Taylor's Throwing Motion

He throws like Uncle Rico.

uncle_rico_2.jpg

Uncle Rico clearly has a far better throwing motion.

I think Shawn Watson was such an offensive genius that it made Taylor look like a more polished passer last year. ( I need the dude with the "insert sarcasm here" smiley to go ahead and put one right here......I don't know how to.)

Personally I don't think those videos show enough to really give a good analysis. To me, his throwing motion and footwork hasn't changed from last year to this year. It's still pretty bad no matter how you look at it.

That's what I say in the video. The throws the OP pointed out may have been a few good ones out of the bunch (still not THAT good), but he appears to be just as poor with his mechanics, not really getting any worse or better.

Footwork is a bigger problem than his arm. Taylor is incredibly fast, but he doesn't seem instincitvely quick, nor does he have the peripheral vision that helps him take a simple step or two to avoid a sack or stay with a pass play.

I still like watching him and think he can do great things. We conveniently forget that he's about the same place Eric Crouch, Scott Frost and Tommie Frazier were four games into their sophomore seasons. And I might take Taylor's overall passing ability over all three of those guys.

Footwork is a bigger problem than his arm. Taylor is incredibly fast, but he doesn't seem instincitvely quick, nor does he have the peripheral vision that helps him take a simple step or two to avoid a sack or stay with a pass play.

I still like watching him and think he can do great things. We conveniently forget that he's about the same place Eric Crouch, Scott Frost and Tommie Frazier were four games into their sophomore seasons. And I might take Taylor's overall passing ability over all three of those guys.

You need to rewatch Frazier's freshman year if you need to be reminded of the difference. He had a better O Line, but he was a very smooth operator of the option offense from pretty much the beginning.

Personally I don't think those videos show enough to really give a good analysis. To me, his throwing motion and footwork hasn't changed from last year to this year. It's still pretty bad no matter how you look at it.

That's what I say in the video. The throws the OP pointed out may have been a few good ones out of the bunch (still not THAT good), but he appears to be just as poor with his mechanics, not really getting any worse or better.

my appologies for not posting video over EVERY throw he made last year (these were just the easiest to find). as i said - taylor doesn't have a lot of "highlights" that involve throwing.

and to me personally - this year is a night/day difference. he may have had some issues w/ his accuracy/passing last year - but it's just f'n ugly this year.

You need to rewatch Frazier's freshman year if you need to be reminded of the difference. He had a better O Line, but he was a very smooth operator of the option offense from pretty much the beginning.

You might want to have actually seen him play. He's a career under 50% passing pct even with frequently throwing to WIDE-OPEN wrs (due to their superb run game).

Saying he had a better Oline is accurate but doesn't imply the MASSIVE difference in quality between those two Olines. It's about 10,000 times easier to be a "smooth operator" when you have one the best Olines in the history of cfb running over the defense like a Mercedes Benz over a paper clip.

You might want to have actually seen him play. He's a career under 50% passing pct even with frequently throwing to WIDE-OPEN wrs (due to their superb run game).

Saying he had a better Oline is accurate but doesn't imply the MASSIVE difference in quality between those two Olines. It's about 10,000 times easier to be a "smooth operator" when you have one the best Olines in the history of cfb running over the defense like a Mercedes Benz over a paper clip.

I will say bshirt, even when I disagree with you, I can appreciate how fervently you argue your point. Personally, I don't remember Tommy being as poor (throwing) as TM, but that has been a long time ago, and my memory is not what is used to be. But I can say with certainty, that I am old enough to have seen him play (along with Tagge, Feragamo, etc, and how many remember Travis Turner)

I will say bshirt, even when I disagree with you, I can appreciate how fervently you argue your point. Personally, I don't remember Tommy being as poor (throwing) as TM, but that has been a long time ago, and my memory is not what is used to be. But I can say with certainty, that I am old enough to have seen him play (along with Tagge, Feragamo, etc, and how many remember Travis Turner)

Heh......point well made my compadre'. Heck, half the time I can't remember my name and it's an excellent chance I'm off the mark to a large degree. Nevertheless, I do get my mouth in gear at times on these forums with little or no functional memory brain cells.

I too by miracle remember Tagge, Van Bronson (sp?) & the Jet. Murtaugh was my biggest hero. Of course I understand and agree that Tmart isn't a pimple on Feragamo's butt throwing the ball. Or Tagge's or Van Bronson's either. There's no denying that.

I could easily be wrong about Frazier's passing skills. I do recall me and my uncle laughing at some of his short sideline passes sailing twenty yds over his wr's head. We didn't care as we were crushing whoever it was anyway. :-) But maybe that was a fluke as of course everybody has bad throwing days now and then. For some reason I can recall clearly many, many of his option runs but few of his passes.

I would be very grateful if you would accept my sincere apology for being at times so abrasive.

GBR!!

Sam Keller had a really nice motion...

Want to see some really ugly throws? watch some scott frost highlights from 1997

seriously tho... He's a running quarterback - his motion works in his favor because DCs see the film and think he's not a threat to pass...next thing they know they've got half a hundred hung on them.

without all the drops, he'd be connecting 60% or better. so chillax and watch. RKII is not the answer.

In order to judge T-marts throwing motion you need to evaluate him in a practice situation. To critique his motion while going full speed in a game is not the best time. I am not saying he is a good passer. On golf central Tony Romo was asked to compare swinging a golf club in a tournament vs throwing a football in a game. He said the hip movement is the same but you can control your swing. However in a game situation no two throws are the sames. Angles and footwork are dictated by the guys around you.

The criticism of Taylor is over the top.

In order to judge T-marts throwing motion you need to evaluate him in a practice situation. To critique his motion while going full speed in a game is not the best time.

That... doesn't make any esnes

NFL combine. That is what Romo said. I have never played QB in my career.

Before I get so worried about his motion I would want to evaluate him during practice like the coaches get too. Picking a few plays and saying he has a bad throwing motion is not an accurate way to evaluate a QB. I doubt in practice Taylor misses wide open receivers routinely. His throwing motion could be less of a problem vs just poor decisions or not having the confidence to just let the ball go when he should.