Disappointing

LJS

John Papuchis, Nebraska's special-teams coordinator, didn't want to get into specific roles Wednesday in regard to return men for Saturday's season opener.

However, he said, the group will include junior Tim Marlowe, redshirt freshman Kenny Bell, and true freshmen Ameer Abdullah and Aaron Green.

I know, I know. The coaches know what they're doing, we don't see practices, etc, but I was really looking forward to watching Turner return a couple kicks. I like Marlowe, but I hope the first kick return sees two freshmen back there, I wanna see what they got.

LJS

John Papuchis, Nebraska's special-teams coordinator, didn't want to get into specific roles Wednesday in regard to return men for Saturday's season opener.

However, he said, the group will include junior Tim Marlowe, redshirt freshman Kenny Bell, and true freshmen Ameer Abdullah and Aaron Green.

I know, I know. The coaches know what they're doing, we don't see practices, etc, but I was really looking forward to watching Turner return a couple kicks. I like Marlowe, but I hope the first kick return sees two freshmen back there, I wanna see what they got.

One thing to also consider is that Marlowe has a lot of experience on special teams returns, given he was back returning several kick offs last year. Turner is probably fitting into things differently at this point.

Seeing how he was taking snaps at QB after Bubba committed to the Royals and Broekemeier's ACL tear, they probably don't what to overload a true freshman like him with three jobs on the team. Especially when there is other talent on the team.

He's not taking snaps anymore, though. Bo named 5 guys and never said a thing about Turner, and players have said he's done taking QB reps. I know they'll be fine without him back there, but I was really looking forward to watching HIM. I would guess before the years over he gets a crack at it, but maybe not.

I think it's because Turner is more valuable of an asset than Bo lets on. Same reason Bo never had Prince on returns. He could have been special, but you can get seriously messed up on KO and punt returns.Worst comes to worst, he probably comes in third as a QB in Beck's offense. Marlowe has the experience, and Bell and the 3 freshman seem to have the speed and explosiveness. No need to put Turner in "danger" when he has 2 other positions he might be a big factor in this year.

• Fire 1

I think it's because Turner is more valuable of an asset than Bo lets on. Same reason Bo never had Prince on returns. He could have been special, but you can get seriously messed up on KO and punt returns.Worst comes to worst, he probably comes in third as a QB in Beck's offense. Marlowe has the experience, and Bell and the 3 freshman seem to have the speed and explosiveness. No need to put Turner in "danger" when he has 2 other positions he might be a big factor in this year.

This

Seeing how he was taking snaps at QB after Bubba committed to the Royals and Broekemeier's ACL tear, they probably don't what to overload a true freshman like him with three jobs on the team. Especially when there is other talent on the team.

He's not taking snaps anymore, though. Bo named 5 guys and never said a thing about Turner, and players have said he's done taking QB reps. I know they'll be fine without him back there, but I was really looking forward to watching HIM. I would guess before the years over he gets a crack at it, but maybe not.

I don't believe you ever heard the coaches say he wasn't playing Qb anymore. They said he was concentrating on receiver. If they said he wasn't getting any snaps that would be incorrect. It would also be incorrect to say other people haven't taken QB snaps either because parts of our packages have Rex, Bell, Turner etc taking snaps.

And I'm not sure about JP's quote. Turner wasn't in the top guys listed for kick return, but Turner and Abdullah were listed as the top PRs going into the week. Something would have had to change on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Beck also indicated that they would probably show more of their offense in the first few games now than originally thought which is a slight change in philosophy from what they planned at the beginning of fall camp. They want to see what different guys can do and it sounds like we might see a lot of different guys before B10 play. I would guess the first 3 games will be pretty fluid personnel wise on both sides if the game allows.

Personally I like the idea of them actually using the offense early so the guys feel confident in it.

Something interesting about the running backs... Ameer Abdullah has been taking snaps with Brion Carnes and the number 2 offense. At this point I feel he may be behind Aaron Green and Braylon Heard as I have seen both taking snaps with the number 1 offense. It is also interesting to note, I am pretty sure the starters for this weekend were announced to the team yesterday... and after practice Ameer sent out several tweets saying "It's only a matter of time before my chance will come" and "I love my dad I can always vent to him when I need to". I have some reasons to believe that Ameer may be in the back of the RB line to get snaps there this year. You would think if that's the case a red shirt would be in the works for Ameer... especially since he's 5'9" 180 and some other D1 guys out there that height are 200-210lbs (see Auburn's Michael Dyer). He could use a year off the field to put on some weight. Then again, he is listed as one of the top 4 guys on the KO return team so maybe the coaches want to get him on the field this year for some experience. But I think you will see Rex, AJ, and then Heard & Green in that order this year on the field.

• Fire 2

I don't know if value has more to do with it than perhaps work load. C.J. Spiller was an extremely valuable asset to Clemson and he still returned kicks his senior year. But Turner worked at WR in the spring and possibly both that and QB this fall. Throw in the fact that he's a freshman and I think you have a guy that's already being asked to know a lot. Furthermore, perhaps they don't want to risk injury to another body at quarterback any more than they have to.

• Fire 1

I would just about guarantee that we'll see Turner return a punt in the first half Saturday. I have no idea if he'll be the first guy out there, but if we put two PR back, he'll be one of them.

KR is a different animal and Turner isn't really big enough to go out there and take that pounding. The guys who typically go back to return kickoffs are larger, bulkier guys, or guys like Rex who are used to taking a pounding.

Something interesting about the running backs... Ameer Abdullah has been taking snaps with Brion Carnes and the number 2 offense. At this point I feel he may be behind Aaron Green and Braylon Heard as I have seen both taking snaps with the number 1 offense. It is also interesting to note, I am pretty sure the starters for this weekend were announced to the team yesterday... and after practice Ameer sent out several tweets saying "It's only a matter of time before my chance will come" and "I love my dad I can always vent to him when I need to". I have some reasons to believe that Ameer may be in the back of the RB line to get snaps there this year. You would think if that's the case a red shirt would be in the works for Ameer... especially since he's 5'9" 180 and some other D1 guys out there that height are 200-210lbs (see Auburn's Michael Dyer). He could use a year off the field to put on some weight. Then again, he is listed as one of the top 4 guys on the KO return team so maybe the coaches want to get him on the field this year for some experience. But I think you will see Rex, AJ, and then Heard & Green in that order this year on the field.

A little bit depends on the game plan and which packages they are running as to if Green or Ameer are featured. I personally would like to see both Green and Ameer redshirt but thats not going to happen. Both will probably play Saturday.