Has anyone noticed?

The FieldTurf on the outdoor practice fields AND the FieldTurf inside the Hawks Center is EXACTLY the same as the FieldTurf inside Memorial Stadium.

Is the surface inside Cook the same? It's been a while since I've been in there.

They haven't changed the turf inside Cook in awhile. I play football in there all the time and it looks like they haven't changed it since before the Hawks Center opened. It looks more like the astroturf or the real old FieldTurf than the new stuff.

Played on both in college and my college actually installed FieldTurf my sophmore year. FieldTurf, at first, is easier on the body. There is a cushion effect and it is easier to cut and plant on. Eventually it starts to harden. That is why it is replaced every seven or eight years. The biggest negative for it is the fact that the base is chopped up tires(the little black pellets you see fly up when players land on it) and it gets ungodly hot. I mean your feet burn.

The thing that makes it "softer' is not only the ground up tires, bt it sits on a base of about 1-2 feet of sand. A reason rain doesn't have such a profound effect on the games.

I can't fathom the idea that thereis no place to practice on grass though. Every school seems to have both options of practicing on either depending on what a road opponents turf may be. I believe there is a place where they pratice on grass though. And I personally believe all schools with grass should go to FieldTurf. Easier to maintain and I believe it does cut down on injuries.

The FieldTurf on the outdoor practice fields AND the FieldTurf inside the Hawks Center is EXACTLY the same as the FieldTurf inside Memorial Stadium.

Is the surface inside Cook the same? It's been a while since I've been in there.

It's categorized the same, but it's very different. The turf that Memorial and the practice fields have is still technically "field turf", but it's fairly revolutionary and a huge step up from the field turf we had from '99 or '00 until '05 or whenever we got the new stuff. The stuff in Cook Pavilion is like that, still grass-like and safe but not quite on par with today's turf.

On a side note, do you guys remember when they used to continually dump sand into the turf at Memorial Stadium? I remember seeing clips of them doing it, and I remember a bunch of sand flying up when players would cut but I haven't seen any flying sand the last few years. Don't remember why they did that either, I think they said something about it helping with traction.

Did some reconnoitering after the Red/White volleyball match tonight because the talk of sprinklers up there ^^^ made me think that I've seen sprinklers going off over there recently, too.

Turns out that BOTH fields east of the Hawks center are not FieldTurf. The field immediately east of the Hawks center is, but the eastern-most of the two is grass. Duh. That only makes sense that they'd have one of each. Shoulda thought of that. :LOLtartar

I've always thought the conference has some excellent grass. Most of the schools have the climate for cool season grasses, so they might have some trouble during the heat of the summer. MSUs field won national field of the year honors recently but there was a U2 concert that destroyed it this summer. It was not unexpected, so the new surface is installed and looking good after being grown in Colorado. Here's a good article if you are into turf management: http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062911aad.html

MSU takes the field condition very seriously. When I think of Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State and Penn State, some pretty fine looking grass comes to mind. Bump this thread after the season and let me know what you think.

Every Nebraska game in the Big10 this year is going to be like a bowl game. I'll watch every one. The first game @ Wisky is going to be fantastic. Though MSU fans have no great love for the Badgers, they'll be representing the reputation of the conference, and had better bring it.

I've always thought the conference has some excellent grass. Most of the schools have the climate for cool season grasses, so they might have some trouble during the heat of the summer. MSUs field won national field of the year honors recently but there was a U2 concert that destroyed it this summer. It was not unexpected, so the new surface is installed and looking good after being grown in Colorado. Here's a good article if you are into turf management: http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062911aad.html

MSU takes the field condition very seriously. When I think of Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State and Penn State, some pretty fine looking grass comes to mind. Bump this thread after the season and let me know what you think.

Every Nebraska game in the Big10 this year is going to be like a bowl game. I'll watch every one. The first game @ Wisky is going to be fantastic. Though MSU fans have no great love for the Badgers, they'll be representing the reputation of the conference, and had better bring it.

wow... respect to you our friend... for obvious pride in what you do.

Cook Pavillion has the old FieldTurf from 1999 and even has the little 6 inch sloping crown that was in the middle of Memorial Stadium before they flattened it when they put in the new FieldTurf in 2005. Kinda surprised it never got redone the past go-around but the building is 20 something years old now so it may not have been worth it.

Did some reconnoitering after the Red/White volleyball match tonight because the talk of sprinklers up there ^^^ made me think that I've seen sprinklers going off over there recently, too.

Turns out that BOTH fields east of the Hawks center are not FieldTurf. The field immediately east of the Hawks center is, but the eastern-most of the two is grass. Duh. That only makes sense that they'd have one of each. Shoulda thought of that. :LOLtartar

Wow. I learned something new. Thanks Knapplc. I thought they were both turfed (is that a word) last off-season.. but leaving one grass makes a lot of sense.

Great post and please stick around to shoot the proverbial BS. However, both Iowa and Wisconsin have been playing on FieldTurf for sometime now.

Great post and please stick around to shoot the proverbial BS. However, both Iowa and Wisconsin have been playing on FieldTurf for sometime now.

Crap! I've revealed my age. I've had season tickets in Spartan Stadium since 1977 and have been to most of the stadiums in the B10. I would have loved to go to the MSU/NU game this year, but strangely enough none of my buddies here in Missouri seem to have much interest.

Crap! I've revealed my age. I've had season tickets in Spartan Stadium since 1977 and have been to most of the stadiums in the B10. I would have loved to go to the MSU/NU game this year, but strangely enough none of my buddies here in Missouri seem to have much interest.

Screw them!!! Come up anyways and we'll show you a good time.

It's all good my friend. I have had a few people actually ask me how UNL gets the grass to grow in two different shades of green before.

I've been watching the BTN's trip to fall camp across the league...is it just me or do the facilities especially the grass practice fields so far just look horrible? Iowa looked like they were practicing in someone's back yard, Illinois looked pretty rough even Oklahoma's practice field on ESPN Total Access looks like a freakin' goat ranch. It just surprised me to see what appears to be such a huge discrepancy between what NU has and what the other teams have.

They might have been. I didn't have a chance to watch Iowa's fall camp special to see exactly where they were shown, but I think they are doing some construction work in the practice facility area that very well might have caused issues with irrigation - and given the heat this summer that would have turned it into a field of dirt. In the stadium itself is field turf.