Phillip Dillard calls for the replacement of Martinez at QB

Brion Carnes should be starting right now. Martinez can lose you a game faster than winning you one. Carnes is still a good runner and by far the better passer. Have Carnes hand the ball off to our great backfield, and play action out of the spread or under center to our playmakers at wideout and tight end.

Ill take consistency over a few big runs a game. People will still say he has more experience, he's SO fast, who gives a shi* the kid can't play QB at this level. Pelini won't take him out as we've seen, even when he has one ankle.

No, he shouldn't. Give me one valid reason that favors Carnes starting over Martinez this weekend. All you know about Carnes is that he's a freshman and he had a good practice spring game

You have no idea how good of a passer Carnes is. I would agree that he looked better in the spring game, but that was the spring game. Your gameplan for successfully using Carnes is the exact gameplan I've been saying we should be using with Martinez - hand the ball off and use play action to get the ball to our receivers.

The truth of the matter is that we don't know what kind of a player Carnes is yet, and he needs mental reps more than anything else right now. What happens if Carnes comes in and struggles? Do we go back to flip-flopping quarterbacks like we did all year in 2009, and risk shattering Carnes confidence like we practically did with Green?

It's a dangerous game doing what you're suggesting. This staff has already made quarterback mistakes in the past, and I'm sure they're not keen on doing it again anytime soon.

"It is better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt" -Abraham Lincoln

PhilDill's sophomore year was utterly forgettable. He contributed to the single worst defense this program has witnessed in 40 years that year. I do not recall a single former player publicly calling for his benching that year, or any other of his sad career. Martinez is at least trying, but making bad decisions while doing it. Dillard was a case of absolute lack of effort. He's embarrassing himself with these tweets. Sad.

This is exactly what I don't get. Dillard was an important part of the defense '09, but other than that he was completely underwhelming and was a bust early in his career. He has no room to talk about giving up when he was part of the defense that completely gave up in '07.

• Fire 1

What benefit does it give for the whole neighborhood to know that you hate your brother's wife and wish he would divorce her? Who wins in that scenario?

Sometimes being a brother is calling things the way they are--especially if your brother can't see that for himself--even when it's painful or possibly even destructive to do so.

Being part of a family isn't always convenient or politically correct.

So you advocate standing on the street corner shouting to the neighborhood the problems that your brother is having in his home? I do not.

If criticism by former players should be kept in house and not in the public, what should Jason Peter, Joel Makovicka and that other boob Hoskinson talk about on their radio or TV shows?

I know that Makovicka and Hoskinson have said stuff on their show that is way worse then what Dillard tweeted.

I guess I just touched on this, but the crucial distinction is the personal vitriol that Dillard has towards Taylor, which is evident in comments he has made over a number of years. Unsolicited, unprompted criticism of Taylor that has a heavy bent towards Taylor as a leader, Taylor as a person, ect.

Peter and Mackovicka are payed to analyze the state of Nebraska football. If they're being honest, they'll have critical takes on areas of deficiencies that they see. That is entirely different from taking time out of your busy schedule as a professional football player to let everyone know, again, that you don't like Taylor Martinez and you personally think he sucks. To me there is a big difference between the two.

And that is fine but should it matter? They all have the right to voice their opinions on things whether it is their job or whether they are sitting on their couch watching the game and tweeting.

If Dillard’s critical statements are based off of disdain that he has for Martinez on a personal level then that is stupid. If it is based off of a being critical of his actual QB skills and nothing more then I don’t think he did anything wrong besides the tweeting thing because I think twitter is dumb.

If criticism by former players should be kept in house and not in the public, what should Jason Peter, Joel Makovicka and that other boob Hoskinson talk about on their radio or TV shows?

I know that Makovicka and Hoskinson have said stuff on their show that is way worse then what Dillard tweeted.

Once again, you fail to have much of a point. Are you asking if others being wrong makes Dillard right? If you need help with that, ask the next kindergartener about the "two wrongs" concept.

But, once again, your post smacks more of straw man than fact. What, exactly, did Jason Peter say that equates to Dillard? What, exactly, has Makovicka said?

What benefit does it give for the whole neighborhood to know that you hate your brother's wife and wish he would divorce her? Who wins in that scenario?

Sometimes being a brother is calling things the way they are--especially if your brother can't see that for himself--even when it's painful or possibly even destructive to do so.

Being part of a family isn't always convenient or politically correct.

So you advocate standing on the street corner shouting to the neighborhood the problems that your brother is having in his home? I do not.

No, but I never advocated the channel of communication used, and I probably should had clarified that. And I'll agree that the tone of Dillard's message leaves something to be desired, but it's truly not that different than what we've discussed here or what has been discussed on the radio by other former players.

Hell, we had a whole thread dedicated to comparing Martinez's throwing style to that of Uncle Rico's. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the passing prowess of the player being compared to said fictional character, to say the least.

Once again, you fail to have much of a point. Are you asking if others being wrong makes Dillard right? If you need help with that, ask the next kindergartener about the "two wrongs" concept.

But, once again, your post smacks more of straw man than fact. What, exactly, did Jason Peter say that equates to Dillard? What, exactly, has Makovicka said?

once again going personal. typical knapp - getting all worked up. he was talking about someone like herbstreit. should he not be allowed to discuss Ohio State? you forget that dillard is a former player. He can say whatever he wants.

• Fire 4

No, but I never advocated the channel of communication used, and I probably should had clarified that. And I'll agree that the tone of Dillard's message leaves something to be desired, but it's truly not that different than what we've discussed here or what has been discussed on the radio by other former players.

Hell, we had a whole thread dedicated to comparing Martinez's throwing style to that of Uncle Rico's. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the passing prowess of the player being compared to said fictional character, to say the least.

But that's just it. I have ZERO problem with what Dillard said. I have a problem WHERE he said it. Say it to Taylor, say it to your teammates, or say it to the guys currently on the team. But don't say it to the public, because it's none of the public's business.

once again going personal. typical knapp - getting all worked up. he was talking about someone like herbstreit. should he not be allowed to discuss Ohio State? you forget that dillard is a former player. He can say whatever he wants.

So, I shouldn't have gone personal (although you do it often as well, kettle) but it's OK for Dillard to have gone public?

Interesting that you mention that.

It's almost - ALMOST - as if there was a reason I posted that. Hmmmm.......

So, I shouldn't have gone personal (although you do it often as well, kettle) but it's OK for Dillard to have gone public?

Interesting that you mention that.

It's almost - ALMOST - as if there was a reason I posted that. Hmmmm.......

yup

• Fire 2

If Dillard’s critical statements are based off of disdain that he has for Martinez on a personal level then that is stupid. If it is based off of a being critical of his actual QB skills and nothing more then I don’t think he did anything wrong besides the tweeting thing because I think twitter is dumb.

I think it is based off his personal disdain for Taylor - something which he might not be alone in, from players that have been in the program in '09 and '10 but have graduated and moved on since. Dillard absolutely has the right to feel that way, but I don't think he should be dragging this out in public either.

I don't think there's any chance of it being the latter, because even if he did just want to critique Taylor's QB skills, it was a pretty harsh and outright attack. Clearly meant to ridicule and to be inflammatory.

then don't follow it. you make it your business when you read it. it's his opinion. who cares where he decides to share it.

I do not follow Dillard. I read it in this thread.

and have now dedicated 20 posts to the tweet...clearly making it your business. who really cares what dillard thinks. why is it such a big deal? frankly it's nice to see someone that tells it like it is.

• Fire 3