Phillip Dillard calls for the replacement of Martinez at QB

then don't follow it. you make it your business when you read it. it's his opinion. who cares where he decides to share it.

I do not follow Dillard. I read it in this thread.

and have now dedicated 20 posts to the tweet...clearly making it your business. who really cares what dillard thinks. why is it such a big deal? frankly it's nice to see someone that tells it like it is.

What's your point? That I can't discuss this?

It's kinda a big deal. Dillard's a recent former player who shared a locker room with Taylor, one that obviously didn't like the then-freshman too much, and he's airing all of that dissent out in a public and ugly way.It invites controversy and scrutiny to be placed on the current team. He's really doing a disservice to the team right now, and all because he doesn't have a grasp of the kind of medium that Twitter is.

• Fire 3

It's kinda a big deal. Dillard's a recent former player who shared a locker room with Taylor, one that obviously didn't like the then-freshman too much, and he's airing all of that dissent out in a public and ugly way.It invites controversy and scrutiny to be placed on the current team. He's really doing a disservice to the team right now, and all because he doesn't have a grasp of the kind of medium that Twitter is.

My point exactly from the earlier post. He is miss guided, he needs to rip the defense.

understandable. if it's a personal issue between Dillard and Taylor then I can see that. but to come to that conclusion I'd be making a big assumption. Taylor was a scout team WR at the time Dillard was there. Maybe some of the issues the seniors dillard was buddies w/ last year caused Dillard to dislike Taylor, but I wouldn't think it would come from a few month with little interaction. I have a friend on the team who was on that same scout team w/ Taylor. I asked him about Suh a few times that year and he said he never once (in 4 months) spoke with Suh or interacted with him in any way. I just don't think Taylor would have had a lot of interaction with Dillard to cause this much dislike...so I'm just taking his tweet as him calling for a new QB in the heat of a game when he was probably a little emotional watching us get our butt kicked - not him trying to start a TMZ-esque pissing match with our current QB.

• Fire 1

I dont think Dillard said anything wrong, its no worse than what we say on this message board.

WHAT Dillard said isn't wrong. He just said it in the wrong place. That kind of frankness doesn't belong out there publicly, it belongs in the locker room, or hanging with your guys. That's the only reason he's taking heat.

What would we feel about this team if all the players aired their concerns/grievances publicly? There are a LOT of things going on in that locker room that we know nothing about, probably a lot that would frankly shock Husker Nation. It's best we don't know because we'd overreact, kinda like we overreact to a lot of other things.

But all hes saying is that taylor should be benched. Its no different than a commentator saying a qb should be benched. I still dont see how hes doing a disservice to the team though.

I've said this several times already - this is in-house stuff. Let's say your brother and his wife are going through a bad time right now. Do you think it's constructive to discuss it on Twitter? Is it advisable? Is it your business to do that? Or should you keep family matters behind closed doors?

What benefit does it give for the whole neighborhood to know that you hate your brother's wife and wish he would divorce her? Who wins in that scenario?

You cant compare serious personal stuff to somene saying a qb should be benched. What effect does his statement have on the team? It has very little impact because one person cant persuade the views of others on the team. All he said was "taylor should be benched." How is that hurting martinez and the team? If what Dillard says impacts martinez or the team then there were problems to begin with and the locker room already had problems..

• Fire 1

I dont think Dillard said anything wrong, its no worse than what we say on this message board.

WHAT Dillard said isn't wrong. He just said it in the wrong place. That kind of frankness doesn't belong out there publicly, it belongs in the locker room, or hanging with your guys. That's the only reason he's taking heat.

What would we feel about this team if all the players aired their concerns/grievances publicly? There are a LOT of things going on in that locker room that we know nothing about, probably a lot that would frankly shock Husker Nation. It's best we don't know because we'd overreact, kinda like we overreact to a lot of other things.

Exactly. It was the wrong forum to voice his displeasure, this is why twitter and facebook etc are stupid. Especially when you are an athlete (or ex-athlete) you still represent a university long after you are gone. Pretty sure he could call up the athletic department and tell them that. Bo'd probably tell him to get bent and even if he was here still he'd have no say, but thanks for the call.

Just like people here are basically doing.

If criticism by former players should be kept in house and not in the public, what should Jason Peter, Joel Makovicka and that other boob Hoskinson talk about on their radio or TV shows? I know that Makovicka and Hoskinson have said stuff on their show that is way worse then what Dillard tweeted.
Once again, you fail to have much of a point. Are you asking if others being wrong makes Dillard right? If you need help with that, ask the next kindergartener about the "two wrongs" concept. But, once again, your post smacks more of straw man than fact. What, exactly, did Jason Peter say that equates to Dillard? What, exactly, has Makovicka said?

