B1G Expansion

The Maudfather

Maudfather--I think the B1G is content with 12 unless their hand is forced. And frankly, there's no reason to rush--the schools that appeal to the B1G are not the schools that are possible B1G expansion candidates aren't going anywhere yet.

Plus, it would be better for the B1G to let another conference take on the headaches that come from a 16-team conference while Delaney, et al sit back, watch, and learn from their mistakes.

Maudfather--I think the B1G is content with 12 unless their hand is forced. And frankly, there's no reason to rush--the schools that appeal to the B1G are not the schools that are possible B1G expansion candidates aren't going anywhere yet.

Plus, it would be better for the B1G to let another conference take on the headaches that come from a 16-team conference while Delaney, et al sit back, watch, and learn from their mistakes.

This.

I don't think that the B1G is looking to expand right now, even if they have plenty of options. I'd rather keep it at 12 teams. I'd like to think that Nebraska getting accepted into the Big Ten is an honor, but it won't be much of an honor if they scoop a few teams out of the ashes of the Big XII just to keep up with the soon-to-be super-conferences.

This.

I don't think that the B1G is looking to expand right now, even if they have plenty of options. I'd rather keep it at 12 teams. I'd like to think that Nebraska getting accepted into the Big Ten is an honor, but it won't be much of an honor if they scoop a few teams out of the ashes of the Big XII just to keep up with the soon-to-be super-conferences.

Great point. The pac12 seems like a desperate conference with their recent additions. Nobody is second guessing the B1G's pickup of Nebraska.

Just a rumor:

"from the Big Ten "deep throat" (who knows if fact or fiction):

Earlier this evening, Notre Dame and Texas jointly presented the Big Ten Conference with their proposed terms of entry into the conference. These terms resulted from lengthy discussions among both schools and the Big Ten over the past several months.

The major items include:

1. The preservation of an eight game (plus championship) conference football schedule. Both ND and Texas wish to preserve rivalries with non-Big Ten universities on a regular basis. This would require the Big Ten to abandon its current plans of a 9 game conference schedule.

2. The staggering of the schedule to allow for mid-season scheduling with non-conference football opponents.

3. The preservation of the status quo conference makeup until approximately 2014, unless the Big XII fails to retain key (NOT including A&M) conference members. This will provide the member schools, acting in unison, with the greatest leverage negotiating ongoing television contracts, particularly with ESPN.

4. Should Texas depart the conference for the Big Ten before ND due to the further disintegration of the Big XII, ND will remain independent until approximately 2014

5. The Longhorn Network would remain independent until approximately 2014, at which point the network would become a part of an expanded Big Ten Network (specifically referred to as "BTN2"), likely either in partnership with Fox, NBC, or less likely ABC

The Big Ten just wrapped up a meeting to initially consider all of the terms presented by the schools, including the aforementioned.

Notably, there is a general discontent with the reporting of the situation by ESPN with specific regard to Texas. ESPN has, for self-serving purposes, drastically exaggerated the lean of Texas to the Pac12 conference in nearly all commentary. ESPN has essentially waged a propaganda campaign to drive support among the Texas stakeholders to the Pac12 conference. ESPN has gone so far as to attempt to accelerate the disintegration of the Big XII to pressure Texas into making an immediate conference change decision. Texas has steadfastly resisted change, and will do so until the appropriate time occurs for Texas to stand in a strong position to renegotiate television contracts, including with ESPN.

In reality, the preference expressed by Texas' relevant leadership is to depart the Big XII for the Big Ten at the time that gives Texas the greatest leverage in negotiating a new television rights deal. The Big Ten and Texas agreed that Texas should do what is best for Texas, which they also both agree is a move by Texas to join the Big Ten Conference. Delaney's top priority has been to create an environment for Texas and Notre Dame to join the conference on mutually benefical terms.

Notre Dame has an interest in preserving its traditional rivalries, three of which occur already in the Big Ten, and creating a new national rivalry with a traditional powerhouse. The Big Ten believes that ND prefers independence, but realizes that it will soon have no choice but to join a conference. The Big Ten also believes that ND is trying to position itself so that if it must join a conference, it does so on the most favorable terms possible. Hence the return to the 8 game schedule and a protected game with national power Texas. The Big Ten will attempt to create a mutually beneficial environment for ND that allows it to preserve a great deal of independence to retain all its traditional rivalries within the conference context.

