What did we learn???

walksalone

If Wisconsin is #8 the way they are handling business, we are NOT #10.

Oh my gosh...if someone else says how good Wisconsin is I am going to puke. Who have they played? UNLV or Oregon St who lost to Sacramento St last week. Please, stop giving them so much props when they haven't played anyone yet. Thank you. As far as tonight, it was a trap game and we came out on top against a very determined, well coached team. Keep the faith, there still is not a game on our schedule that we can not win.

Keep living in fantasy land where Nebraska is better than Wisconsin.

We'll see who is living in fantasy land, bud. Also, I don't suggest you come on HUSKER board and talk like that. Save your snide remarks for your own damn board when you lose to us next week. Wisconsin hasn't had a test yet so I am far from living in fantasy land. Until they do, don't say anything.

Oh my gosh...if someone else says how good Wisconsin is I am going to puke. Who have they played? UNLV or Oregon St who lost to Sacramento St last week. Please, stop giving them so much props when they haven't played anyone yet. Thank you. As far as tonight, it was a trap game and we came out on top against a very determined, well coached team. Keep the faith, there still is not a game on our schedule that we can not win.

You realize, if your team beats ours next week, we are going to be very, very annoyed! :lol:

and if they don't well never see the troll again. win win situation for him

I think Wisconsin has looked pretty darned good in their wins, but just noticed that UNLV got beat worse by Washington State, and Oregon State also lost to an FCS team last week. Still, I'd love to look dominant against anyone right now.

The last few years it seems as if we learn nothing just steamrolling teams in the non-con. Sure, it's a rainbows and puppy dogs while we're crushing some Sun Belt team, but when a conference team punches us in the teeth, we don't know how to react. I'm glad Fresno State came in and gave us a battle. These youngins need to learn how to overcome those types of games. Zoogies made a great post about this in another thread.

In fairness to Taylor I think he is still adjusting to the speed of the game. Let me explain that. That fumble he had where the ball rolled out of bounds (not the one where the fresno player recovered it out of bounds)...Taylor was in the process of changing the ball from his right hand to his left as he bounced to the left side of the field. He just didn't make the switch in time before the Fresno player made contact.

when I first watched the replay I was thinking "switch hands. Put that ball on the outside...oh he did...oh he didn't quite make it that's what happened..."

You realize, if your team beats ours next week, we are going to be very, very annoyed! :lol:

The best team doesn't always win. We lose those fumbles and we are 1-1 right now. Wisconsin could take it to us. Or we could play a solid game and win. We're not a horrible team. We just have a lot of issues and from what I know about wisconsin, they're good but not perfect. Washington is going to be a solid game. Our run defense has to improve and our offensive line has to be more consistent.

Plus we faced a future NFL QB in Carr, who played ahead of his years. Very impressive performance, I really think he'll be one of the more well rounded QBs we'll see all year. He could probably start for most of the schools in the Big Ten.

from what I see, they look more sound in so many areas.....doesnt really matter if you miss blocks, assignments, etc. etc. against a number 100 team or a #30 team. they both show up. mistakes are mistakes. broken plays and poor technique, looking lost and having a secondary play passively would show up in either game....too me they look like thy have fewer problem areas for so early in the season.....

In fairness to Taylor I think he is still adjusting to the speed of the game. Let me explain that. That fumble he had where the ball rolled out of bounds (not the one where the fresno player recovered it out of bounds)...Taylor was in the process of changing the ball from his right hand to his left as he bounced to the left side of the field. He just didn't make the switch in time before the Fresno player made contact.

when I first watched the replay I was thinking "switch hands. Put that ball on the outside...oh he did...oh he didn't quite make it that's what happened..."

I saw that too. He's obviously thinking about ball security, he just needs to get to the point where changing hands is automatic, and not a conscious decision.

The second fumble is less excusable. He had kept on an option and even after the pitchman was out of the play, he was still carrying it like he was about to pitch. Once he decides to go, he's got to just tuck the ball away. Hopefully he sees it on film and corrects it.

I miss Sanders.

I do too. Yesterday wasn't about physicality--it was about our kids being out of position and not fully knowing assignments in our secondary.

Maybe I'm looking at it with nostalgia-tinted glasses, but save for one half at Okie Lite, we didn't have this problem with Sanders.

I saw that too. He's obviously thinking about ball security, he just needs to get to the point where changing hands is automatic, and not a conscious decision.

The second fumble is less excusable. He had kept on an option and even after the pitchman was out of the play, he was still carrying it like he was about to pitch. Once he decides to go, he's got to just tuck the ball away. Hopefully he sees it on film and corrects it.

Do you guys see his one scramble in the third, after his two fumbles, where once he saw a Fresno player close in on him, he covered up the ball with two hands? He looked like a fullback running the ball.

I still think our major concern is the O-Line. The defense did not play very well which is concerning but I think some of it's issues can be corrected while I'm not so sure about the O-Line. Until late in the fourth quarter we weren't getting any push at all up front and Burkhead was averaging about 2 yards per carry up to that point.

Do you guys see his one scramble in the third, after his two fumbles, where once he saw a Fresno player close in on him, he covered up the ball with two hands? He looked like a fullback running the ball.

Nebraska Fullbacks cant even block let alone run with the ball.

• Fire 1

Here's what I saw...

The O-line looks like it's reverted back to the zone-control mentality that Barney seems to love and which failed so miserably a couple of years ago. They appeared to be so worried about their zone that they forgot how to pop the stray linebacker or D-back that happened to blitz. That might be the easiest way for a young line to learn to block but it's a failure in the long run, especially with a QB like Martinez who shouldn't be throwing out of a pocket anyway. A guy who throws the ball like Dan Quisenberry needs to roll out or he's going to be getting a lot of passes deflected at the line.

The D-line is too light and not providing the penetration that'll keep the opposing O-line from getting to the linebackers. Once those big hogs on the O-line get to those speed guys like David, it's just a quick step for any back to break into the secondary. A speed line would be great as long as the LBs are oversized but the Huskers appear to have a D-line and a linebacking group both built for speed and not for run stuffing. Once the other team gets the run established, then they start picking apart the defensive backfield.

A couple of the DB's are too slow to cover real good ends. When some serious receivers show up, it'll be Cover 2 all the way and that's going to make a long day for the D-line and the backers.

I saw a lot of one-dimensional offensive work. Martinez left...Martinez right...Martinez throws... Use Burkhead like he's meant to be used...as a battering ram to wear down the D-line. He should be the featured back of the offense to take some pressure off the QB instead of sitting out there like an afterthought.

Check down to the TE more. They were open all night...

With some experience, a change of personel or two and firing Barney and getting a real line coach, this team should be okay.