Bo's Presser

knapplc

What did Bo mean when he said he wasn't going to talk about how the crowd sounded? The crowd sounded normal to me Saturday - loud when the team deserved it, quiet when the team was playing poorly. What was asked of Bo in regards to the crowd?

The question was in relation to a comment Bo made during the offseason, where he said something about the crowd being louder and getting more involved. The reporter asked how Bo felt about the crowd's involvement or noise or whatever in the first two games, and Bo didn't want to touch it. He said he had too many other things to worry about.

A slick used-car-salesman kind of coach (Nick Saban) would have used that as an opportunity to suck up to the fans. Bo being Bo, he passed. Agree or disagree with him, you have to respect the fact that he is his own man.

He did say something like, "you guys were all there, you heard it". That is calling out the crowd as being quiet. Watching on TV, it is hard to cheer when the product on the field isn't playing that well. He didn't want to go there but he really did go there with his statement above.

I was looking for him to make some subs since it looked liked the starters weren't putting in a strong effort.

I didn't in any way get the impression that, in this presser, Bo was calling out the fans for being quiet. I know he's either outright done this in the past or he's strongly alluded to it, and he has a point at times. But that's a larger problem that you can't fix without systemically changing who/what we are as a program and fan base.

Taylor's Fumbles - Bo is concerned any time the ball goes on the turf. It's fundamentals. When you're careless with how you carry the football it's a problem. It has to be a sense of urgency to put the ball away.

I am hoping Taylor heard this himself and beats it into his head along with sleeping with the damned ball in the correct way. If not, I am going to cringe everytime he runs with the thing.

One of the best things we've done is increasing our tempo, getting plays off quickly. We want to get more plays in quicker, and go after people. We have to be more physical across the board, including myself.

I would really, really like to know when this will start to happen. All I see is the offense just standing there, all look up to the side lines, stand there again and then snap the ball. I think we are a complete 180 from increasing our tempo.

Taylor's Fumbles - Bo is concerned any time the ball goes on the turf. It's fundamentals. When you're careless with how you carry the football it's a problem. It has to be a sense of urgency to put the ball away.

I am hoping Taylor heard this himself and beats it into his head along with sleeping with the damned ball in the correct way. If not, I am going to cringe everytime he runs with the thing.

One of the best things we've done is increasing our tempo, getting plays off quickly. We want to get more plays in quicker, and go after people. We have to be more physical across the board, including myself.

I would really, really like to know when this will start to happen. All I see is the offense just standing there, all look up to the side lines, stand there again and then snap the ball. I think we are a complete 180 from increasing our tempo.

We aren't trying to snap the ball with only 1 second left on the play clock anymore. That's better tempo than the last few years at least.

i agree, the tempo isn't at all like i imagined it would be......if this is "it" "it" is no big deal.

i agree, the tempo isn't at all like i imagined it would be......if this is "it" "it" is no big deal.

Martinez said in a recent interview that we can go as fast as Oregon. I don't know if I believe that or what we are waiting for, but we better get some game reps with that tempo before we decide to pull it out in Big 10 play.

As it is, our offense already wears our defense out with its feast or famine, 3 and out or big play TD style. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Martinez said in a recent interview that we can go as fast as Oregon. I don't know if I believe that or what we are waiting for, but we better get some game reps with that tempo before we decide to pull it out in Big 10 play.

As it is, our offense already wears our defense out with its feast or famine, 3 and out or big play TD style. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think you may have answered the question already...

There was indication in practice leading up to Fresno from a couple of guys in a couple of areas that showed we had problems heading into the game. Guys listen to people tell them how good they are, and sometimes they need to get smacked around and get shown that you have to go out there and play. That's what makes this game great. You're only as good as your last snap. Hopefully our guys learned that.

We didn't play with an edge Saturday. That's obvious.

There was one running play that hurt us, but there were lots of other problems. Poor technique. Didn't play with NEAR the standard that we've established around here.

This is what bothers me about the teams we put out under Pelini.. Why don't we play like with passion? Is it because our style of defense doesn't lend itself to playing like wild men? Back under McBride we did more blitzing and basically beat the hell out of the opposing QB for 4 quarters. Is it a lack of leadership holding others accountable? It just doesn't seem like the team is fired up. Look at the way they were acting on the sidelines. We were in a close game and I saw a lot of smiling and joking around, which is bothersome.

This is what I've always missed about those teams. When "get after somebody's ass" was actually something that the defense did. Not anymore. I feel like if Pelini really wanted to do this 2 gap nonsense, he should just recruit to a 3-4 style, and get huge bodies on the line.

I'd say he should go back to a McBride style defense for the personnel he has. People flying to the ball, flying to the QB, and wreaking effin havoc. If the secondary is as good as he says it is, then why the hell not?

There was indication in practice leading up to Fresno from a couple of guys in a couple of areas that showed we had problems heading into the game. Guys listen to people tell them how good they are, and sometimes they need to get smacked around and get shown that you have to go out there and play. That's what makes this game great. You're only as good as your last snap. Hopefully our guys learned that.

We didn't play with an edge Saturday. That's obvious.

There was one running play that hurt us, but there were lots of other problems. Poor technique. Didn't play with NEAR the standard that we've established around here.

This is what bothers me about the teams we put out under Pelini.. Why don't we play like with passion? Is it because our style of defense doesn't lend itself to playing like wild men? Back under McBride we did more blitzing and basically beat the hell out of the opposing QB for 4 quarters. Is it a lack of leadership holding others accountable? It just doesn't seem like the team is fired up. Look at the way they were acting on the sidelines. We were in a close game and I saw a lot of smiling and joking around, which is bothersome.

This is what I've always missed about those teams. When "get after somebody's ass" was actually something that the defense did. Not anymore. I feel like if Pelini really wanted to do this 2 gap nonsense, he should just recruit to a 3-4 style, and get huge bodies on the line.

I'd say he should go back to a McBride style defense for the personnel he has. People flying to the ball, flying to the QB, and wreaking effin havoc. If the secondary is as good as he says it is, then why the hell not?

Did you watch the first two games? The secondary is not even close to being as good as advertised.

Now that may change when Dennard returns, but that remains to be seen.

I think you're wearing nostalgia-glasses. There was a time when folks wanted to run McBride out of town(see the pre 4-3 days). Like Bo he had times when his D would struggle or come-out flat. That isn't an indictment of McBride, he was a great DC for us, that is just the way coaching is. If you repeatedly have struggles or your D comes out flat then you are a problem.