beck is getting too much heat

there's plenty of blame to go around in our first loss........pretty damn hard to condemn any one coach or one player for the season, based on this one game.

relax, let's see where the play calling and playmaking go from here........you would have thought we had lost our 3rd or 4th game based on this thread......

CHILL!

I wish he would have run on first down for two yards, second down for two yards and then had T-Mart throw a pick or incomplete on third down. Then of course punt. All this while the other team racks up points. It sounds like everyone one wants Watson back. The sad part is they don't even know it.

The lucky thing for me is that I have no doubt we will see this at somepoint during the year. An OC that has weapons and no one to get it to them....poor guy.

I wish he would have run on first down for two yards, second down for two yards and then had T-Mart throw a pick or incomplete on third down. Then of course punt. All this while the other team racks up points. It sounds like everyone one wants Watson back. The sad part is they don't even know it.

The lucky thing for me is that I have no doubt we will see this at somepoint during the year. An OC that has weapons and no one to get it to them....poor guy.

No, not at all. It's called balance, which, after the 1st quarter, we didn't show.

I agree with this. While Beck may have called a long string of passing plays, the fact of the matter is we didn't execute.

A point for consideration --- a coach who calls a general game plan that is founded upon the need to execute plays that his players are incapable of executing with sufficient regularity is a coach who is calling the wrong game plan. That is, it may be true that receivers were open all night long... in fact that was true... but the QB must have time to read the field and check down and assess who among the primary, the secondary and the tertiary receivers to throw to --- but our OL is incapable of providing the QB that time --- and since our QB does not have good field vision to begin with and tends to lock on one guy and one guy only (and does not even attempt to locate secondary receivers) then the fact that receivers are open is not really relevant in that the QB either never sees them (because he either never looks for them or has no time to find them). This can be argued as an execution problem... sure... but why call plays that your players cannot, given their skill set, execute.

Play to what strengths your guys have and do not ask them, by design, to do what they cannot do. Give Rex the rock and pound, pound, pound, and, every once in a while, go play action. That seems to be the only context in which NU can pass effectively --- if it is set up by the run. So attempt to set up the run. If they continually stuff the run and you are forced to pass... well such is life --- but do not design a game plan where we throw the ball as the staple of what we do --- not with this OL or with this QB.

And yes... the offensive coordinator is responsible. Now ... should we fry the guy or ridicule him? Of course not. But he is the one calling the plays and one need not be an arm chair coach looking back to know that focusing on a passing game will not work for NU. At the very least, running the ball eats up clock better and keeps our defense off the field more (man, can't believe I am saying that --- that I fear our D on the field against anyone --- how is our D so bad?!!)

Against OSU man... I hope it is the Rex show.

The thing is, Beck had the offense clicking to start the game. A couple of penalties, a couple of stuff runs and he completely abandoned what had already put 14 points on the board, and instead made the worst possible use of his resources by putting Taylor in the pocket over and over and over again. He deserves most of the criticism he's getting.

That said, I love pretty much everything he has done with the offense so far. Those option/screen pass plays he ran with Turner... that is great stuff. More of that type of play calling please, and less throwing over and over again into defenses with 7 and 8 guys dropping back.

The thing is, Beck had the offense clicking to start the game. A couple of penalties, a couple of stuff runs and he completely abandoned what had already put 14 points on the board, and instead made the worst possible use of his resources by putting Taylor in the pocket over and over and over again. He deserves most of the criticism he's getting.

That said, I love pretty much everything he has done with the offense so far. Those option/screen pass plays he ran with Turner... that is great stuff. More of that type of play calling please, and less throwing over and over again into defenses with 7 and 8 guys dropping back.

When did this start?

Exactly! He is the main reason for the meltdown. I can handle getting beat....I can handle getting beat soundly...I can't handle not giving our guys a chance to succeed. Why are people so fascinated with throwing the football? Turn it around. If we had say Kellen Moore and Justin Blackmon with the rest of our recievers and a lousy set of running backs that fumbled all the time and suddenly we RUN 16 of 17 plays would that be a problem?

Some of our best play makers are at the receiver position. I've been hearing complaints the whole season about Turner and Reed not getting the ball enough. Quincy Enunwa and Kenny Bell are also good players. And now when we try to get them the ball its "were a run first team and should not be passing that much" Can't have it both ways people, make up your minds. What do you want? To get playmakers the ball or hand off to Burkhead or run a crap option to the weak side every play?

You can easily get playmakers the ball without throwing into coverage or asking your rattled qb to sit in a pocket with no playaction to slow down the rush. Try a screen, a shovel pass, a reverse for turner and the backs. Try jailbreak screens and bubble screens and quick slants for the recievers. Option pass the deep ball to reed. Good gawd you act like the only way a reciever can touch the ball is if it's been thrown to him 15 yards downfield. My criticism of beck is for those 15 or 16 of 17 pass plays. That's not balance and we didn't need to panic. So yes we can have it both ways. Run the ball and sprinkle in passing plays down the field and into the flats....

