Barney Cotton to help Beck coach from the booth, not the sidelines

knapplc

bshirt, this may come as a shock to you, but Barney has been the Associate Head Coach/Offensive Line since he returned in 2008. He walked in the door with far more control than you're allowing for. It has been well-documented that we have bent over backwards to work with Barney and get him on the same page as everyone else, but he hasn't played ball - the fiasco with Milt Tenopir last year being the most notable instance. Barney isn't doing everything he can to make things work. He's obstinately staying his own course, and that is not going to fly here.

EZ-E has speculated that Barney is on his way out the door by way of the booth. It will not surprise me in the least if that happens. In fact, I rather expected it last February when Watson and Gilmore were moved on.

Again, that's where Uncle Milt used to be too. I don't buy it.

I also don't buy the huge "fiasco" rumors with Uncle Milt. I wouldn't be surprised one iota if it was massively overblown (so hard to believe from an internet rumor....I know).

This year will tell us enough.

GBR!!

Whatever might or might not be happening with the later part of Barney's career, my position on him is this: I want him to succeed. Desperately. Completely. I want a Cotton line to go out there and dominate, and for him to sign a ten year extension and produce another Pipeline every single year.

It wasn't very likely that was going to happen when he was hired. It's only slightly more likely now that he has some help along the line. I know a lot of people have gripes against Cotton and not without reason. And if he continues to blow it, Bo won't have much of a choice. Once you make an offensive transition like Bo did, you can't continue to pawn off failings on your assistants. Bo has his guys in his scheme. If things start to go wrong he better intervene quick, because it's the Bo Pelini show from here on.

• Fire 2

Whatever might or might not be happening with the later part of Barney's career, my position on him is this: I want him to succeed. Desperately. Completely. I want a Cotton line to go out there and dominate, and for him to sign a ten year extension and produce another Pipeline every single year.

It wasn't very likely that was going to happen when he was hired. It's only slightly more likely now that he has some help along the line. I know a lot of people have gripes against Cotton and not without reason. And if he continues to blow it, Bo won't have much of a choice. Once you make an offensive transition like Bo did, you can't continue to pawn off failings on your assistants. Bo has his guys in his scheme. If things start to go wrong he better intervene quick, because it's the Bo Pelini show from here on.

This is a good point. I, too, want Barney to succeed and to exceed the Pipeline years if possible. We all want a fantastic O Line. It's not about Barney, it's about the results. I don't care whose name sits next to the "Offensive Line Coach" title as long as it's a prospering unit. If it fails, it's time to make a change no matter whose name it is we're changing.

The one time I spoke to Coach Gilmore I found him to be very open, engaging, pleasant - a lot more approachable than Bo, for example. I wanted Gilmore gone not because of Gilmore, but because our WRs couldn't catch the ball (or hold onto it as they ran down the field untouched).

This is a good point. I, too, want Barney to succeed and to exceed the Pipeline years if possible. We all want a fantastic O Line. It's not about Barney, it's about the results. I don't care whose name sits next to the "Offensive Line Coach" title as long as it's a prospering unit. If it fails, it's time to make a change no matter whose name it is we're changing.

The one time I spoke to Coach Gilmore I found him to be very open, engaging, pleasant - a lot more approachable than Bo, for example. I wanted Gilmore gone not because of Gilmore, but because our WRs couldn't catch the ball (or hold onto it as they ran down the field untouched).

Barney has been accomodated with a number of quality OL commits in the last three classes. If he can't get it done over the next 4 or so years then it may be time to move on. Having said that, I like the combination of Barney and Garrison, and am looking forward to a productive year from the OL. :bigredn:

Word!

I think this is writing on the wall. Barney is to bring along Garrison or Stai or both, and then sail off into the sunset.

I don't. I see it as a new play caller having someone with experience with him in the booth.

You could be right. I regret writing that line about "respect" because I have zero idea if the players do or don't respect Barney. I wasn't even thinking about what I wrote, and that was dumb.

I'll start the thread titled "knapplc said something dumb". Original, eh?

You could start one of those a day. I'm not as eloquent as I want to be much of the time.

eeeeh. You can say that again.... :)

Oh and the only really disturbing thing for me was the false starts and holding penalties. This has to be fixed. I still remember Bo's personal foul late in the A&M game and watching our oline just maul their defense on that next series. The potential is there...

I think this is a great decision. Coach Cotton can determine line splits and what the D is trying to do easier from the booth then down on the field. He is a big picture guy with OC experience. He and new OC Beck should be a good team. It makes perfect sense that Cotton and Garrison are split up. Garrison can do the on the field adjustments as identified from the booth. I like coach Brown on the field as the head offensive guy. He is a good motivator and has lots of experience at various spots. I think this is a good move.

Bo has shown in this last offseason that he isn't afraid to ditch coaching personnel in areas that he feels aren't up to par. That is the good news, and makes me think that if this year's OL lets the whole team down, Barney is outta here. May be wishful thinking, but its possible.

I think this is writing on the wall. Barney is to bring along Garrison or Stai or both, and then sail off into the sunset.

I don't. I see it as a new play caller having someone with experience with him in the booth.

if Cotton is going to get involved in play calling, Beck is screwed!

No this means we will have the same pathetic offense that we had under Frank and he ran at ISU. This is terrible news if he is actually going to have anything to do with the play calling. He needs to just go away, he sucks and this will be Bo's toughest challenge. Can he fire a friend for the betterment of the team? It was a huge part in Callahan's failure with Cozgrove, I hope Bo has the ball to do what Bill didn't.