Top 10 teams' fatal flaws

ADS

9. NEBRASKA

The issue: Pass offense

The buzz: Nebraska QB Taylor Martinez sure was a good runner last season. Martinez threw the heck out of the ball as a high school senior in the Los Angeles area, but he struggled as a passer last season. He threw for 1,631 yards, with 10 TDs and seven picks. But five of his TDs came against the sieve that masqueraded as Oklahoma State's secondary, and he tossed just two TD passes in the last seven games of the season. In that same span, he threw four interceptions. In addition, the Huskers return just one wide receiver (Brandon Kinnie) who caught more than one pass last season. The Huskers have changed coordinators, promoting running backs coach Tim Beck. He never has been a play-caller, but he was the passing game coordinator for the Kansas team that won the Orange Bowl in the 2007 season. The Huskers aren't going to be a pass-first team, but Beck has to find a way to make Martinez a more productive passer.

Article

It's more than a little relieving that Wisconsin could have a shaky front 7 on D.

Especially considering they didn't have a good defense last year.

I also wouldn't say their D wasn't good either. But a lot overlook this aspect and entirely focus on their offense, mainly their running game and the Wilson addition.

It's more than a little relieving that Wisconsin could have a shaky front 7 on D.

Especially considering they didn't have a good defense last year.

Really? Assuming some sarcasm here. They were ranked between 20-26 in almost every category. I wouldn't say their defense wasn't good.

Which can be largely attributed to their offensive run game and cake schedule. They had a good defense in the same way Nebraska had a good offense.

I guess I only watched them against TCU last year - and their defense didn't seem bad at all to me. I see Wisconsin as a consistently good, but rarely great defense. They never gave up 40+ (like our defense did last year). But like I said - I didn't follow them closely at all.

The big difference between our defense and theirs is, our defense had to carry the team, and had to battle back from constantly being put in horrible positions. Their defense could chill on the bench while their offense actually put drives together. I wouldn't say Wisconsin had a bad defense, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they had a good one. They were ok. JJ Watt was far and away their biggest playmaker on defense. That's a huge loss for them.

I can see what you're sayin. The way their offense is designed they are winning the time of possession by large margins. If I remember right they were ranked in the top 10 in TOP last year while Nebraska was much farther down that list. We were eitehr 3-out or 3-score long TD.

(can't seem to find the TOP rankings I looked at a while back.)

The best part of this article is that we're in the Top Ten, even if it is only preseason. It's nice to be hanging out here, rather than on the outside looking in.

Take care of business in our first four games and we should be looking at a matchup of two top-ten teams in Madison on 10/1/11.

Heavy dose of playaction should fix it.

What is this you speak of? Is this some sort of witch-craft trickery? Can we only win games now by trick plays?

Is this the word from the Iowa fan that I saw on the front page that they will beat us of this so called "Play-Action" that we have never seen, used, or heard of before?