibility as a Husker fan, well sh!t I probably didn't have any to start with. :)

Didn't both of the Makovicka's play 8 man football?

Any of them "HUSKER" QBs?

PS: I should also include "modern-day" in there. I have no doubt an 8-man HS QB could have played QB for the Huskers in the 40's, 50's, 60's...

There has to be a first time for everything. I do not think you should automatically disqualify anyone at any position just because they played 8 man football. The staff has this kid at QB and I trust their reasons for having faith in him.

I'm w/ ya - and I know we will probalby never call on him so it doesn't matter anyway...but if we trusted the staff all the time there wouldn't be a single "is martinez our best QB" thread. Instead we have about 40 of them questioning/supporting his abilities. Heaven forbid I should call into question a freshman linebacker, converted to QB w/ a background in 8-man football.

I love Husker fans sometimes. :) It's ok to question the florida recruit, or the 4* who likes baseball, or the freshman that set about every FR record possible - but call into question anyone or anything that may be associated w/ the walkon program and/or 8-man Nebraska ball and you immediately have zero credibility.

"I love Riddle. He is everything this program stands for. He is a walk-on. He's from a small town. He's a hard worker. He played 8-man football. He represents legends of the past. All this together means he will be a successful D1 QB." sound logic when drunk on :koolaid2::)

Personally, I don't care if he's a sholly player from Florida, or a walk on from the sticks in Nebraska...at this point he's a Husker football player and I'll judge him just like I would everyone else. I think he should have been left at linebacker, where maybe someday he could have played in front of those 90,000 fans he always dreamed of playing in front of. At QB...never gonna happen.

• Fire 1

Chris

you missed the point entierly. My point is don't bag ont the kids, peroid. they work hard and are where none of us were good enough to get to. or were you a football player for the huskers?? if you were i'll stop talking!! I do not post i usually just get on here to see if i can get some info on the program. I read all year last year about people questioning martinez and it made me upset then and does now. I just had to make the point that being negative about these kids isn't doing anyone any good. They get enough of that from opposing fans and reporters. We are supposed to be the ones supporting them!

and for the record it is Ridder and he was all state class C2 as junior in 11 man as well as all state in 8 man. CC only went down to 8 man last year.

• Fire 1

My point is don't bag ont the kids, peroid.

You've come to the wrong place. :) That's like saying don't post pics of bikini clad hot girls in a football forum. Oh wait...

I read all year last year about people questioning martinez

And my Ridder skepticism is what finally caused you to post? This is like shooting him w/ a nerf gun in comparison to the cannons that have been fired at t-mart on this board.