Wired to root for Big XII

adc7236

Iowa is our rival now

No, they're not. Stop saying that, people.

Yes, they are. What, do you still cling on to the "Oklahoma is our rival" tag? Seriously, we gotta move on for that one. Be happy that we have Iowa as a rival. It's a lot more natural and a helluva lot better than what Colorado was.

I think he is referring to the fact that rivalries are made over the years, not manufactured by leagues.

• Fire 2

Iowa is our rival now

Yes, they are. What, do you still cling on to the "Oklahoma is our rival" tag? Seriously, we gotta move on for that one. Be happy that we have Iowa as a rival. It's a lot more natural and a helluva lot better than what Colorado was.

I think he is referring to the fact that rivalries are made over the years, not manufactured by leagues.

There it is. I'm all out of +1's for the day though

Iowa is our rival now

There it is. I'm all out of +1's for the day though

Not to mention that we haven't even played them yet (not counting games form years and years ago)

Hehe We play them in november so they're our rival! No... they are not our rival. How can people see these bizarre, manufactured "rivalries" as remotely authentic? The teams aren't toys or fictional entities. You might as well decide that the toaster and the blender REALLY hate each other and they stare each other down at night after you go to bed. Maybe factions have formed among your appliances and more rivalries have formed between individual faction member-- the ice cream scoop REALLY hates the cutting board and has grudgingly joined up with the toaster, someone with whom he often finds himself at odds, because the cutting board has joined its forces with the blender. Occasionally, in their Lazy Susan Fortress, the wise-cracking bottle opener gives moments of levity to the Toaster and Pals, but the pepper mill has it out for that silly churchkey.

Sorry... But that's what these stupid rivalries are. NU and OU were two powerhouses that met over the years in in-conference play, several times as 1 and 2. That's pretty awesome. The annual game grew in importance as the narrative around the game added game after game of critical and great meetings. But now, in this cynical media environment, the narrative is put together first and reality is expected to follow the preconceived media narrative. Please, PLEASE do not feed this monster. CU was NOT our rival-- there was no history there except for like 2 years in the 90s when CU was good. Iowa? We have no significant history with Iowa. We are rival-less and probably will be for years unless we end up in an annual struggle with a team for the Big 10 championship. But if it's just some stupid game scheduled during what ESPN has decided is RIVALRY WEEKEND RAWWRRRR... then, that's worse than meaningless-- that's dictated meaning and it's insulting and annoying.

UGH. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go think up a MacGuffin for my kitchen utensils to fight over.