Both Hoskinson and Makovicka last year said and I quote “I hate Shawn Watson” multiple times on their radio show. Far worse then saying bench Martinez IMO.

I also wasn’t trying to make too much of a point, I was just wondering if the “keeping it in house” stance worked for all former players or if it was just for the ones that attacked Martinez.

Remove Martinez from Dillards tweet and insert a criticism of Cassidy, Stafford, Green or Evans. Does anyone care then?

FWIW: I will make sure to ask my daughter when I get home from work what she thinks is worse, Phillip Dillard saying Martinez should be benched or Dumb and Dumber saying they hate Shawn Watson. I’m sure she will say Dillard though because she couldn’t stand the WCO.

Both Hoskinson and Makovicka last year said and I quote “I hate Shawn Watson” multiple times on their radio show. Far worse then saying bench Martinez IMO.

I also wasn’t trying to make too much of a point, I was just wondering if the “keeping it in house” stance worked for all former players or if it was just for the ones that attacked Martinez.

Remove Martinez from Dillards tweet and insert a criticism of Cassidy, Stafford, Green or Evans. Does anyone care then?

FWIW: I will make sure to ask my daughter when I get home from work what she thinks is worse, Phillip Dillard saying Martinez should be benched or Dumb and Dumber saying they hate Shawn Watson. I’m sure she will say Dillard though because she couldn’t stand the WCO.

The difference between "I hate Shawn Watson" and what Dillard tweeted is that Shawn Watson is a professional and Martinez is a college student. Dillard is also a professional as well, for that matter. I don't know what the context of the "I hate Shawn Watson" comments were, so it's hard to discuss. If they were saying they hated the results Watson's offense put on the field that would be very different than saying they hated him as a person. If it's a personal grudge they have, the radio isn't the place to air it, and it's (in my opinion) way worse than Dillard tweeting what he tweeted. Far worse.

If Dillard had tweeted the same words about Cassidy, Stafford, Green or Evans I would respond the same way. Wrong is wrong is wrong, and it doesn't matter if I like one guy more than the other. For the record, I have no preference between Cassidy, Stafford, Green, Evans or Martinez. They're all wearing the N on their jerseys, so I'm behind all of them.

I'm sure your daughter will give you the same answer mine gave me: We need to run more play-action, short passes, geared toward Martinez' strengths and shelve the long-ball until defenses totally sell out to stop the run - which should be our primary focus, via misdirection and the Zone Read. Of course, she's eight, so what does she know?

The difference between "I hate Shawn Watson" and what Dillard tweeted is that Shawn Watson is a professional and Martinez is a college student. Dillard is also a professional as well, for that matter. I don't know what the context of the "I hate Shawn Watson" comments were, so it's hard to discuss. If they were saying they hated the results Watson's offense put on the field that would be very different than saying they hated him as a person. If it's a personal grudge they have, the radio isn't the place to air it, and it's (in my opinion) way worse than Dillard tweeting what he tweeted. Far worse.

If Dillard had tweeted the same words about Cassidy, Stafford, Green or Evans I would respond the same way. Wrong is wrong is wrong, and it doesn't matter if I like one guy more than the other. For the record, I have no preference between Cassidy, Stafford, Green, Evans or Martinez. They're all wearing the N on their jerseys, so I'm behind all of them.

I'm sure your daughter will give you the same answer mine gave me: We need to run more play-action, short passes, geared toward Martinez' strengths and shelve the long-ball until defenses totally sell out to stop the run - which should be our primary focus, via misdirection and the Zone Read. Of course, she's eight, so what does she know?

Give me a break about him being a college kid. As a college kid, you have enough common sense to know that youre going to be criticized at a big time college. You're telling me that a college kid goes to a big time football school and NOT get criticized? It comes with the territory and every college football player at a big time college knows that.

I fail to see why Dillard isn't entitled to voice his opinion just because he used to play for Nebraska.

Let's be clear: he's not personally attacking Taylor. He's voicing his opinion on what he thinks is best for the team. It doesn't matter if Taylor's a pro or an amateur. He's an athlete. A public figure. Public figures invite public scrutiny. There are lines that you don't cross (making it personal), but if you think you know what's best for the team, and you're not afraid to say it, what's the big deal?

Good God. Some of you people care more about this than Taylor probably does.