So.... when do we see the Blackshirts handed out?

I can't agree that giving them to them now is okay. They haven't earned it, they haven't completely shut a team down this season. I'm sick and tired of hearing about the "blackshirt" defense from the national pundits and then watching that same "blackshirt" defense get eaten alive on national television. Until they start playing aggressively, shutting offenses down, and walking around with a swagger that just makes you sick, they don't deserve those blackshirts. They need to have that, "I'm going to kill you for stepping on the field with me and then take your sister out to dinner" attitude or they don't deserve them. JMO

But that whole "I'm going to kill you for stepping on the field" attitude isn't Bo's defensive philosophy. We are never going to see those Charlie McBride attacking defenses that we all know as the Blackshirts under Bo, unless he gets another superlative phenom like Ndamukong Suh, whose sheer abilities cannot help but be that way.

Bo's philosophy is bend-but-don't break. He wants to force the opponent to grind out long drives, to make their own play beat them. Bo's defenses don't dictate to their opponent, they're a read-and-react style of defense. That's what makes it so much harder to figure out what the benchmark is - they're always going to give up yards, and they're always going to give up points to high-powered offenses. It's just part of the style Bo runs. So if he's waiting for them to shut a team down.... he needs to switch what they do.

Oh, I agree that Bo's philosophy is bend-but-don't break. Let's take last year for example, I know no one wants to deal with that amount of penalties again, but that defense was alot more aggressive and the year before they were as well. It seems that as Bo has calmed down some so has his defenses menality on the field. They need to play smarter, I definately get that, but I don't like seeing them lose that edge they had the past few seasons. Sure we'd get some personal fouls in a game and I'm not saying those are okay, but those things send "messages" to the other team of, "I'm not scared of you and I'll punch you in the mouth if I have to so my point gets across!" I believe Chase Rome will provide a fire on the defensive line that is sorely needed. Opinion on Rome?

In limited action Rome seems to be a good addition to the defensive line. With all respect to Crick, his injury may be addition by subtraction. I believe there was something not altogether right about Crick this season, even before the ear-holing he got against Washington. Rome's personal foul was good fire - although he (rightly) got a butt-chewing for it.

But just like Osborne, Smith, Washington, Green, May, Fisher, Compton, Whaley, Ankrah, Martin, etc, it rests on Bo and his staff to properly develop Rome. He may have all the raw talent in the world, but if they're not capable - or not willing - to bring that out of him then he'll never amount to much more than he is today - a guy with talent. Everyone I listed in the first sentence of this paragraph has talent. It's up to Bo & Co. to draw that talent out of them. So far this season....... :dunno

In limited action Rome seems to be a good addition to the defensive line. With all respect to Crick, his injury may be addition by subtraction. I believe there was something not altogether right about Crick this season, even before the ear-holing he got against Washington. Rome's personal foul was good fire - although he (rightly) got a butt-chewing for it.

But just like Osborne, Smith, Washington, Green, May, Fisher, Compton, Whaley, Ankrah, Martin, etc, it rests on Bo and his staff to properly develop Rome. He may have all the raw talent in the world, but if they're not capable - or not willing - to bring that out of him then he'll never amount to much more than he is today - a guy with talent. Everyone I listed in the first sentence of this paragraph has talent. It's up to Bo & Co. to draw that talent out of them. So far this season....... :dunno

Ya, I'm seeing a little "peteresque" play with Rome. I could see him stepping up and being a very vocal leader in the future like the Peters'. We REALLY need someone who can do that. However, hopefully he can just bring that out when it's on the field and not get distracted off the field!

Holding the Blackshirts out is BS. The fact that this team doesn't have their Blackshirts is as much the fault of the coaches as anyone else. You cannot tell me that it's possible that Bo recruited these players, has trained these players in his system for two/three/four years, and they are flat not good enough:

P.J. Smith – four years in the system, not even starting

Ciante Evans - two years in the system, started as a Freshman

Courtney Osborne - four years in the system, not even starting

Austin Cassidy – four years in the system, making many errors

Andrew Green – third year in the system, responsible for about half of all TDs caught against NU

Lance Thorell – four years in the system, making many errors

This is just a quick run-through of the secondary. Go through the D Line, go through the linebackers, it's the same thing. Bo has been here too long for the former regime to be at fault. These are his guys, his schemes, his coaches. You cannot blame this on Raymond, you cannot blame this on Els. If they are at fault, Bo is at fault more for bringing them in.

If Bo is holding these guys to some benchmark that they have not earned, then he has not given them the tools to earn it, and withholding the Blackshirts is a completely BS motivational tool. It all rests on Bo. If the players aren't good enough, then he failed somewhere, not them.

This. The best defensive players we've had since Bo's been here were brought in before he got here with the exception of David and he was a JuCo player. It would be one thing if these guys were getting beat because they're athletically inferior to the teams we play. However, I do not see this as being the case. They just are never where they need to be.

