Phillip Dillard calls for the replacement of Martinez at QB

"It is better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt" -Abraham Lincoln

PhilDill's sophomore year was utterly forgettable. He contributed to the single worst defense this program has witnessed in 40 years that year. I do not recall a single former player publicly calling for his benching that year, or any other of his sad career. Martinez is at least trying, but making bad decisions while doing it. Dillard was a case of absolute lack of effort. He's embarrassing himself with these tweets. Sad.

The dude was drafted into the NFL. Doesn't matter what he did as a sophomore. He was a sophomore on one of the worst teams NU has fielded. He wasn't handling the rock on every offensive play, like Taylor does. He is a very visible player saying what needs to be said.

Taylor is not a QB. He is a extremely talented fast straight line runner. Taylor is surrounded by a lot of weapons. He is calling out the staff from a distance. Bo has put his job at NU on Taylor. If Taylor is successful than he stays. If Taylor to lose the big games, Bo will be forced out. Solich found that out. 4 loss seasons for a top 10 talent is not going to get at NU.

When has NU had this much young talent and overall talent at WR, RB and TE's and Special Teams? It is all lost if the QB can't get the ball to the right personnel.

I don't give a damn if he's drafted into the NFL. What does that have to do with throwing the QB of his alma mater under the bus in public? Do you see Suh doing that? Do you see Crouch doing that? Since when did getting drafted into the NFL validate a college career? Do you know how many brilliant college players never get drafted? The NFL has NOTHING to do with how good a player is in college.

Suh is too busy winning for my Detroit Lions ;). TBH, dillard had horrible coaching most of his years, he was a beast his senior season and that was because of coaching. Suh, Prince, etc wouldnt have been as good if they still had callahan and cosgrove

I dont think Dillard said anything wrong, its no worse than what we say on this message board.

WHAT Dillard said isn't wrong. He just said it in the wrong place. That kind of frankness doesn't belong out there publicly, it belongs in the locker room, or hanging with your guys. That's the only reason he's taking heat.

What would we feel about this team if all the players aired their concerns/grievances publicly? There are a LOT of things going on in that locker room that we know nothing about, probably a lot that would frankly shock Husker Nation. It's best we don't know because we'd overreact, kinda like we overreact to a lot of other things.

knapplc is completely spot on. Also, look at how we overreacted, trying to draw any conclusions possible out of post-game tweets players had last week.

I dont think Dillard said anything wrong, its no worse than what we say on this message board.

WHAT Dillard said isn't wrong. He just said it in the wrong place. That kind of frankness doesn't belong out there publicly, it belongs in the locker room, or hanging with your guys. That's the only reason he's taking heat.

What would we feel about this team if all the players aired their concerns/grievances publicly? There are a LOT of things going on in that locker room that we know nothing about, probably a lot that would frankly shock Husker Nation. It's best we don't know because we'd overreact, kinda like we overreact to a lot of other things.

knapplc is completely spot on. Also, look at how we overreacted, trying to draw any conclusions possible out of post-game tweets players had last week.

Or in-game tweets by players who didn't travel.

i feel that phillip should follow the 'in house model' if he is so concerned talk to the staff,coaches or whatever ... no need to come out with both barrels blazing on twitter

that does more harm than good in my opinion.....

if you believe what phillip said then thats fine but i think it comes down to this:

right time, wrong place......

• Fire 1

But all hes saying is that taylor should be benched. Its no different than a commentator saying a qb should be benched. I still dont see how hes doing a disservice to the team though.

But all hes saying is that taylor should be benched. Its no different than a commentator saying a qb should be benched. I still dont see how hes doing a disservice to the team though.

I've said this several times already - this is in-house stuff. Let's say your brother and his wife are going through a bad time right now. Do you think it's constructive to discuss it on Twitter? Is it advisable? Is it your business to do that? Or should you keep family matters behind closed doors?

What benefit does it give for the whole neighborhood to know that you hate your brother's wife and wish he would divorce her? Who wins in that scenario?

It's pretty clear that Phillip Dillard has a strong personal dislike for Martinez. All he's doing with these *stupid tweets is giving the impression that he would love to see Taylor fail enough to be benched in disgrace. And he would personally revel in Taylor's failure. Not very impressive, Phil.

*redundant

If criticism by former players should be kept in house and not in the public, what should Jason Peter, Joel Makovicka and that other boob Hoskinson talk about on their radio or TV shows?

I know that Makovicka and Hoskinson have said stuff on their show that is way worse then what Dillard tweeted.

I don't know anything about their show. What have they said? Are they still on the radio?

What benefit does it give for the whole neighborhood to know that you hate your brother's wife and wish he would divorce her? Who wins in that scenario?

Sometimes being a brother is calling things the way they are--especially if your brother can't see that for himself--even when it's painful or possibly even destructive to do so.

Being part of a family isn't always convenient or politically correct.

• Fire 1

If criticism by former players should be kept in house and not in the public, what should Jason Peter, Joel Makovicka and that other boob Hoskinson talk about on their radio or TV shows?

I know that Makovicka and Hoskinson have said stuff on their show that is way worse then what Dillard tweeted.

I guess I just touched on this, but the crucial distinction is the personal vitriol that Dillard has towards Taylor, which is evident in comments he has made over a number of years. Unsolicited, unprompted criticism of Taylor that has a heavy bent towards Taylor as a leader, Taylor as a person, ect.

Peter and Mackovicka are payed to analyze the state of Nebraska football. If they're being honest, they'll have critical takes on areas of deficiencies that they see. That is entirely different from taking time out of your busy schedule as a professional football player to let everyone know, again, that you don't like Taylor Martinez and you personally think he sucks. To me there is a big difference between the two.