The initial mood at the Big Ten to the terms provided by the two schools is "receptive."

I do not want to see Texas in the B1G.

Adding Neb gave the 10 a heavy-hitter and enough teams to make big bank with a CCG. There is no point in being hasty, just adds eaters for same size pie. Need to be selective and patient, go for those that will make the pie significantly bigger while still fitting the culture of the con.

Kansas would be an "eater", as you called it, for football, but they would make up for it in basketball, especially extending the window of high ad revenue (read: live events of significance) for the Big 10 Network out by three months or so.

Just a rumor:

"from the Big Ten "deep throat" (who knows if fact or fiction):

Earlier this evening, Notre Dame and Texas jointly presented the Big Ten Conference with their proposed terms of entry into the conference. These terms resulted from lengthy discussions among both schools and the Big Ten over the past several months.

The major items include:

1. The preservation of an eight game (plus championship) conference football schedule. Both ND and Texas wish to preserve rivalries with non-Big Ten universities on a regular basis. This would require the Big Ten to abandon its current plans of a 9 game conference schedule.

2. The staggering of the schedule to allow for mid-season scheduling with non-conference football opponents.

3. The preservation of the status quo conference makeup until approximately 2014, unless the Big XII fails to retain key (NOT including A&M) conference members. This will provide the member schools, acting in unison, with the greatest leverage negotiating ongoing television contracts, particularly with ESPN.

4. Should Texas depart the conference for the Big Ten before ND due to the further disintegration of the Big XII, ND will remain independent until approximately 2014

5. The Longhorn Network would remain independent until approximately 2014, at which point the network would become a part of an expanded Big Ten Network (specifically referred to as "BTN2"), likely either in partnership with Fox, NBC, or less likely ABC

The Big Ten just wrapped up a meeting to initially consider all of the terms presented by the schools, including the aforementioned.

Notably, there is a general discontent with the reporting of the situation by ESPN with specific regard to Texas. ESPN has, for self-serving purposes, drastically exaggerated the lean of Texas to the Pac12 conference in nearly all commentary. ESPN has essentially waged a propaganda campaign to drive support among the Texas stakeholders to the Pac12 conference. ESPN has gone so far as to attempt to accelerate the disintegration of the Big XII to pressure Texas into making an immediate conference change decision. Texas has steadfastly resisted change, and will do so until the appropriate time occurs for Texas to stand in a strong position to renegotiate television contracts, including with ESPN.

In reality, the preference expressed by Texas' relevant leadership is to depart the Big XII for the Big Ten at the time that gives Texas the greatest leverage in negotiating a new television rights deal. The Big Ten and Texas agreed that Texas should do what is best for Texas, which they also both agree is a move by Texas to join the Big Ten Conference. Delaney's top priority has been to create an environment for Texas and Notre Dame to join the conference on mutually benefical terms.

Notre Dame has an interest in preserving its traditional rivalries, three of which occur already in the Big Ten, and creating a new national rivalry with a traditional powerhouse. The Big Ten believes that ND prefers independence, but realizes that it will soon have no choice but to join a conference. The Big Ten also believes that ND is trying to position itself so that if it must join a conference, it does so on the most favorable terms possible. Hence the return to the 8 game schedule and a protected game with national power Texas. The Big Ten will attempt to create a mutually beneficial environment for ND that allows it to preserve a great deal of independence to retain all its traditional rivalries within the conference context.

The initial mood at the Big Ten to the terms provided by the two schools is "receptive."

I do not want to see Texas in the B1G.

Yeah, same rumor I'm hearing. I don't think the B1G would let them in on THOSE terms, but certainly bargaining could allow them to get to a point where they might. I don't want to see Texas in this conference either, but if we have to share a conference with them, I could think of no one better to put them in their place as far as equal footing with the rest of the teams then Delaney and the rest of the B1G leadership. Hopefully, it is nothing more than rumor. However, I always take these with a grain of salt BOTH ways, meaning that it's always possible something like this has occurred. How receptive B1G is... that's another story.