Fisher Returns at the right time

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_f6532b67-fb88-5c50-9482-847b4e4146c2.html

The least of Sean Fisher's worries last August was who found out first about his broken leg, or how.

"I was more concerned with how bad my leg hurt," the Nebraska linebacker said.

Makes sense.

Little did Fisher know that his season-ending injury would be the biggest news of fall camp for more than one reason.

Nebraska lost a linebacker, and coach Bo Pelini, upset that reports of Fisher's injury leaked to the media before Fisher's parents were informed, made the unprecedented move of shutting down media access.

"I didn't even know that happened," Fisher said. "I found out a couple of weeks later."

Were Fisher's parents upset at the sequence of events?

"I don't know. Honestly, we never really talked about it," Fisher said. "My parents are not such where they surely get bent out of shape about those kinds of things. But we never really had the discussion."

The more important talk now is of Fisher's return to football. And whatever excitement you think he's feeling, you can multiply it times two.

Not only is he back close to 100 percent, he's also part of a linebacker corps that's relishing Nebraska's move to the Big Ten.

I hope he is 100% because we are very unproven at this position besides David.

Seriously? What kind of situation were we in last year when we didn't have a single proven LB then? Now we have David, Compton, May, Fisher & Whaley back. Martin could even drop back in 3-4 situations. Last year that was our same depth chart! Plus Fisher now! No other position do we have the entire depth chart back, yet this seems to be the one everyone goes off on regarding the lack of depth. (oh, it's the scary Big10 now) We didn't lose anyone! (minus Grove and his 5 tackles)

We return 197 out of 202 tackles by a LB in 2010. I am pretty excited about the LB spot this year. Guess I'm the only one.

• Fire 1

Seriously? What kind of situation were we in last year when we didn't have a single proven LB then? Now we have David, Compton, May, Fisher & Whaley back. Martin could even drop back in 3-4 situations. Last year that was our same depth chart! Plus Fisher now! No other position do we have the entire depth chart back, yet this seems to be the one everyone goes off on regarding the lack of depth. (oh, it's the scary Big10 now) We didn't lose anyone! (minus Grove and his 5 tackles)

We return 197 out of 202 tackles by a LB in 2010. I am pretty excited about the LB spot this year. Guess I'm the only one.

Yeah, the vast majority of those 197 tackles were by David. I think it's fair to say he's our only proven guy.

I don't think it is unfair to make the statement that we are unproven at linebacker. Sure we have 197 tackles coming back 152 of which came from our All-American. Fisher, if he is 100% he sure as heck better have improved a ton since his freshman year because we played the majority of the time that year with one linebacker on the field as well. Then when we finally had a chance to go 4-3 against CU, Fisher was definately lost out there. Don't remember him making any impact, never played with great leverage. Had he played last year Bo liked him because he was long and lanky and could get into a lot of passing lanes. We will definately see about Fish this year.

Compton was also the victum of some terrible luck. Definately has potential, but all potential means is that you haven't done it yet.

As for Whaley, I don't think he will ever make an impact.

Mattew May, okay.

As much as it pains me to say this, I really think that Eric Martin is only going to be a special teams player. Joseph Carter will be our starting left end.

To say that we are unproven is not a stretch at all.

We better be thanking our lucky stars each and every day that Lavonte David did not bolt to South Florida on us a week or two before signing day. Lord knows where we would have been last year without him. He is the one out of this bunch that we just cannot afford to lose.

• Fire 1

Severe said the other day that Fischer still feels pain at practice. It might take a few games to get his body fully conditioned. His injury was pretty serious and it's honestly amazing that he's almost 100%.

breaks are tough, Herian was never himself again after his injury, not even close....i wish him the best.

I don't think it is unfair to make the statement that we are unproven at linebacker. Sure we have 197 tackles coming back 152 of which came from our All-American. Fisher, if he is 100% he sure as heck better have improved a ton since his freshman year because we played the majority of the time that year with one linebacker on the field as well. Then when we finally had a chance to go 4-3 against CU, Fisher was definately lost out there. Don't remember him making any impact, never played with great leverage. Had he played last year Bo liked him because he was long and lanky and could get into a lot of passing lanes. We will definately see about Fish this year.

Compton was also the victum of some terrible luck. Definately has potential, but all potential means is that you haven't done it yet.

Mattew May, okay.

As much as it pains me to say this, I really think that Eric Martin is only going to be a special teams player. Joseph Carter will be our starting left end.

We better be thanking our lucky stars each and every day that Lavonte David did not bolt to South Florida on us a week or two before signing day. Lord knows where we would have been last year without him. He is the one out of this bunch that we just cannot afford to lose.

Oh c'mon EZ-E. You just love to rain on my parade. Caveman only a special teams player? Not even making a dent at DE?

Oh boy, I hope you're wrong.

Mattew May, okay.

Oh c'mon EZ-E. You just love to rain on my parade. Caveman only a special teams player? Not even making a dent at DE?

Oh boy, I hope you're wrong.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/vmix_4d82de72-7acc-5157-8c1e-83e518950618.html

he doesn't sound extremely confident in the end of that video.

writing off David's 152 tackles and then saying we are unproven, like he isn't still on the team is a rough argument. He's there. He's proven. The rest of the guys were there last year. They are proven. Whether or not they played well is beside the point...but the fact is: we know (assuming no injuries) almost exactly what we are going to get out of our LB group this year...that's the exact definition of proven.

Our DE's are unproven. Our safeties, unproven. CB...uproven. LB however, just like the DT postion...proven.

Also, we only had 2 of them on the field almost all season. They might have been a week point, but the fact of the matter is there will probably be 50% more of them on the field this year.