beck is getting too much heat

Beck somehow forgot we're "run first" NU and decided we're really the pirate's Texas Tech. With a lesser opponent it probably wouldn't have hurt so bad. But the 1st game in the Big10 and vs a ranked opponent? On the road at night?

Ouch.

Omg please for the love of god stop saying this! We threw 22 freaking passes, not 60!!!! Get over it, you still have your run first NU, but you also don't have a QB. We were taking what the defense was giving us. They were daring us to pass. Complete passes and you will win, good luck. And we failed big time. But if I read anything about "pirate" or Mike Leach Texas Tech passing game one more time in one of your posts Im going to jump off a freaking cliff.

The job of a coach, is to put his players in a position to win, within their abilities. He has not caught enough grief over this. He is the main reason for the melt down, no one else. All here know that Taylor is not a drop back passer, his best passes are play action, but you have establish you can run the ball for them to be affective and take some of the quick preasure off of him.

I am not sold on Beck, never have been. I hope he learns from this gigantic mistake and not be so sturbborn. We need to work as a team, you take what we are capable of taking. Rex should have been used way more during the game. Then and only then use the pass play.

The job of a coach, is to put his players in a position to win, within their abilities. He has not caught enough grief over this. He is the main reason for the melt down, no one else. All here know that Taylor is not a drop back passer, his best passes are play action, but you have establish you can run the ball for them to be affective and take some of the quick preasure off of him.

I am not sold on Beck, never have been. I hope he learns from this gigantic mistake and not be so sturbborn. We need to work as a team, you take what we are capable of taking. Rex should have been used way more during the game. Then and only then use the pass play.

Then why is he our QB then? Like some other people have said, put him at slot receiver. Throw some screens to him and let him use his speed in open field. He is a liabilty at the QB position. I don't know if Carnes is the answer, but we need to get some true dual threat QBs to come here.

• Fire 1

This is basically what I've been saying all along. Taylor executes on his passes, Beck's game plan advances without a hitch. Who knows how his game plan changed when Taylor turned the ball over. Maybe we should have run the ball more, but fact of the matter is, the turnovers forced Beck to change his game plan into something other than what he had planned.

But you have to play call to your players strength. You wouldn't expect Georgia Tech or Navy to call 12 straight 3 step passes, then get mad when they "don't execute". That's not what they, do, and similarly, that's not what we do.

Exactly! He is the main reason for the meltdown. I can handle getting beat....I can handle getting beat soundly...I can't handle not giving our guys a chance to succeed. Why are people so fascinated with throwing the football? Turn it around. If we had say Kellen Moore and Justin Blackmon with the rest of our recievers and a lousy set of running backs that fumbled all the time and suddenly we RUN 16 of 17 plays would that be a problem?

Beck somehow forgot we're "run first" NU and decided we're really the pirate's Texas Tech. With a lesser opponent it probably wouldn't have hurt so bad. But the 1st game in the Big10 and vs a ranked opponent? On the road at night?

Ouch.

This is an incredibly true statement. Hey bshirt, how about that, we agree!

Ouch.

This is an incredibly true statement. Hey bshirt, how about that, we agree!

Hard to believe, huh? :-)

Oh....we're still here. Even after the huge humiliation.

GBR!!

I would like to think that they are still trying to gain some confidence with TMart and how he adjusts to adversity. He will not grow as a player if the coaches keep him in his comfort level. Their is a lot of talent on this team, but something is not gelling on the coaching staff to put it together.

Exactly! He is the main reason for the meltdown. I can handle getting beat....I can handle getting beat soundly...I can't handle not giving our guys a chance to succeed. Why are people so fascinated with throwing the football? Turn it around. If we had say Kellen Moore and Justin Blackmon with the rest of our recievers and a lousy set of running backs that fumbled all the time and suddenly we RUN 16 of 17 plays would that be a problem?

Some of our best play makers are at the receiver position. I've been hearing complaints the whole season about Turner and Reed not getting the ball enough. Quincy Enunwa and Kenny Bell are also good players. And now when we try to get them the ball its "were a run first team and should not be passing that much" Can't have it both ways people, make up your minds. What do you want? To get playmakers the ball or hand off to Burkhead or run a crap option to the weak side every play?

Ouch.

