The husker O-line troubles run deep

Red Tape

Who was the OL coach in 2003 when they played horrible against any team with a pulse despite having starters that had a combined 8 letters between them going into the season and were (RS)SO, JR, SR, JR, SR? dry.gif

Oh, that NU team that had a bowl winning 10 - 3 record? In a truly amazing display of outstanding stupidity we fired them all to bring in the mighty Clownahan regime. Truly an epic moment.

Btw, how many times have we done better than 10 - 3 since?

Frank had to go. Why is he still at Ohio if he was such an incredible coach? Why is his name NEVER mentioned when, say, the Tennessee job is vacant?

I respect the hell out of Frank Solich, I truly do. He is Nebraska through and through, and he contributed a ton of time, effort, sweat and blood to this program. But letting him go was the right decision, imo.

Why did we get rid of that minus button?

Because otherwise imgonnasuhyou would have like -1000 rep.

Our offense was as bad last year as our D was in 2007.

No it wasn't.

From what a lot of people are saying, the line is having to overcome Cotton. That sentiment more than anything makes me hugely suspicious of Pelini's strategy last winter in hiring. No matter how many friends the guy may or may not have.

I think this is the major issue.

Callahan had no interest in being Nebraska's head coach - he just needed a job. He treated it like it was an ordinary job, and that you cannot do.

Where does something like this come from? It seems like only conjecture. Callahan was ultimately not very good at the job, but he is frequently and unfairly vilified. Not by you, knapp, but I don't understand this one.

Is immGonnasuhyou the guy who started the whole thread about us not really having a sellout streak because some people don't make it to the game?

Anyhow, I think knapp and girlwhoknowsfootball hit it on the head. It may not be crappahans fault per se, but the issue started while he was still here, actually before he was hired, come to think of it.

I'm not a Cotton supporter, by any stretch of the imagination. However, I did rewatch the game with a good friend of mine that played OT in college in a similar offense (option/run). He pointed out that the calls were not right or others weren't running the right calls along the line as guys were blocking in different styles. One guy reaching when another is supposed to be head up and so on.

Rewatch Martinez's second long run in the third quarter, we did several times. Burkhead goes the wrong way, the line is all muddled up, and Martinez runs past the fullback which he is supposed to fall behind as a lead blocker. Only because it was UTC and Taylor is so much faster than everyone else on the field did he score. My friend said he would have been crushed by a safety or linebacker against a good defense. He also pointed out that the line wasn't correctly "chipping" on the dline and then getting to the second level on runs between the tackles leaving LB and S to fill the holes.

If you aren't a football mind or aren't great on oline work, watch the game with an ex-lineman that played at a high level. It is mind blowing and eye opening. That is not an easy job, and I have a new respect for the center and the calls he makes. (Sidenote: He was most impressed with Caputo. Only linemen not to make an obvious mistake every third play.)

He says all of those mistakes can and should be fixed in the film room. I guess we will find out if Barney is as good as my friend is.

Our offense was as bad last year as our D was in 2007.

No it wasn't.

From what a lot of people are saying, the line is having to overcome Cotton. That sentiment more than anything makes me hugely suspicious of Pelini's strategy last winter in hiring. No matter how many friends the guy may or may not have.

I think this is the major issue.

Callahan had no interest in being Nebraska's head coach - he just needed a job. He treated it like it was an ordinary job, and that you cannot do.

Where does something like this come from? It seems like only conjecture. Callahan was ultimately not very good at the job, but he is frequently and unfairly vilified. Not by you, knapp, but I don't understand this one.

crappahan may get to much blame, maybe, but knapp was right on with his assessment. This wad nothing more than a job to him, he had the passion to succeed, only because it would have made him look like a good coach, not because he wanted Nebraska to be back at the top.

He said as much, an d everything he did showed it. If you choose to ignore it, thats fine, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that his passion was for his personal success, not for the long term success of the program.

I've been going back and watching just the lines. I'm telling you guys are confused. Legate never knows who to block and usually ends up chipping the guy making the tackle after it's too late. Burkhead runs into Martinez on a simple quick screen and then play actions the wrong way leading to a sack. It's going to take time to iron it out. We saw the defense do the same thing 3 years ago.

Who was the OL coach in 2003 when they played horrible against any team with a pulse despite having starters that had a combined 8 letters between them going into the season and were (RS)SO, JR, SR, JR, SR? dry.gif

Oh, that NU team that had a bowl winning 10 - 3 record? In a truly amazing display of outstanding stupidity we fired them all to bring in the mighty Clownahan regime. Truly an epic moment.

