Does NU need a championship to...

The passion is here, no doubt. As I recall in my younger days the stadium was ELECTRIC for every game. The tunnel walk was deafoning. During the national title years it seemed like every fan was more participatory, even the blue hairs. Do we need a championship to relight the fire under everyones butts? What do you think? Am I off kilter here?

YES. Because absolutely no one I know is looking forward to this season.

Sarcasm. Maybe. No seriously sarcasm.

NC would be nice, definitely don't think we need it, every year I look forward to the season more and more.

I used to be that way to In The Deed The Glory. Then I realized how truly lucky you have to be to win a National Championship. How many breaks have to go your way. How spoiled we were as Husker fans back in the 90's. I probably cheer harder and louder than most. I probably act as foolish as anyone when we lose. I seriously get emotionally invested in this team. This last comment above was the part of me that tries to temper that. Every bit of me wants us to win them all. My head tells me there is so much to overcome right now that I won't be surprised a bit if we have some hiccups. We all know the tasks we face. Let's hope we get it done. If not though, I hope we look classy and respectable in everything we do. Even the most intimidating teams of the 90's had some stumbles. They usually happened in some big games, but they never lost that attitude. I won't lose it either, but I respect the fact that it is very tough to be as dominating as some of those teams were.

I feel nearly exactly the same way, well said sir. I think I just read too much into your post.

I want to go on record that I never said we won't be bowl eligible. I think nine wins is absolutely a reasonable expectation this year. But if I'm not mistaken we play more than nine games this year? So as I said, we may trip over an opponent or two. We quickly forgot the most hyped Red Out Around the World game where there was no way Texas was gonna come into our house! and beat our ass! Texas came to our house! and beat our Ass! We then watched Texas AnM make our offensive line look like they were wearing pink skirts. They shoved us around like little girls. Then we go to Oklahoma and blow a 17 point lead in a game we knew was the last chance we had at a parting shot in the face of the biggest douche on the planet named Dan Beebe. We all know the entire team knew that there was a lot more than a football game in that Big 12 Championship. Between that Oklahoma game and the Texas game, Nebraska hasn't had bigger games than that in the last ten years! We lost them. So forgive me if I say nine wins is going to be fine by me.

If we only get 9 wins then the season is a failure since we will have regressed from our last two years.

I want to go on record that I never said we won't be bowl eligible. I think nine wins is absolutely a reasonable expectation this year. But if I'm not mistaken we play more than nine games this year? So as I said, we may trip over an opponent or two. We quickly forgot the most hyped Red Out Around the World game where there was no way Texas was gonna come into our house! and beat our ass! Texas came to our house! and beat our Ass! We then watched Texas AnM make our offensive line look like they were wearing pink skirts. They shoved us around like little girls. Then we go to Oklahoma and blow a 17 point lead in a game we knew was the last chance we had at a parting shot in the face of the biggest douche on the planet named Dan Beebe. We all know the entire team knew that there was a lot more than a football game in that Big 12 Championship. Between that Oklahoma game and the Texas game, Nebraska hasn't had bigger games than that in the last ten years! We lost them. So forgive me if I say nine wins is going to be fine by me.

If we only get 9 wins then the season is a failure since we will have regressed from our last two years.

We can still be a better team with a lesser record. Are we going to debate that this year's schedule is tougher than our Big 12 schedule. Of course it is. We don't have KSU, Kansas, Missouri, or Iowa State anymore. 10 wins in the Big 12 is good, but I think it's a lot tougher to get ten wins in the Big Ten. We may regress a bit as far as number of wins, but quality of this team will go up in my opinion. Our first major improvement is saying Bye Bye to the Watson sham of an offense. This offense will blow that out of the water. But it is only the first year trying to execute this offense.

We can still be a better team with a lesser record. Are we going to debate that this year's schedule is tougher than our Big 12 schedule. Of course it is. We don't have KSU, Kansas, Missouri, or Iowa State anymore. 10 wins in the Big 12 is good, but I think it's a lot tougher to get ten wins in the Big Ten. We may regress a bit as far as number of wins, but quality of this team will go up in my opinion. Our first major improvement is saying Bye Bye to the Watson sham of an offense. This offense will blow that out of the water. But it is only the first year trying to execute this offense.

