Top 10 teams' fatal flaws

ADS

Heavy dose of playaction should fix it.

I wouldn't mind seeing some screens in there too...I could really see Abdullah catching the middle screen and running for awhile!

We haven't run a successful middle screen since 2007.

In those days, we complained about it a lot too.

I think QB play will be key to us this year, as will the OL play. I am more concerned about the OL at this point really, but I don't know what at all to expect from Taylor.

I think QB play will be key to us this year, as will the OL play. I am more concerned about the OL at this point really, but I don't know what at all to expect from Taylor.

If the OL blows goats for nickels, it doesn't matter what T-mart does...

Heavy dose of playaction should fix it.

I wouldn't mind seeing some screens in there too...I could really see Abdullah catching the middle screen and running for awhile!

We haven't run a successful middle screen since 2007.

That and the halfback pass were literally probably my favorite parts of the Callahan era, outside of Zac Taylor.

I guess I only watched them against TCU last year - and their defense didn't seem bad at all to me. I see Wisconsin as a consistently good, but rarely great defense. They never gave up 40+ (like our defense did last year). But like I said - I didn't follow them closely at all.

We did have a crap game against OSU, RT and PJ got benched for good reason and even Prince struggled, but NOBODY stopped OSU when Blackmon was healthy. Hell they scored 41 on OU with Blackmon limping in and out of the game ever other play. Wiscy never played an offense like that. That said, I would agree that Wiscy is typically has a good defense.

9. NEBRASKA

The issue: Pass offense

The buzz: Nebraska QB Taylor Martinez sure was a good runner last season. Martinez threw the heck out of the ball as a high school senior in the Los Angeles area, but he struggled as a passer last season. He threw for 1,631 yards, with 10 TDs and seven picks. But five of his TDs came against the sieve that masqueraded as Oklahoma State's secondary, and he tossed just two TD passes in the last seven games of the season. In that same span, he threw four interceptions. In addition, the Huskers return just one wide receiver (Brandon Kinnie) who caught more than one pass last season. The Huskers have changed coordinators, promoting running backs coach Tim Beck. He never has been a play-caller, but he was the passing game coordinator for the Kansas team that won the Orange Bowl in the 2007 season. The Huskers aren't going to be a pass-first team, but Beck has to find a way to make Martinez a more productive passer.

Article

Passing game our fatal flaw? If you go by last season, then 'yes'. Hard to say whether we'll be able to pass the ball this year. Or catch it.

I think our fatal flaw has been Shawn Watson TBH. It remains to be seen whether or not Beck is the answer to our offensive riddle, however. Offenses can but shut down any day of the week, and I'm not expecting us to have a '95 caliber offense, but it'd be nice to have an offense that doesn't fumble as much, poorly execute or run bad play after bad play like they did.

I think our fatal flaw has been Shawn Watson TBH. It remains to be seen whether or not Beck is the answer to our offensive riddle, however. Offenses can but shut down any day of the week, and I'm not expecting us to have a '95 caliber offense, but it'd be nice to have an offense that doesn't fumble as much, poorly execute or run bad play after bad play like they did.

Shawn had issues with play calling but all plays look pretty sucky when the Oline doesn't block worth a crap half the time.

• Fire 1

Shawn had issues with play calling but all plays look pretty sucky when the Oline doesn't block worth a crap half the time.

yeah but a simple halfback screen or shovel pass would've taken pressure off that oline in several contests last year when the opposition was just pinning their ears back

yeah but a simple halfback screen or shovel pass would've taken pressure off that oline in several contests last year when the opposition was just pinning their ears back

Couldnt agree more with this. Playaction and screens make you think twice about blizting and it takes so much pressure off.