The husker O-line troubles run deep

Red Tape

Can someone tell me what kind of offense we run? Are we back to being an option team? Sat's offense looked kind of like a mix. The option/no option offense. I don't know how a young OL could adequately prepare for our schitzo offense.

Maybe we just didn't want to "show" anything last week. If that's the case, we succeeded.

The option/no option offense? Option offenses don't just run the option all the time, they still do other things...

As far as young offensive linemen preparing for it, Beck said that Tyler Moore was the most consistent lineman against Chatanooga.

Can someone tell me what kind of offense we run? Are we back to being an option team? Sat's offense looked kind of like a mix. The option/no option offense. I don't know how a young OL could adequately prepare for our schitzo offense.

Maybe we just didn't want to "show" anything last week. If that's the case, we succeeded.

We run the :bang offense.

Yes, that's the name I was looking for

Yes, that's the name I was looking for

No, I think you had it right when you called it the 'schitzo offense'.

Look, I understand there has been a lack of o-linemen and a recruiting class or two got messed up, but I have never seen any of the o-linemen that are here do anything but underachieve.

It seems to me we have some talented individuals with alot of potential, but no one is doing a good job coaching them. And then there is always an excuse every year as to why the o-line is bad and it's getting really old. The offense can't do anything with subpar blocking.

The biggest reason our oline is having problems this year has nothing to do with switching offense, guys getting hurt, recruiting mistakes, etc. The real reason we'll struggle this year is because we have 3 years of very bad habits we need to (and we're trying) to break. There hasn't been the accountability on the line that there has been in other positions. You can see this year that is changing.

Ouch!!! So much for my grand theory then.

No accountability? Bad habits? Almost no upper classmen on the Oline at all but that's not a major problem?

Would youe please expand on your post? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!!

Well, when clownahan doesn't recruit too well, after only 1 or 2 years, the ol "it takes 3 yrs to start at N" becomes "it takes able bodies 1-2 years to start at N"

Then, an injury, a defection, and poor coaching of system and technique, or not panning out, puts us another year behind. Sooo, in 2.5 short years we now have guys starting from juco, learning from a clown, and LOSING seasons with bare recruiting cupboards. Take into effect the quick exit of clown and you're left with a circus that needs wrangling in Keystone Cop style: switching positions, pizz poor technique, and a year or two of getting recruits to believe they can come here and excel. BAM, we're left w a 6 yr bane of crappy line play. Not to mention Watsgrove, who Dirk failed to mention, I believe and add another yr of setback there! Its not like Nicks, incognito, and others haven't haven't turned pro, saying that we've not had talent, but what about putting together entire CLASSES OF LINES that have played well here....

Now, 3 yrs of Bo + 1 game and it's "youth, youth, youth" which means they finally have their guys learning their system. It's no wonder they concentrated getting playmakers in, as Dirk said, it's easier to get skill guys in early...hell, we just needed PLAYMAKERS. Anyway, if T Moore and Rodriguez are starting its because of an overall theme that I feel dirk was pointing too: get the best players of Bo on the field and go from from here.

How cotton blends in (pun intended), is up in the air....

Really, Dirk is just again calling it like he sees it. And I cannot disagree with him. Bo has shown he wants a power running team, the the tune of running 65-70 percent of our offensive plays. That is perfectly fine if Bo wants that to be his philosophy, but the fact is you need a bada** offensive line with a bada** offensive line coach to make this work. Even an average coach will not make this type of heavy dosed system work.

What is even worse and disappointing to me is that Bo and the AD will not go out and hire a top quality offensive coach to be put in this position. You watch so many other schools funnel out the money to their staffs and bring in top quality coaches AND recruiters.

If Bo and the AD had the guts, they'd go hand out money to someone like Todd Spencer from GA Tech, Chris Kapilovic from Southern Miss, or Cam Norcross from Nevada. Just me, but I'd rather have a PROVEN coach to fix the problem rather than hoping some young unknown coach, or a retread from years past, can potentially save a unit that is the more important part of the offense Coach wants to run.

Really, Dirk is just again calling it like he sees it. And I cannot disagree with him. Bo has shown he wants a power running team, the the tune of running 65-70 percent of our offensive plays. That is perfectly fine if Bo wants that to be his philosophy, but the fact is you need a bada** offensive line with a bada** offensive line coach to make this work. Even an average coach will not make this type of heavy dosed system work.

What is even worse and disappointing to me is that Bo and the AD will not go out and hire a top quality offensive coach to be put in this position. You watch so many other schools funnel out the money to their staffs and bring in top quality coaches AND recruiters.

If Bo and the AD had the guts, they'd go hand out money to someone like Todd Spencer from GA Tech, Chris Kapilovic from Southern Miss, or Cam Norcross from Nevada. Just me, but I'd rather have a PROVEN coach to fix the problem rather than hoping some young unknown coach, or a retread from years past, can potentially save a unit that is the more important part of the offense Coach wants to run.

GaTech really reminds me of us years ago. Zero top ten recuiting classes but they still run over people. Yeah, Spencer is tempting to say the least. P. Johnson would be the crown jewel.

Hang tough, BigWillie. I think Bo gets it. Last year's recruiting was road-grader targeted to an extreme. Good chance it will stay that way for awhile. The Oline improves a LOT this year or I bet you'll get your wish.

GBR!!

Who was the OL coach in 2003 when they played horrible against any team with a pulse despite having starters that had a combined 8 letters between them going into the season and were (RS)SO, JR, SR, JR, SR? dry.gif

Oh, that NU team that had a bowl winning 10 - 3 record? In a truly amazing display of outstanding stupidity we fired them all to bring in the mighty Clownahan regime. Truly an epic moment.

Btw, how many times have we done better than 10 - 3 since?

Frank had to go. Why is he still at Ohio if he was such an incredible coach? Why is his name NEVER mentioned when, say, the Tennessee job is vacant?

I respect the hell out of Frank Solich, I truly do. He is Nebraska through and through, and he contributed a ton of time, effort, sweat and blood to this program. But letting him go was the right decision, imo.

Why did we get rid of that minus button?

I take it you disagree with my opinion. Care to elaborate?

Yeah sure I'll go ahead and elaborate how's this... dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

Not really worth reading, actually. It's all good though. Enjoy the game today.

He says all of those mistakes can and should be fixed in the film room. I guess we will find out if Barney is as good as my friend is.

Seeing someone make a mistake isn't that difficult. Teaching someone how to correct their mistake is. Two completely different skill sets.

One, I was being facetious. Two, I have coached basketball for a very, very long time at high levels. I am well aware of the different skill sets.