Omg please for the love of god stop saying this! We threw 22 freaking passes, not 60!!!! Get over it, you still have your run first NU, but you also don't have a QB. We were taking what the defense was giving us. They were daring us to pass. Complete passes and you will win, good luck. And we failed big time. But if I read anything about "pirate" or Mike Leach Texas Tech passing game one more time in one of your posts Im going to jump off a freaking cliff.

We threw 15 passes on 17 downs when the defense was NOT stopping our run game. If that's not being Texas Tech, what is? Tmart & SuperRex both already ran in TDs and we're in the game (even with no defense). Total disaster.

However, I do NOT want you to jump off a cliff. Have a beer.....it works for me.

GBR!!

Some of our best play makers are at the receiver position. I've been hearing complaints the whole season about Turner and Reed not getting the ball enough. Quincy Enunwa and Kenny Bell are also good players. And now when we try to get them the ball its "were a run first team and should not be passing that much" Can't have it both ways people, make up your minds. What do you want? To get playmakers the ball or hand off to Burkhead or run a crap option to the weak side every play?

There are ways to get Turner and Reed the ball without scrapping the run game completely like Beck did on Saturday. Turner is an athlete that doesn’t just need the ball thrown to him to make plays. Reed is a stud when we run play action not when we go 4 wide and he is trying to beat a DB one on one.

Also as of right now Burkhead is at least a guarantee to get positive yards. What is wrong with turning around and handing it to him 3 straight times at 4-5 yards a pop? That moves the chains, eats up clock and gives our struggling defense a chance to catch its breath. Going out there and throwing three terrible incomplete passes or Martinez panicking which results in taking a sack which turn into 3 in outs and 50 second drives.

Yes you can have it both ways the OC just has to be smart about it and Saturday he was not smart about it. He crapped the bed and deserves all the guff he is getting over it.

Beck somehow forgot we're "run first" NU and decided we're really the pirate's Texas Tech. With a lesser opponent it probably wouldn't have hurt so bad. But the 1st game in the Big10 and vs a ranked opponent? On the road at night? Ouch.
We threw 15 passes on 17 downs when the defense was NOT stopping our run game. If that's not being Texas Tech, what is? Tmart & SuperRex both already ran in TDs and we're in the game (even with no defense). Total disaster. However, I do NOT want you to jump off a cliff. Have a beer.....it works for me. GBR!!

22 is the total number of passes Martinez actually got off, that isn’t the number of times he actually dropped back. He ended up with 20 carries but a lot of those weren’t on designed running plays.

Ouch.

We threw 15 passes on 17 downs when the defense was NOT stopping our run game. If that's not being Texas Tech, what is? Tmart & SuperRex both already ran in TDs and we're in the game (even with no defense). Total disaster.

However, I do NOT want you to jump off a cliff. Have a beer.....it works for me.

GBR!!

You really should check my breakdown thread to back up your claim as to what the defense was and wasn't stopping at that time. And that's including about half of those pass plays you mention.

It's college football. The TE is always open, and there's 3 or 4 blown coverages a game. so yes, pass plays are to be had with proper execution. Fact is, Beck KNOWS what he has in Martinez. Like what has been said many times before, Taylor makes up his mind immediately where the ball is going, no matter what. Beck, like we did, has seen this early in the year. That doesn't mean you have to necessarily abandon the passing game, but when you have a quarterback that gets nervous in the pocket and has trouble reading the entire field, what do you do? You roll him out and cut the field down to size, simplify his reads. Not to mention, by booting Taylor out, he pretty much has a run pass option every time. Taylor does not throw well from the pocket. Taylor does not scramble out of the pocket very well when protection breaks down. I don't really see what the point is in keeping him in the pocket. PERIOD.

Notice I'm not saying flat out that Taylor CAN'T throw the ball, or shouldn't be allowed to throw the ball. I'm simply asking the one guy who's paid to understand what he has in his quarterback to scheme around his strengths, and avoid his weaknesses.

There are ways to get Turner and Reed the ball without scrapping the run game completely like Beck did on Saturday. Turner is an athlete that doesn’t just need the ball thrown to him to make plays. Reed is a stud when we run play action not when we go 4 wide and he is trying to beat a DB one on one.

It's called a screen pass, and apparently, Beck thinks it's a unicorn. Callahan was a terrible head coach, but the guys knew when to call trick plays, and how to use a screen.

• Fire 1