Allegiances/Promises to Players

Do any of you guys think our staff has favorites or promised certain kids the chance to play? I'm not even completely sold on it but if I had to choose a few players they would be:

Stafford

Martinez

Fisher

Cassidy, former walk on but his athleticism is average.

It baffles me how its not Osborne and PJ in secondary. Courtney was our best safety last year and could lay the wood. What did he do to piss Bo off?

No, look, not to be "coach guy" but I have coached for a long time. I never have and don't know any coach that has done this.

It is really easy, coaches want to win and they play the guys they think will do the best job.

Are they always right? No, of course not. Do some guys suck in practice and do great in games? Of course! Does it sometimes take an injury for that next player to get in? Sure.

No. Osborne apparently has gotten himself into some trouble and that's why he isn't playing, which is a completely separate issue.

OK, Taylor has a lot more rope than any other guy on the team, but I always thought starting QBs and playing time was just different in nature, so I kinda get that.

No and honestly I watched PJ dog it on kick coverage. Dude had a chance at a tackle and he just watched a few other guys wrestle with the guy for a few seconds before they finally got him to the ground. Get the hell in there and hit someone! That's what we are lacking! I don't wanna see people hurt, but our guys need to literally play like they are going to end the guys career that is lined up across from them. They are going to hit him so hard.............he actually forgets who the **** he is! That's the swagger we are missing...........the level for comparison is the 90's teams. They had that type of attitude of "**** you, I don't like you and I'm going to kill you........why? Because I play for Nebraska that's why and your *** is mine!"

No and honestly I watched PJ dog it on kick coverage. Dude had a chance at a tackle and he just watched a few other guys wrestle with the guy for a few seconds before they finally got him to the ground. Get the hell in there and hit someone! That's what we are lacking! I don't wanna see people hurt, but our guys need to literally play like they are going to end the guys career that is lined up across from them. They are going to hit him so hard.............he actually forgets who the **** he is! That's the swagger we are missing...........the level for comparison is the 90's teams. They had that type of attitude of "**** you, I don't like you and I'm going to kill you........why? Because I play for Nebraska that's why and your *** is mine!"

ala Andrew Shanle

How does this seem so far fetched to you guys? Programs do this all the time. I've talked to recruits( in california) before on a personal level and guess what? All of them were promised something. I'm not saying we do this consistently or even at all but certain situations seem a little fishy at best. Taylor being the biggest. They talk like he's made this huge step at Qb but its obvious he hasn't and is that talk just a way of justifying their bad decision in playing him . I just wouldn't be surprised is what I'm saying. I don't want to believe it though.

I'm just trying to look at this at every angle and yes this still might be just a dumb thread.

How does this seem so far fetched to you guys? Programs do this all the time. I've talked to recruits( in california) before on a personal level and guess what? All of them were promised something. I'm not saying we do this consistently or even at all but certain situations seem a little fishy at best. Taylor being the biggest. They talk like he's made this huge step at Qb but its obvious he hasn't and is that talk just a way of justifying their bad decision in playing him . I just wouldn't be surprised is what I'm saying. I don't want to believe it though.

I'm just trying to look at this at every angle and yes this still might be just a dumb thread.

Ohhh, its promised, its just not followed through on 99.9% of the time. Its always promised.

"You have the skills to come in and start right away, I know you can be out there opening game, being the starting RB for ______________, I promise that you can do it"

Ohhh, its promised, its just not followed through on 99.9% of the time. Its always promised.

"You have the skills to come in and start right away, I know you can be out there opening game, being the starting RB for ______________, I promise that you can do it"

Well yeah of course. I hope you guys can just see where I'm coming from because I think its safe to say that many fans are still puzzled by some of the starters on both sides. Antonio tweeting his frustration kind of opened this idea for me.

Oh I get what you mean, but I just don't think promises have anything to do with it.

I do wonder why coaches are so high on some of their players. Lance Thorell, specifically. Do not understand this one at all. On that long touchdown run by Wilson that was called back due to a hold, Lance had an angle and could have charged on Wilson to take him out before the goalline. Instead, he pulled up and started jogging when Wilson was almost ten yards from the end zone, and watched him scoot in.

The very next play, he got abused in single coverage by a TE. That's not what dime backs are for!

Oh I get what you mean, but I just don't think promises have anything to do with it.

I do wonder why coaches are so high on some of their players. Lance Thorell, specifically. Do not understand this one at all. On that long touchdown run by Wilson that was called back due to a hold, Lance had an angle and could have charged on Wilson to take him out before the goalline. Instead, he pulled up and started jogging when Wilson was almost ten yards from the end zone, and watched him scoot in.

The very next play, he got abused in single coverage by a TE. That's not what dime backs are for!

Yeah i noticed that too. Man how good was that secondary last year... haha

Do any of you guys think our staff has favorites or promised certain kids the chance to play?

No.

That is not the character of this staff. Players have said numerous times over the past few years that the reason many of them have come to Nebraska was because nobody on the staff made any promises to them, they had to earn it. Bo has said many times that things are "black & white" with him. The best 11 that put in the work during practice on each side of the ball are the ones who play.