Interesting First Practice Tidbits

You know this bubba thing is crap!!! Get your pads on or get the hell out of here!

Seriously? You're going to carry this into another thread? Just leave it in the Bubba Starling thread josh.

I hate to say it, but I kind of agree with josh. If he is going to play football, play football. I can't believe Bo is letting him do this to be quite honest.

I can't stand that "fans" that are ripping on an 18 year old kid who has 10 days to make a MAJOR LIFE CHOICE. Good lord, get over yourselves. Him sitting out of practice for the next 10 days is not going to change anything as far as him becoming a great QB or a terrible one.

Right now, he is holding on to a winning lotto ticket, let me ask you this, if you had a winning lotto ticket for 10 millions dollars, would you drive to the lotto office with it dangling out the window???

Well, of course not! But if you think the kid should practice right now, thats what you are asking him to do. Think nothing can happen? Guess what, Prince just broke his foot in practice today with the Giants. It happens. Better safe then sorry for the next 10 days.

• Fire 2

You know this bubba thing is crap!!! Get your pads on or get the hell out of here!

Seriously? You're going to carry this into another thread? Just leave it in the Bubba Starling thread josh.

I hate to say it, but I kind of agree with josh. If he is going to play football, play football. I can't believe Bo is letting him do this to be quite honest.

Letting him do what? Not practice?

Given that Bubba is not going to play football, what would you rather have him do?

By the way, I saw that Prince's 4-year contract was around $8.1 million, and I think only 3.5 years of it are guaranteed. For a first round draft pick. Man, did that rookie wage scale make a huge difference.

The kid has a tough decision to make. He wants to play football but knows money is important and he may miss this chance. Either way he could miss out on Husker ball or money. Tough decision really. Throw away your youth for cash or toss the cash for play time in college. Bo's doing the right thing. An ultimatum pushes Starling away. It's worth a shot to let him think it over and know that Bo's behind him.

Kids are not kids anymore, open your eyes, he knew his decision today by not suiting up, so go to baseball thats all I'm saying, don't use nebraska to earn your self more money! Its time to go

Where did you get the idea it was his decision not to suit up? He probably wants to be out with the other guys on the field as bad as anyone else. I believe Bo is the one that has the say when it comes to him practicing or not. Bo knows what Bubba has at stake and is playing it safe with him to protect the kids intrests whether it be football or baseball.

Kids are not kids anymore, open your eyes, he knew his decision today by not suiting up, so go to baseball thats all I'm saying, don't use nebraska to earn your self more money! Its time to go

He would be earning himself money if he went to practice.

As it is, he's destroyed his own leverage by telegraphing his choice so obviously.

Not sure it was his choice, really.

What difference, to Nebraska, does 10 days of the fans not officially knowing what the coaches probably know as well as Bubba already?

I think you just want to "know" already, but patience, it'll come in time...

Jones has said before that his back-problems wouldn't be gone but it is disheartening that he's already missing practice. Earlier this summer I read they were playing with Jones moving to guard but with Cotton coming-on like a mofo, the back deal, as well as some rumors of Sirles not hitting on all cylinders I think Jones will stay put.

The other guys not making the 105 weren't surprising but I was a little taken-aback that Middleton is lagging. When he first got here they were talking him up and now this is the second time he didn't make the Fall-105. He's still just a rs-soph but it's not a positive sign.

As far as Bubba goes kid has a ton of bank on the line. I can't blame him for protecting himself.

I think that they should be having the Oline work on blind side protection and have Bubba just stand there as the defenseless QB, after getting his low back and kidneys pummeled and needing the help of a machine to pee they should move over to sprints, up the stadium steps and down BUT with a blindfold on.

That will teach Bubba for being really good at a bunch of sports and having TWO chances of a lifetime right in front of him that he has to agonize over.

Man, the nerve of that guy!!!

(Can I assume I do not need to add the sarcasm face)

Okafor, Mendoza, Ward, and Middleton are showing up on the 2011 rosters on both Huskers.com and Huskermax.com. Wheres this 105 roster that you're looking at? Am I missing something here lol???

Also I noticed that Curenski Gilleylen is listed at IB instead of WR. Does this surprise me? Yes and No. Yes mainly because he's been with the WR's for years and knows the routes plus his speed but No because he's had horrible hands and his speed could help us in the depth with the running backs.

This has also been verified by Brian Rosenthal of the LJS

Posted by: Brian Rosenthal on August 6, 2011 at 2:16PM CST

Other notes from Saturday’s first practice:

-- Bo Pelini seemed upbeat and pleased, particularly with what he saw from the offense.

“The tempo was great today, the communication was really good,” Pelini said. “Obviously, having the time together and installing it through the spring … I think the players did a good job of continuing their learning and getting comfortable with the offense in the summer time. They do that on their own, and I think that showed today.”

-- Collins Okafor, Lester Ward, Marcus Mendoza and Lazarri Middleton are scholarship players not on the 105-man roster.

And Curenski moved in the spring

Damn thanks for posting that article I can't read any articles that are linked on Huskermax because my work blocks it but they don't block Facebook....retarded.

Doesn't surprise me about Okafor because didn't he leave the team last year but to join the team 2 days later or something like that? Also Mendoza has been shuffled around from position to position more than a hooker in a week LOL. Besides when you have freshman coming in like Heard, Green, and Abdullah while newcomers like Ty Kildow and Zack Taylor shined at the spring game its hard to get any reps.

If you ask me, guys like Okafor and Lester have had more than enough time to establish themselves on this team. If they haven't done it yet, and considering they are off the 105 man roster, it doesn't look like they ever will. It might be pass time to fish or cut bait. Cut the bait and move on.