Zone Read Against Wisconsin

I'm not drawing any conclusions, but it is clearly visible that Wisconsin is having troubles with this offense. Make no mistake though, UNLV has some athletes on their team. When their running back has space to turn it on, it doesn't take him long to cover 10 yards. If UNLV would get out of their own way they maybe have a couple touchdowns on the board. Their defense isn't looking too good, but I think Wisconsin will make a lot of teams look like that.

Easy folks, I said in the OP that granted, it's only week one. I'm just making an observation. I'm not saying we're gonna slash em and gash em just yet...I'll wait until they play a better team and watch em on a week to week basis before I make that claim. I'm just saying that they don't seem to have a whole lot speed on their front 7.

I doubt that Nebraska will run as much zone read this year... And I HIGHLY doubt they'll use the pistol.

I would bet against you on both counts. I think we'll see some pistol.

Hmmm, after doing some research, I suppose you may be on to something... I didn't realize that they used some pistol formations in the spring game (didn't watch it). Well good... I like the pistol.

Forgiveness, please.

They haven't even played 30 mins of football yet. Hold the phone people. We haven't even played either. Wisky will be plenty tough.

Correct, BUT it only takes about 5 seconds to see speed. And when you have 20 different 5-second increment in which you see Wisconsin getting BURNED by UNLV, you can go ahead and start talking about it. No one has said NU will blow them out. Just observing that Wiscy is not showing any speed on the edge right now.

Then I'll be the first. I see a lot of Badger games, and I'm going to say that on Oct 1 they will get embarrassed in their own house. There, someone that even lives in Wisconsin said it.

The defense does look sketchy but I have seen others claim bend don't break so we shall see, they have kept points off the board but I saw some missed field goals early one preceded by a missed pass interference call. They are good and I think we will nit pick the huskers the same way come this weekend, it is all you can do when the opponent is weak.

I doubt that Nebraska will run as much zone read this year... And I HIGHLY doubt they'll use the pistol.

I would bet against you on both counts. I think we'll see some pistol.

Hmmm, after doing some research, I suppose you may be on to something... I didn't realize that they used some pistol formations in the spring game (didn't watch it). Well good... I like the pistol.

Forgiveness, please.

I just have a feeling that the zone read will still be a big part of the offense and the pistol will be used at least some of the time. We'll find out soon enough!

A few things I've noticed about Wisconsin tonight:

1) Their run game looks scary good. Granted, UNLV is not very good defensively, but they're going to be a tough team to stop on the ground this year.

2) Wilson looks and has played the part, however he has missed some wide open throws tonight. He'll shore up some of that, but that bodes well for us. Any quarterback that throws the ball like he has been, against our defense, is going to get picked at least once.

3) He looks very mobile and has a lot of speed. He had a great third quarter scamper for a touchdown, however I believe against Nebraska's defense he probably wouldn't have gotten more than a first down.

4) Wisky looks very vulnerable defensively. They've given up a lot of yards on the ground and their pass coverage hasn't been great. That said, UCLA made Texas' run defense look bad last year, and we still couldn't score an offensive touchdown against Texas. Furthermore, our pass offense hasn't exactly been superb on a consistent basis.

Can't wait for Saturday.

People who form one game opinions about a team drive me nuts. Seriously. It was like last fall when Taylor was running all swiss cheese through the little sisters of the poor defenses that he gashed. Let's see how much some of these opinions change in a month. My bet is a lot.

I don't know about anyone else, but in no way am I saying after watching one half we can assume Wisconsin will be a .500 team. They're up 37-3 at half and their offense looks unstoppable. However, it is undeniable that they are lacking speed on the edge of the defense. If you wanted one thing in an opposing defense, a lack of speed would be pretty high on the wish list for NU. I find that exciting.

I don't think they will be bad but you have to ignore the score and look at the plays. UNLV was HORRIBLE last year and they went 2-10 overall.

UNLV was 116th in the nation in rush defense last season and has 5 new starters in their front seven. They were the 2nd worst overall defense in the MWC last year. They played 13 games and gave up 30 points in 11 of them and they are getting a push off the edge on the Badgers. Yes they are getting killed but they aren't good.

Conversely UNLV's Offense last year was also horrible. They scored more than 21 points a total of two times last year (at home vs. Wyoming and New Mexico) and was held below 20 points by Utah, Idaho, West Virginia, Colorado State, TCU, BYU, Air Force and San Diego State. Including losing 30-7 to Idaho.

The fact that Wisconsin's D was sucking wind by halftime and was getting beat off the edge is a very good sign for Nebraska.

A few things I've noticed about Wisconsin tonight:

1) Their run game looks scary good. Granted, UNLV is not very good defensively, but they're going to be a tough team to stop on the ground this year.

2) Wilson looks and has played the part, however he has missed some wide open throws tonight. He'll shore up some of that, but that bodes well for us. Any quarterback that throws the ball like he has been, against our defense, is going to get picked at least once.

3) He looks very mobile and has a lot of speed. He had a great third quarter scamper for a touchdown, however I believe against Nebraska's defense he probably wouldn't have gotten more than a first down.

4) Wisky looks very vulnerable defensively. They've given up a lot of yards on the ground and their pass coverage hasn't been great. That said, UCLA made Texas' run defense look bad last year, and we still couldn't score an offensive touchdown against Texas. Furthermore, our pass offense hasn't exactly been superb on a consistent basis.

Can't wait for Saturday.

Ditto ..........