Holding the Blackshirts out is BS. The fact that this team doesn't have their Blackshirts is as much the fault of the coaches as anyone else. You cannot tell me that it's possible that Bo recruited these players, has trained these players in his system for two/three/four years, and they are flat not good enough:

P.J. Smith – four years in the system, not even starting

Ciante Evans - two years in the system, started as a Freshman

Courtney Osborne - four years in the system, not even starting

Austin Cassidy – four years in the system, making many errors

Andrew Green – third year in the system, responsible for about half of all TDs caught against NU

Lance Thorell – four years in the system, making many errors

This is just a quick run-through of the secondary. Go through the D Line, go through the linebackers, it's the same thing. Bo has been here too long for the former regime to be at fault. These are his guys, his schemes, his coaches. You cannot blame this on Raymond, you cannot blame this on Els. If they are at fault, Bo is at fault more for bringing them in.

If Bo is holding these guys to some benchmark that they have not earned, then he has not given them the tools to earn it, and withholding the Blackshirts is a completely BS motivational tool. It all rests on Bo. If the players aren't good enough, then he failed somewhere, not them.

This. The best defensive players we've had since Bo's been here were brought in before he got here with the exception of David and he was a JuCo player. It would be one thing if these guys were getting beat because they're athletically inferior to the teams we play. However, I do not see this as being the case. They just are never where they need to be.

What about Dennard, Cam Meredeth, and Gomes? We've pulled in quite a few good defensive players in the past 3 years. Now, if your statement is true in a couple of years, then we are boned. But I don't think that will happen. We've got a lot of young talent on our roster. Guys who will step up in the next year or two.

As for your point about being out of place on D this year, yes. Sadly, yes.

I can't agree that giving them to them now is okay. They haven't earned it, they haven't completely shut a team down this season. I'm sick and tired of hearing about the "blackshirt" defense from the national pundits and then watching that same "blackshirt" defense get eaten alive on national television. Until they start playing aggressively, shutting offenses down, and walking around with a swagger that just makes you sick, they don't deserve those blackshirts. They need to have that, "I'm going to kill you for stepping on the field with me and then take your sister out to dinner" attitude or they don't deserve them. JMO

But that whole "I'm going to kill you for stepping on the field" attitude isn't Bo's defensive philosophy. We are never going to see those Charlie McBride attacking defenses that we all know as the Blackshirts under Bo, unless he gets another superlative phenom like Ndamukong Suh, whose sheer abilities cannot help but be that way.

Bo's philosophy is bend-but-don't break. He wants to force the opponent to grind out long drives, to make their own play beat them. Bo's defenses don't dictate to their opponent, they're a read-and-react style of defense. That's what makes it so much harder to figure out what the benchmark is - they're always going to give up yards, and they're always going to give up points to high-powered offenses. It's just part of the style Bo runs. So if he's waiting for them to shut a team down.... he needs to switch what they do.

That's true knapplc since he's been our HC but his 2003 blackshirts, while not Charlie's vicious dogs attacked a LOT. Super D was a heat seeking missile that blitzed all year long and created havoc everywhere.

That's my hope anyways.....Bo "does" know attacking on defense. Why he's ditched it I don't have a clue but with Suh and our great secondary gone I'm hoping he'll reconsider.

GBR!!

But that whole "I'm going to kill you for stepping on the field" attitude isn't Bo's defensive philosophy. We are never going to see those Charlie McBride attacking defenses that we all know as the Blackshirts under Bo, unless he gets another superlative phenom like Ndamukong Suh, whose sheer abilities cannot help but be that way. Bo's philosophy is bend-but-don't break. He wants to force the opponent to grind out long drives, to make their own play beat them. Bo's defenses don't dictate to their opponent, they're a read-and-react style of defense. That's what makes it so much harder to figure out what the benchmark is - they're always going to give up yards, and they're always going to give up points to high-powered offenses. It's just part of the style Bo runs. So if he's waiting for them to shut a team down.... he needs to switch what they do.

This is why I have a very hard time calling Bo's defenses black shirts. Bo's defenses to me are designed to do just enough to not lose the game, while trying to wear down the opponents offense. To me thats not blackshirt mentality as that is nothing to be feared nor is it intimidating.

You give out the Blackshirts when that defense takes the field, you throw the bones, and get shivers up your back because you know what kind of force they are. Not when you throw the bones and get sick to your stomach wondering how many yards the other team will gain per snap.

IMO

Could all of you passing Blackshirts experts please upload videos of yourselves demonstrating the perfect footwork and throwing motion required to hit our WR's right in the hands, just to have them drop it defensive techniques?

Thanks in advance

See what I did there?

Why do you say people can't complain about the quarterback unless they can throw a perfect pass, but then you complain about the defense? It's a message board. People get to talk about the quarterback without being able to play the position. Right?