What did we learn???

walksalone

Here's what I saw...

The O-line looks like it's reverted back to the zone-control mentality that Barney seems to love and which failed so miserably a couple of years ago. They appeared to be so worried about their zone that they forgot how to pop the stray linebacker or D-back that happened to blitz. That might be the easiest way for a young line to learn to block but it's a failure in the long run, especially with a QB like Martinez who shouldn't be throwing out of a pocket anyway. A guy who throws the ball like Dan Quisenberry needs to roll out or he's going to be getting a lot of passes deflected at the line.

The D-line is too light and not providing the penetration that'll keep the opposing O-line from getting to the linebackers. Once those big hogs on the O-line get to those speed guys like David, it's just a quick step for any back to break into the secondary. A speed line would be great as long as the LBs are oversized but the Huskers appear to have a D-line and a linebacking group both built for speed and not for run stuffing. Once the other team gets the run established, then they start picking apart the defensive backfield.

A couple of the DB's are too slow to cover real good ends. When some serious receivers show up, it'll be Cover 2 all the way and that's going to make a long day for the D-line and the backers.

I saw a lot of one-dimensional offensive work. Martinez left...Martinez right...Martinez throws... Use Burkhead like he's meant to be used...as a battering ram to wear down the D-line. He should be the featured back of the offense to take some pressure off the QB instead of sitting out there like an afterthought.

Check down to the TE more. They were open all night...

With some experience, a change of personel or two and firing Barney and getting a real line coach, this team should be okay.

Cy, it has been waaaay too long. The number one thing I will miss from the Big 12 is your predictions haha

If Wisconsin is #8 the way they are handling business, we are NOT #10.

Oh my gosh...if someone else says how good Wisconsin is I am going to puke. Who have they played? UNLV or Oregon St who lost to Sacramento St last week. Please, stop giving them so much props when they haven't played anyone yet. Thank you. As far as tonight, it was a trap game and we came out on top against a very determined, well coached team. Keep the faith, there still is not a game on our schedule that we can not win.

Keep living in fantasy land where Nebraska is better than Wisconsin.

Keep living in yours where UW is better than NU.

If Wisconsin is #8 the way they are handling business, we are NOT #10.

Oh my gosh...if someone else says how good Wisconsin is I am going to puke. Who have they played? UNLV or Oregon St who lost to Sacramento St last week. Please, stop giving them so much props when they haven't played anyone yet. Thank you. As far as tonight, it was a trap game and we came out on top against a very determined, well coached team. Keep the faith, there still is not a game on our schedule that we can not win.

Keep living in fantasy land where Nebraska is better than Wisconsin.

Keep living in yours where UW is better than NU.

my Dad can beat up your Dad.........

Our O line won't be controlling anyone, time start using the pass to open up the run perhaps? (cringe)

The O line seems to be the crux of the issue. If the run and pass blocking were a bit better, we may have been looking at 49 or 56 points scored, instead of 42.

I learned that you can completely hold a Husker during a punt return, run it for a touchdown, and it's okay at the end of the day. Completely blown call by the refs on that one.

There were several holding calls that went "unnoticed".

Here's what I saw...

The O-line looks like it's reverted back to the zone-control mentality that Barney seems to love and which failed so miserably a couple of years ago. They appeared to be so worried about their zone that they forgot how to pop the stray linebacker or D-back that happened to blitz. That might be the easiest way for a young line to learn to block but it's a failure in the long run, especially with a QB like Martinez who shouldn't be throwing out of a pocket anyway. A guy who throws the ball like Dan Quisenberry needs to roll out or he's going to be getting a lot of passes deflected at the line.

The D-line is too light and not providing the penetration that'll keep the opposing O-line from getting to the linebackers. Once those big hogs on the O-line get to those speed guys like David, it's just a quick step for any back to break into the secondary. A speed line would be great as long as the LBs are oversized but the Huskers appear to have a D-line and a linebacking group both built for speed and not for run stuffing. Once the other team gets the run established, then they start picking apart the defensive backfield.

A couple of the DB's are too slow to cover real good ends. When some serious receivers show up, it'll be Cover 2 all the way and that's going to make a long day for the D-line and the backers.

I saw a lot of one-dimensional offensive work. Martinez left...Martinez right...Martinez throws... Use Burkhead like he's meant to be used...as a battering ram to wear down the D-line. He should be the featured back of the offense to take some pressure off the QB instead of sitting out there like an afterthought.

Check down to the TE more. They were open all night...

With some experience, a change of personel or two and firing Barney and getting a real line coach, this team should be okay.

THIS!!!