Exactly! He is the main reason for the meltdown. I can handle getting beat....I can handle getting beat soundly...I can't handle not giving our guys a chance to succeed. Why are people so fascinated with throwing the football? Turn it around. If we had say Kellen Moore and Justin Blackmon with the rest of our recievers and a lousy set of running backs that fumbled all the time and suddenly we RUN 16 of 17 plays would that be a problem?

Some of our best play makers are at the receiver position. I've been hearing complaints the whole season about Turner and Reed not getting the ball enough. Quincy Enunwa and Kenny Bell are also good players. And now when we try to get them the ball its "were a run first team and should not be passing that much" Can't have it both ways people, make up your minds. What do you want? To get playmakers the ball or hand off to Burkhead or run a crap option to the weak side every play?

You can easily get playmakers the ball without throwing into coverage or asking your rattled qb to sit in a pocket with no playaction to slow down the rush. Try a screen, a shovel pass, a reverse for turner and the backs. Try jailbreak screens and bubble screens and quick slants for the recievers. Option pass the deep ball to reed. Good gawd you act like the only way a reciever can touch the ball is if it's been thrown to him 15 yards downfield. My criticism of beck is for those 15 or 16 of 17 pass plays. That's not balance and we didn't need to panic. So yes we can have it both ways. Run the ball and sprinkle in passing plays down the field and into the flats....

Or you could dump it off to your WIDE FRICKEN OPEN running back.

And for the sake of balance, while I really thought Beck made some bad choices getting away from what was working on offense, I also remember that the first and third interceptions in particular were because Taylor threw a couple of wildly inaccurate passes, so it's tough to pin that on Beck. Hopefully everybody learns from their mistakes this week and we go out there and tear tOSU a new one.

I agree with this. While Beck may have called a long string of passing plays, the fact of the matter is we didn't execute.

I'm usually a proponent of the we didn't execute mindset too.

However, I still do put quite a bit of this on Beck. If anything, I think the outcome of the game was 70-30 in Beck's favor. As I have said in other threads, it should be painfully obvious by now that Martinez just simply can't run this offense effectively week to week if he is being asked to pass 20 or more times. And as bshirt so rightly pointed out in another thread, when was the last time we ever had a running quarterback at Nebraska throw 12 times out of 15 plays? Even in hurry up situations we stuck to creatively running the football whether it was shovel passes, the option game or direct snaps.

I believe this is the formula for our success this year:

1) Pass only 10-15 times a game with Martinez.

2) On those pass plays, make them high percentage chance throws or off of play action. If you want him to throw deep, make sure it is faked to the back first. If you want him to throw timing routes, make them easy timing routes. Or, throw in more WR screens or short dump off passes to the back.

3) Pound...the...rock, but do it creatively. Against UTC, we pulled out what I believe is called the diamond formation, where we had Martinez flanked by Burkhead and then two of our promising freshman running backs. Where has that formation been since? The play calling possibilities are multiple out of that set.

If I'm not mistaken, every game we have pulled away in this year has been because of our run game. Wyoming and Washington are the two most notable examples. It's what we have to do with Martinez, who I still think is a better option than Carnes right now.

I know Beck should have run the ball more, but his plays he could would have worked if taylor made the proper reads. There was always a wr or rb wide open in all those passing plays I know for a fact that i saw a guy wide open during the plays where martinez threw an interception. The plays were decent play calls but just poor execution, i.e. martinez looking at one wr the whole time and telegraphing his throws.

It is the job of the OC to put the QB in a position to succeed. Beck did not do that at all. Martinez is not a great passer, and Beck tried to make him one. That was first call after the half was one of the stupidest calls ive ever seen. Rex should of had 15-18 touches at half. They couldnt stop us early and we went away from it. Beck called a horrible game, but having said that, I like Beck and think he has a bright future.

I know Beck should have run the ball more, but his plays he could would have worked if taylor made the proper reads. There was always a wr or rb wide open in all those passing plays I know for a fact that i saw a guy wide open during the plays where martinez threw an interception. The plays were decent play calls but just poor execution, i.e. martinez looking at one wr the whole time and telegraphing his throws.

It is the job of the OC to put the QB in a position to succeed. Beck did not do that at all. Martinez is not a great passer, and Beck tried to make him one. That was first call after the half was one of the stupidest calls ive ever seen. Rex should of had 15-18 touches at half. They couldnt stop us early and we went away from it. Beck called a horrible game, but having said that, I like Beck and think he has a bright future.

Exactly, and I don't think people should lose sight of this. Beck has shown already this season he will stick with something if it works. He made a bad mistake against Wisconsin and will hopefully learn from it, unlike his predecessor.

I think that is pie in the sky. He made a error that cost a major game. There is nothing shown that it will change only our hope. I hope it does, because I am sick of hearing how bad Martinez is. Give him the opportunity to do what he does best, look out for him and do not put him this situation.

We will know down the road if Beck is the answer or not. Still have doubts, but will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Those screaming for a QB change, it is obvious we have no one that is better. The coaches should know this, so I will accept it and cheer for Taylor and hope things turn around for him. He has really be come a catalyst for this program. I truly feel sorry for him. He can not do anything right. I hope we do not destroy him. He has talent, but the coaches jobs are also to develop that talent, not hinder it.