Frank had to go. Why is he still at Ohio if he was such an incredible coach? Why is his name NEVER mentioned when, say, the Tennessee job is vacant?

I respect the hell out of Frank Solich, I truly do. He is Nebraska through and through, and he contributed a ton of time, effort, sweat and blood to this program. But letting him go was the right decision, imo.

I take it you disagree with my opinion. Care to elaborate?

Nebula has a point, to be fair.

You in part. If that's all you were doing I'd be chiming in right along beside you. This may just be my perception, but between you and zoogies, any time there's a comment directed at Callahan in a negative way, you rush in to post something in his favor. I don't get it. Bill Callahan has just about nothing to do with Nebraska Football. His coaching techniques and philosophies are not representative of what we are or what we intend to be. He was a bad coach for Nebraska not just because he lost, but because he didn't care what was lost during his tenure. He was, essentially, an opponent coach sitting in our head coach's office for four years. I liken it to having Pat Hill, the Fresno coach, take over Nebraska for four years while still acting like he's coaching Fresno. Callahan had no interest in being Nebraska's head coach - he just needed a job. He treated it like it was an ordinary job, and that you cannot do.

However, I often think the criticism leveled at Callahan goes way over the top. There are dozens of examples, but off the top of my head I'll toss out the "throat-slash" thing for which he was wrongly and unnecessarily vilified, the "he's not wearing a Nebraska shirt at the press conference" nonsense, and the licking his lips thing - all of which were ridiculous things to use against him, but all of which were. While wrong for Nebraska, he was not a bad person, nor was he a bad coach. He was a bad fit. His mistakes were more inherent than intentional - although, there were a few cultural whitewashings he attempted that I very strongly disagree with.

I would rather watch paint dry than read any of Dirk Chatelain's nonsense so I can't speak for what he wrote, but the gist of what I'm getting is that Callahan is being blamed in part for the woes of our offensive line. While it's possible that echoes of what Callahan did could be influencing today's line, the reality is that Callahan was a very good offensive line coach (hence the praise he's getting in the NFL today) and I really don't see a solid argument for blaming the line on Callahan - other than cultural mindset, which is something I strongly disagree with him on. The worst thing Callahan did for our O Line was get himself fired, thus turning off several strong recruits and shelling the line. But that's not really his fault, and I think it's stupid to blame him for it.

Today's O Line is the product of three things, in my opinion - a necessarily heavy focus on defensive recruiting, poor coaching and injuries. Four things, if you count the exodus of Callahan's recruits (but again, you can't blame Callahan, or the recruits for leaving in a time of upheaval). We've lost some guys due to attrition (injuries), Barney has not been teaching solid technique (or they're not learning, regardless, they're not performing well) and that leaves us with the defensive focus of our recruiting efforts. That falls on Bo, and while it was necessary, it almost seems to have been a focus to the detriment of the O Line, and that's a problem.

This exactly sums up my thoughts on the subject, especially in the last paragraph there.

The truth of the matter is simple - our players have been criticized for having bad technique, and they've been criticized by guys who know quite a bit about offensive lines (i.e. Stai and Jason Peter). I usually ignore what Jason Peter says because of his delivery, but when he talks about the offensive line's poor performances in the last few years he makes good points.

Dirk has a point, but I think his article says two things: first, our offensive line is Callahan's fault and two we should just wait it out. Well, if our offensive line doesn't step up this year, Dirk suggests the 2012 season may not be any better. Really, Dirk? We can't coach these guys because of Bill Callahan? Really? Bill Callahan is why this offensive line could be bad?

I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. I thought we were stretched real thin in the defensive backfield in 2008, yet by 2009 our secondary was amazing. I know the offensive line is predicated on experience, probably more-so than any other group on a football team. But still. By next year this offensive line has to be better, and there really shouldn't be any excuses if they're bad.

You in part. If that's all you were doing I'd be chiming in right along beside you. This may just be my perception, but between you and zoogies, any time there's a comment directed at Callahan in a negative way, you rush in to post something in his favor. I don't get it. Bill Callahan has just about nothing to do with Nebraska Football. His coaching techniques and philosophies are not representative of what we are or what we intend to be. He was a bad coach for Nebraska not just because he lost, but because he didn't care what was lost during his tenure. He was, essentially, an opponent coach sitting in our head coach's office for four years. I liken it to having Pat Hill, the Fresno coach, take over Nebraska for four years while still acting like he's coaching Fresno. Callahan had no interest in being Nebraska's head coach - he just needed a job. He treated it like it was an ordinary job, and that you cannot do.

