Barney Cotton to help Beck coach from the booth, not the sidelines

knapplc

Sam with several notes after today's practice. Click the link to read them all.

LINK

*Beck will call plays from the press box. Joining him there will be offensive line coach Barney Cotton, who had previously spent his last few seasons on the field.

“I think it’s a change for him,” Beck said.

Presumably that puts the offensive line coach, John Garrison, on the field. Wide receivers coach Rich Fisher and running backs coach Ron Brown will be down on the field, as well.

*The new OC chuckled a little bit at quarterback Taylor Martinez’s comment Monday that, in NU’s offense, “pretty much every decision is based on me.”

“He likes to think he has all the decisions,” Beck said, smiling. “We work together. Taylor and I almost have to have – scary thought – the same brain. We have to be thinking a lot alike. And we do. He’s a sharp young guy when it comes to the game of football. He can get it. However we need to help the quarterback or the team, we can do it.”

Beck’s key message to Martinez before the game?

“Don’t force things,” Beck said. “Don’t feel he has to go out and play at a certain level. Just run the offense and everybody will get what they need to get. He doesn’t need to force runs, throws or decisions.”

I am very much liking what I'm hearing about Garrison being the guy on the field. I have wondered for a long time if the players had respect for Cotton, and if they responded to direction on the field from him. Perhaps his forte is to view from above, and make adjustments from the booth?

Maybe this is a result of Barney's feelings being hurt because Bo's always screaming at him. At least up there Bo can't poke him. :)

Oh, and if Beck and Taylor have the same brain...well, let's hope it's a huge positive this year.

I think this is writing on the wall. Barney is to bring along Garrison or Stai or both, and then sail off into the sunset.

Maybe this is a result of Barney's feelings being hurt because Bo's always screaming at him. At least up there Bo can't poke him. :)

Oh, and if Beck and Taylor have the same brain...well, let's hope it's a huge positive this year.

I think this is writing on the wall. Barney is to bring along Garrison or Stai or both, and then sail off into the sunset.

Do you think he might be up there to help Beck with play calling? Just wondering if maybe Bo wants someone else up there to bounce ideas off of---NOT saying I would welcome this, but it's a thought other than get the hell off my bench, Barney. With all of Barney's family on scholarship, do you think we'd can him?

I don't. I see it as a new play caller having someone with experience with him in the booth.

You could be right. I regret writing that line about "respect" because I have zero idea if the players do or don't respect Barney. I wasn't even thinking about what I wrote, and that was dumb.

I feel very confident that after the season he will be "promoted to a fan of the football team at NU." If you will.