The 4 OOC games, NW, Minny, UM, PSU and Iowa should all be wins. That leaves MSU, tOSU, and Wisky as our three toughest games. All we have to do is win one game against the three best teams on our schedule to get to 10. So 10-2 is a very reasonable expecaton. The Big 10 has some big names such as Michigan and Penn State that are not very good right now. So the schedule seems harder, when in reality it isn't.

But the last two years our only contender for a spot in the Big 12 champ game was Missouri. We are in a better division this year, Michigan, MSU, and maybe Iowa could be competing with us for a spot in the Big Ten champ game. We all know how difficult our schedule is and how much prep the coaches and players have to do for a completely different conference opponents. I haven't been drinking the season hype of Nebraska winning the Big Ten champ game let alone going. If we do go, that's great I underestimated our team. But if we don't, I won't look at it like a set back.

Last year I bought into the preseason hype of going to the Big 12 champ game and we barely made it because Missouri turned out to be better than sports analyst thoughts.

Iowa and Michigan suck so MSU is the only team that good enough to take the division from us, at least this year. In a couple of years when Michigan can rebuild their defense, then yes it will be tougher than the North, but as of now, it's about the same.

The problem with this line of thinking is that we are apparently the only team that suffers in a stronger division. Missouri was close to getting into the title game over us because their schedule was as weak as ours (couple tough south games and one tough north). Well now there will be several teams knocking each other off. We could lose to MSU but Iowa and Michigan could knock them off.

Word.

I feel if we make strong pushes toward BCS bowls and eventually get over that hump and make it to one( hopefully in the near future) that fans will always be fired up. A lot of fans are coming back or reshowing their colors because teams are scared to play us now, were not the pushover team like we were when Callahan was here.

The 4 OOC games, NW, Minny, UM, PSU and Iowa should all be wins. That leaves MSU, tOSU, and Wisky as our three toughest games. All we have to do is win one game against the three best teams on our schedule to get to 10. So 10-2 is a very reasonable expecaton. The Big 10 has some big names such as Michigan and Penn State that are not very good right now. So the schedule seems harder, when in reality it isn't.

Just don't be surprised if some of these teams turn out to be better than what you are giving them credit for. I agree we are in a better division, we don't have many automatic wins we can count on. Especially in the first year. I seem to remember most people picking 8 wins for the Huskers this season, them some folks started drinking the preseason kool aid and bought into the Big Ten Champs hype.

Big 10 championship and MNC run or nothing else, Bo is in his 4th season here, there is no excuses at a place like Nebraska that anything under a BIG championship is acceptable, ya weve made it the past few years but we didnt capitalize, i do not want to be a consistent 10 win team and nothing more, look what Saban did at Alabama with how corrupt they were too, i want a championship :w00t

The passion is here, no doubt. As I recall in my younger days the stadium was ELECTRIC for every game. The tunnel walk was deafoning. During the national title years it seemed like every fan was more participatory, even the blue hairs. Do we need a championship to relight the fire under everyones butts? What do you think? Am I off kilter here?

I don't think you're off-kilter at all. Even those who say that the fire's already there have said that people just want to see the team improve. How do we improve from here? By winning a conference championship, then winning a national championship.

What Memorial stadium needs is more 20-30 yr olds & fewer 70-80 yr olds.

So does this mean that when you don’t fall into that category (20-30) you shouldn’t go to the games either? :dunno:madash:blink:

When I was in college which happened to be in the NC run, all students could get student tickets if they desired. I was told this weekend that few freshmen got season student tickets, and some sophomores didn't/weren't alloted season student tickets. It used to be the students came first, but that doesn't appear to be the case any longer. Allowing all students who wanted season tickets would be one way to accomplish the goal of getting more 20 year olds to the games.