Fresno's coach Hill quotes

Here are some quotes from the Fresno Bee:

“I thought our offensive line did a great job,” Hill said. “Our offensive line helped run it right down their throat.

“There weren’t any trick plays or reverses. It was straight ahead, off-tackle, dive football. We ran the ball well. I’m guessing their team doesn’t give up too many yards on the run, do they? Nope. I like the way we performed.”

“We had to handle adversity all through the game, and we just kept bouncing players in there. It was a very physical game and…our kids were not as big as Nebraska, but I thought we stood up and muscled with them all night long.”

I get that Fresno is not the Moc's, but these guys played lights out for this game. Our offensive line CANNOT block, period. Thank goodness coach Carl adjusted at half and had David come over on that rollout naked screen. I guess I wonder, and I know they are young but so was the Fresno line. So when is the argument "They are young, give them time to develop" done. Martinez has absolutely no time in the pocket, none. Everything is hurried and Rex can't make a cut because the other team is dominating the line. Sorry just tired of the same excuses. We can move on now.

“I thought our offensive line did a great job,” Hill said. “Our offensive line helped run it right down their throat.

Boy, I do not enjoy reading that quote. Thing is though, he's right. Is that a function of a bad night for the D-line, or is it indicative of poor LB play?

Maybe both. I couldn't stop thinking about Wisconsin as I watched Fresno rack up close to five YPR. If we don't make some improvements in that area, I get the feeling I'm not going to enjoy my experience in Madison. At all.

This has been said a lot, but it deserves saying again.

If Watson were still here, I'd be making no excuses for the offense. But Watson isn't here, and Beck is. Beck is a first time offensive coordinator at a major division one university. And truthfully speaking there's no easy way to take over as a coordinator. If you have veterans, they know one system and now have to practically start speaking a new language. If you have young guys, they're inexperienced in general so you're obviously going to struggle offensively.

We have Martinez, who is not a traditional option quarterback, being asked to play like one. He has no real option mentor, like Frazier and Frost had in Gill. The offensive line is young, and anybody who knows offensive lines will probably tell you experience is more important here than any other group on the field.

If this offense is still completely underwhelming in two years, then we'll have a right to be upset. However, Beck deserves time just like Pelini did when he got here.

• Fire 2

If Watson were still here, I'd be making no excuses for the offense. But Watson isn't here, and Beck is. Beck is a first time offensive coordinator at a major division one university. And truthfully speaking there's no easy way to take over as a coordinator. If you have veterans, they know one system and now have to practically start speaking a new language. If you have young guys, they're inexperienced in general so you're obviously going to struggle offensively.

We have Martinez, who is not a traditional option quarterback, being asked to play like one. He has no real option mentor, like Frazier and Frost had in Gill. The offensive line is young, and anybody who knows offensive lines will probably tell you experience is more important here than any other group on the field.

If this offense is still completely underwhelming in two years, then we'll have a right to be upset. However, Beck deserves time just like Pelini did when he got here.

^This post makes a lot of sense to me.

I was actually really impressed with Beck last night. I think that if this scenario had played out last year under Watson, this team would've gone into an offensive shell and lost going away.

Beck made the correct adjustments and took what the D was giving (the lob and pray for the most part). I know he and Watson always said, "we will take what the D gives us" but I never really saw Watson do that. I think we really saw Beck do that last night.

I'm still waiting for the playmakers (other than Taylor) to touch the ball more. I'm dying for more Turner.

Boy, I do not enjoy reading that quote. Thing is though, he's right. Is that a function of a bad night for the D-line, or is it indicative of poor LB play?

Maybe both. I couldn't stop thinking about Wisconsin as I watched Fresno rack up close to five YPR. If we don't make some improvements in that area, I get the feeling I'm not going to enjoy my experience in Madison. At all.

IMO his quote is a little misleading. There were a lot of things. They trapped us a few times and we over pursued a few times. We slanted our line a few times and we didn't have any backside run support. Our DLINE didn't play their gaps very well. They also did an excellent job of cross blocking and blocking down. They got good blocking angles. I wouldn't say that we got overpowered. I think they were well coached and we didn't play assignment football with good technique.

I agree that there is concern if we keep doing this. Wisconsin, Northwestern etc will all have a field day if they don't play their assignments.

Yeah I don't agree with his quotes. They did a lot to keep us off balance. Roll outs then in the second half roll outs with a draw to the back cutting against the grain creating overpursuit... he makes it sound like they just lined up in the I formation and powered it throught the A gap all night.

Agree..I think he was a little misleading. Maybe not "trick" plays but certainly not straight ahead stop us either.

Yeah I don't agree with his quotes. They did a lot to keep us off balance. Roll outs then in the second half roll outs with a draw to the back cutting against the grain creating overpursuit... he makes it sound like they just lined up in the I formation and powered it throught the A gap all night.

THIS

I feel the coaching staff on both sides of the ball made good adjustments at the half and the offense played clean mostly, few penalties and fumbles. I am concerned about the run D, and feel Blatchford is a mess at nickel. I would like to see some misdirection run plays, counters and a reverse out of the run game.

Not a great game, but not terrible. Just gotta keep getting better.