Why do Wyoming fans hate N so much

Digressions aside, I live 10 minutes from Boulder, CO and have been a huge Nebraska fan since I can remember. I took hell for wearing my N gear through the painful years of 1989, 1990 when CU was beating Nebraska and playing in Nat'l title games. I attended CU and wore my red jacket in the student section in 2001 when we got obliterated (although I admit I left in the 3rd because things were getting ugly.....and not just on the field).

But one thing that I got out of being a Nebraska fan growing up in a hostile 'rival's' (for lack of a better word) backyard is a little gained perspective. Nebraska fans are great, but there is a perceived aura of smugness. Yankee fans, Cowboy fans, etc get the same kind of rap. What annoys me is these stupid little threads about 'why are they not nice to us?'. Well, first of all, you're probably citing posts from maybe 1 or 2 idiots and you're taking them to heart. Secondly, their stadium is about to be invaded by a bunch of visiting fans. They most likely will then watch their team be routed by yours on their campus, and then you will condescendingly shake their hand and say 'you guys have got a nice little program here. Good luck in the WAC or Mountain West, or whatever crap conference you guys play in'. Didn't you hate it when you got a C on a test and some snob who aced it walks up and says, 'nice job. You'll do better next time'?

No, opposing teams don't single Nebraska out for hatred above all. No, the announcers don't hate your team. And no, just because I'm being honest doesn't make me a closet UT fan.

The condescension just comes across that way because there's really nothing else to say. I don't think it's so much disingenuous as it's just an attempt to come across as friendly that isn't viewed by others as such. With regard to the self-proclamation of us being the "greatest fans in college football": THAT does strike me as needless arrogance. If other people outside of the program say it, that's cool, but we don't need to advertise it right on the stadium. That annoys opposing fans who come to Lincoln, and it should.

(By the way: does the phrase "absit invidia" ring a bell? ;) )

Digressions aside, I live 10 minutes from Boulder, CO and have been a huge Nebraska fan since I can remember. I took hell for wearing my N gear through the painful years of 1989, 1990 when CU was beating Nebraska and playing in Nat'l title games. I attended CU and wore my red jacket in the student section in 2001 when we got obliterated (although I admit I left in the 3rd because things were getting ugly.....and not just on the field).

But one thing that I got out of being a Nebraska fan growing up in a hostile 'rival's' (for lack of a better word) backyard is a little gained perspective. Nebraska fans are great, but there is a perceived aura of smugness. Yankee fans, Cowboy fans, etc get the same kind of rap. What annoys me is these stupid little threads about 'why are they not nice to us?'. Well, first of all, you're probably citing posts from maybe 1 or 2 idiots and you're taking them to heart. Secondly, their stadium is about to be invaded by a bunch of visiting fans. They most likely will then watch their team be routed by yours on their campus, and then you will condescendingly shake their hand and say 'you guys have got a nice little program here. Good luck in the WAC or Mountain West, or whatever crap conference you guys play in'. Didn't you hate it when you got a C on a test and some snob who aced it walks up and says, 'nice job. You'll do better next time'?

No, opposing teams don't single Nebraska out for hatred above all. No, the announcers don't hate your team. And no, just because I'm being honest doesn't make me a closet UT fan.

That's not the fans' fault though. No matter what we say, people will take it as arrogance even if we aren't meaning to. That's just what the deal of being a fan of a prestigious program is. People from programs that aren't as prestigious will always think of what you say as looking down on them and disrespecting them. There is nothing we can do about that, no matter how hard we try.

Secondly, their stadium is about to be invaded by a bunch of visiting fans. They most likely will then watch their team be routed by yours on their campus, and then you will condescendingly shake their hand and say 'you guys have got a nice little program here. Good luck in the WAC or Mountain West, or whatever crap conference you guys play in'. Didn't you hate it when you got a C on a test and some snob who aced it walks up and says, 'nice job. You'll do better next time

No, I don't, it makes me want to work harder and better myself in hopes that I will be able to replicate that other persons success. But I guess I'm a man and I have thicker skin than that.

Call it iowa syndrom, there is no logical reason for all the hate. Well, at least wyoming fans can be pissed that we got the Bobfather from them, but most of them don't even know who he is or that he was their coach.

Should we apologize for our past success and totally forget about it just because other teams haven't had that success? Thats just plain stupid.

The condescension just comes across that way because there's really nothing else to say. I don't think it's so much disingenuous as it's just an attempt to come across as friendly that isn't viewed by others as such. With regard to the self-proclamation of us being the "greatest fans in college football": THAT does strike me as needless arrogance. If other people outside of the program say it, that's cool, but we don't need to advertise it right on the stadium. That annoys opposing fans who come to Lincoln, and it should.

(By the way: does the phrase "absit invidia" ring a bell? ;) )

Agreed. And yes, it certainly does. :)

That's not the fans' fault though. No matter what we say, people will take it as arrogance even if we aren't meaning to. That's just what the deal of being a fan of a prestigious program is. People from programs that aren't as prestigious will always think of what you say as looking down on them and disrespecting them. There is nothing we can do about that, no matter how hard we try.

Exactly, so why make a thread and bitch about it then?

Exactly, so why make a thread and bitch about it then?

Idk some people care about what some random person thinks of them.

Secondly, their stadium is about to be invaded by a bunch of visiting fans. They most likely will then watch their team be routed by yours on their campus, and then you will condescendingly shake their hand and say 'you guys have got a nice little program here. Good luck in the WAC or Mountain West, or whatever crap conference you guys play in'. Didn't you hate it when you got a C on a test and some snob who aced it walks up and says, 'nice job. You'll do better next time

No, I don't, it makes me want to work harder and better myself in hopes that I will be able to replicate that other persons success. But I guess I'm a man and I have thicker skin than that.

Call it iowa syndrom, there is no logical reason for all the hate. Well, at least wyoming fans can be pissed that we got the Bobfather from them, but most of them don't even know who he is or that he was their coach.

Should we apologize for our past success and totally forget about it just because other teams haven't had that success? Thats just plain stupid.

So you assert that Wyoming fans don't even know their own program's history, right after saying there's no logical reason for them to dislike you?

Once again, I'm a hate, and let-hate kinda guy, so I love unbridled, illogical football fan animosity. What I don't get is the coy act of 'why do they dislike us?' and people being arrogant enough to write it off as jealousy, stupidity, or insanity.