However, I often think the criticism leveled at Callahan goes way over the top. There are dozens of examples, but off the top of my head I'll toss out the "throat-slash" thing for which he was wrongly and unnecessarily vilified, the "he's not wearing a Nebraska shirt at the press conference" nonsense, and the licking his lips thing - all of which were ridiculous things to use against him, but all of which were. While wrong for Nebraska, he was not a bad person, nor was he a bad coach. He was a bad fit. His mistakes were more inherent than intentional - although, there were a few cultural whitewashings he attempted that I very strongly disagree with.

I would rather watch paint dry than read any of Dirk Chatelain's nonsense so I can't speak for what he wrote, but the gist of what I'm getting is that Callahan is being blamed in part for the woes of our offensive line. While it's possible that echoes of what Callahan did could be influencing today's line, the reality is that Callahan was a very good offensive line coach (hence the praise he's getting in the NFL today) and I really don't see a solid argument for blaming the line on Callahan - other than cultural mindset, which is something I strongly disagree with him on. The worst thing Callahan did for our O Line was get himself fired, thus turning off several strong recruits and shelling the line. But that's not really his fault, and I think it's stupid to blame him for it.

Today's O Line is the product of three things, in my opinion - a necessarily heavy focus on defensive recruiting, poor coaching and injuries. Four things, if you count the exodus of Callahan's recruits (but again, you can't blame Callahan, or the recruits for leaving in a time of upheaval). We've lost some guys due to attrition (injuries), Barney has not been teaching solid technique (or they're not learning, regardless, they're not performing well) and that leaves us with the defensive focus of our recruiting efforts. That falls on Bo, and while it was necessary, it almost seems to have been a focus to the detriment of the O Line, and that's a problem.

This exactly sums up my thoughts on the subject, especially in the last paragraph there.

The truth of the matter is simple - our players have been criticized for having bad technique, and they've been criticized by guys who know quite a bit about offensive lines (i.e. Stai and Jason Peter). I usually ignore what Jason Peter says because of his delivery, but when he talks about the offensive line's poor performances in the last few years he makes good points.

Dirk has a point, but I think his article says two things: first, our offensive line is Callahan's fault and two we should just wait it out. Well, if our offensive line doesn't step up this year, Dirk suggests the 2012 season may not be any better. Really, Dirk? We can't coach these guys because of Bill Callahan? Really? Bill Callahan is why this offensive line could be bad?

I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. I thought we were stretched real thin in the defensive backfield in 2008, yet by 2009 our secondary was amazing. I know the offensive line is predicated on experience, probably more-so than any other group on a football team. But still. By next year this offensive line has to be better, and there really shouldn't be any excuses if they're bad.

Sure, that's reasonable.

The main point is that "now" it simply cannot be disputed that Barney, Stai & Garrison are hardly working with a typical Oline scenario. When the depth chart is almost absent of any upper classmen there really is something wrong. The numbers don't lie. It was a recruiting problem but that was then and this is now.

This year to me is about about showing improvement. No, a perfect linear line of improvement isn't going to happen but in general. Say from month to month on average. That doesn't happen I'll gladly wave good-bye to Barney and/or whoever.

I just don't see how folks can expect great results immediately (game one). Not to mention with a new OC & scheme. Bo has shown he won't put up with incompetence forever so no worries.....

GBR!!

Sure, that's reasonable.

The main point is that "now" it simply cannot be disputed that Barney, Stai & Garrison are hardly working with a typical Oline scenario. When the depth chart is almost absent of any upper classmen there really is something wrong. The numbers don't lie. It was a recruiting problem but that was then and this is now.

This year to me is about about showing improvement. No, a perfect linear line of improvement isn't going to happen but in general. Say from month to month on average. That doesn't happen I'll gladly wave good-bye to Barney and/or whoever.

I just don't see how folks can expect great results immediately (game one). Not to mention with a new OC & scheme. Bo has shown he won't put up with incompetence forever so no worries.....

GBR!!

I can agree with this. I don't expect them to be great now because of the odd factors involved this year.

However, I do think these issues have come at a very odd time. Cotton has been questioned since he's been here, and I think this was people's last year to put up with a bad line. Then, all of a sudden, it's nothing but young guys, old guys with injuries and a lack of depth (although the depth issue has been a problem every year). I think Cotton should consider himself lucky that the stars aligned this way in 2011.

I take it you disagree with my opinion. Care to elaborate?

Yeah sure I'll go ahead and elaborate how's this... dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

Can someone tell me what kind of offense we run? Are we back to being an option team? Sat's offense looked kind of like a mix. The option/no option offense. I don't know how a young OL could adequately prepare for our schitzo offense.

Maybe we just didn't want to "show" anything last week. If that's the case, we succeeded.