1. We need Dennard back and I mean yesterday. The sooner we shut down half the field, the better.

2. The defense is mortal after all. Line got basically no pressure and was endlessly exposed on simple rollouts.

3. O-line is self-explanatory, though they did show up at the end.

4. Taylor is a reckless quarterback with no ability to handle a football and will account for half a million turnovers before the season is over or he's benched. The real criticism will start coming when his athleticism against inferior opponents no longer outweighs his mistakes against superior ones.

5. We weren't the only team to struggle today, but national championship teams aren't led for forty minutes by a soggy opponent like this. Alabama left a stain where Penn State used to be and LSU murderated Oregon on opening night. Nebraska is severely, severely overrated. Forget looking to Wisconsin. That team that humiliated us in the bowl game last year is coming to town next weekend. My guess is they'll be practicing rollouts until a QB blows a knee or they win by three touchdowns.

6. Ameer Abdullah. Enough said.

7. Brandon Kinnie, I dub thee Niles the Second. May you look helplessly at your hands forever.

8. Justin Blatchford. Enough said...the other way.

9. Sexy Rexy will kill'em if they're not putting nine in the box.

10. Tim Beck––you're more Watson than anyone is comfortable with at this point. I hope you succeed. Consider my skepticism of you unchanged.

I haven't read all of the posts, but you pretty much hit it on the head.

I really like number four. I want to add to it though. There seems to be alot of defenders for Martinez on the board, but what they forget is this exact story played out last year. Yeah, he's great for some big plays against inferior athletes. Anyone remember Texas? He was SHUTDOWN and was not injured then. Why? Because Texas, while their team didn't do too swell in 2010, has great athletes on it. They basically took away the only edge Martinez has: outrunning the defense. Without that, he's pretty useless. Yeah, it may be harsh, but just how I see it. Unfortunately, we don't have anyone better to step up.

Ameer is a beast. Loved that kid coming in and he's pretty much as advertised. I wish he would get a few more touches on offense, but great call putting him as a returner. He will be a fun one to watch.

NU didn't lose to UT because of Martinez.

I never even said that nor did I hint at it. Do people read in here? My point is when Martinez faces athletic defenses, his edge that he has (being able to outrun opponents) as a QB is taken away.

Sorry, my bad, I *did* assume you were inferring that, but you are right - you didn't say it. I just think he gets some unfair criticism at times, and blamed for things. It would just be nice to have a luxury of an O-Line that would give him a little more time and then he might look more polished/multi-dimensional.

I never even said that nor did I hint at it. Do people read in here? My point is when Martinez faces athletic defenses, his edge that he has (being able to outrun opponents) as a QB is taken away.

His. Receivers. Dropped. Several. Catchable. Touchdowns. Against. Texas.

You ask if people read around here. I'm going to ask - do you watch the games? Outrunning opponents isn't Martinez' only ability.

We have ONE quarterback right now. And people are still looking to replace him. Unreal.

His. Receivers. Dropped. Several. Catchable. Touchdowns. Against. Texas.

You ask if people read around here. I'm going to ask - do you watch the games? Outrunning opponents isn't Martinez' only ability.

We have ONE quarterback right now. And people are still looking to replace him. Unreal.

That ONE quarterback also had pretty much similar, if not better, stats as a freshman than Crouch did as a senior. I really don't know what the hell people want.

Sorry, my bad, I *did* assume you were inferring that, but you are right - you didn't say it. I just think he gets some unfair criticism at times, and blamed for things. It would just be nice to have a luxury of an O-Line that would give him a little more time and then he might look more polished/multi-dimensional.

Yep, that's true too, but his accuracy or actually his lack of accuracy is just frustrating. Scratch that...our whole offense the last two years has been frustrating and this year will be no different.

And yes knapp, receivers did drop alot of balls against Texas.

I think the frustrating thing with Martinez is I have seen little improvement from last year. Not accurate, poor pocket presence, locks onto receivers, and tries to run rather going through progressions. If he's just going to take off like that all the time, do more boot legs so at least he's not trying to run right into the defense. At least maybe it would put him in more of a position to succeed.

I've learned its cool to say TM is a bad passer and wreak waiting to happen while overlooking the multiple big plays he made, and I've also learned that other than David our LB's suck overlooking the fact that Compton made as many tackles as David.....yes I learned all this from this thread and not the game, however I thought that that's ok because alot of the stuff people seemed to have learned from the recent game wasn't accurate either.

Oh yeah one last thing, we all should have learned that calling out a safety (Cassidy)because of some sort of bias, sometimes comes back to bite you in the arse- how many of you here said similar things about O'Hanlon after the VT game in 2008-?