What did we learn???

walksalone

What did we learn???

We learned that there are fans who will never, ever be satisfied, no matter what.

It was the first game of the season with a new offense, new OC, new WR coach, new LB coach, new secondary coach, new assistant coach(es) on the O Line, and things were ragged.

Despite this, apparently there are a LOT of people who expected this game to go tremendously smoothly, and who are overwrought that it didn't.

It was a first game. There are things to work on. There were problems. The fact that this is the case is not the end of the world, or the end of any title run, or any indication of anything, other than that it was our first game.

Apparently a 33-point win just isn't what it used to be.

Some have learned this 20 years ago. Some just learned this...yesterday?

I learned our D-Line could be something special. I re-learned that young offensive lines in college can have ...issues. I knew this, but was drunk on Kool-Aid and apparantly forgot, because I kept hearing about "the depth of the O-Line... blah blah blah." Freshman offensive linemen are still freshmen offensive linemen, regardless of perceived potential by whomever. Sophmores are still young, too. Not much to be done except witness some growing pains this year, while the staff accellerates the learning and strength curves to the best of their ability. :bigredn:

i learned out kicking game was still excellent...i also learned we will be needing a kicking game again.

What did I learn yesterday? Hmmmmm......

There are a lot of overweight fans that need to lose weight to allow more room to move and sit comfortably. Nothing like looking down my row and seeing 3 overweight guys basically taking up 2 seats because they have a big rear end.

Everyone sit down, because I'm going to shock the world - I agree with every word Macroboy wrote in his last three posts. :D

Great analysis in post one especially, Macro. That's exactly how I feel about this game. High ceiling, Martinez got better, too early to diagnose the O Line, etc etc etc.

+1s for every post. Keep up the good work. ;)

That has to be a first. I'm a little misty eyed over here...... :cheers

I am willing to bet that Martinez is not our QB at the end the year. I know Carnes looked like the true Freshman he is, but TMart's passing is never going to get any better.

The board is full of bizarre opinions right now but this is one of the most bizarre.

19 carries for 135 and 3 TD's.

11/22 passing for 116 on a day that many receivers dropped catchable balls. Not perfectly thrown balls but catchable balls. I thought in the 1st quarter he looked much like last year- 1st read and run. Once he settled in that stopped.

He's still got a ways to go but he is already very different from last year. Even in sideline demeanor. Last year he pissed down his leg in a bunch of games. This year we will have to see but the only way he isn't our QB is if he gets hurt.

So, I guess you will take my bet?

Our offense, like every offense, needs a leader. I do not feel that Tmart will develope the leader qualities necessary and outside of his blazing fast speed, he has nothing to offer other then there is no one better. I think as the year goes on, a better leader will develop. I do not know if it will be Carnes, but I am willing to wager that it is not TM. I am not looking at polish, I am looking at potential.

I take this bet every day of the week and twice on Saturday.

i guess i'm the only one that thought martinez passing wasn't so bad. Was really disappointed with our blocking and our O-line in general. we shouldn't get stuffed at the LOS or behind against any FCS team but whatever, hard to say how things will look next week.

He definately had some nice passes. He also had some not so nice passes. His WRs could have done more to help him. I understand that not all the passes were perfect, but if it hits your hands, you have to catch it. BK is usually sure-handed, but he looked like the second coming of Niles Paul out there today. He'll bounce back.

Taylor did not look good by any meaning of the word. Ya he was fast but that was alll he going for him. his passing mechanics are quite possibhly the worst in the conference. Sure bk looked like the second coming of niles paul, but who wouldnt look bad when u had lame duck passes coming at you all day.

Yeah.........because Carnes looked so much better when he was in there?! <_< Seeing the things Carnes did made me appreciate Martinez a little more. He may not be the best QB in the league, but he's the fastest and has a skill set that can help us win games. I saw nothing, but confusion from Carnes and it scared the hell out of me.

I saw nothing, but confusion from Carnes and it scared the hell out of me.

I don't think there's a lot of reason to worry. I was able to "sneak" into watching three different practices during Camp, and both Taylor and Brion ran the offense far better than they showed yesterday, and that was against our top defense. Caveat, caveat, caveat, sure, but they will be OK. Really.

I don't think there's a lot of reason to worry. I was able to "sneak" into watching three different practices during Camp, and both Taylor and Brion ran the offense far better than they showed yesterday, and that was against our top defense. Caveat, caveat, caveat, sure, but they will be OK. Really.

Yeah and Brion looked real good running out onto the field when his number was called.

I think his biggest problem was just calming the butterfly's that had to be raging in his stomach. His first official playing time, in a live game in front of 85K plus rabid fans...the kid had to be a little nervous. I would much rather him screw up a few plays with a comfortable lead on home turf against a lesser opponent instead of against a conference opponent with the game on the line in a hostile stadium.

Yeah and Brion looked real good running out onto the field when his number was called.

I think his biggest problem was just calming the butterfly's that had to be raging in his stomach. His first official playing time, in a live game in front of 85K plus rabid fans...the kid had to be a little nervous. I would much rather him screw up a few plays with a comfortable lead on home turf against a lesser opponent instead of against a conference opponent with the game on the line in a hostile stadium.

Oh and I totally agree that he needed to get some reps. I actually said, "thank god" when he hit the field due to our depth and experience at QB. However, fear quickly took over once I watched him in a gametime situation. It was pretty ugly, but I'll give the kid the benefit of the doubt with the nerves. I'd probably **** my pants in front of that crowd! Look how hard it is to please us on huskerboard.

Oh and I totally agree that he needed to get some reps. I actually said, "thank god" when he hit the field due to our depth and experience at QB. However, fear quickly took over once I watched him in a gametime situation. It was pretty ugly, but I'll give the kid the benefit of the doubt with the nerves. I'd probably **** my pants in front of that crowd! Look how hard it is to please us on huskerboard.

If there were a Huskerboard section in Memorial Stadium, not only would we be kicked out for the utter meltdown and in-fighting during each game, but Cotton would be tarred and feathered, Carnes run out of town, and Kinnie's hands glued together. And there would be some serious bromance going on with Camstache