Phillip Dillard calls for the replacement of Martinez at QB

Brion Carnes should be starting right now. Martinez can lose you a game faster than winning you one. Carnes is still a good runner and by far the better passer. Have Carnes hand the ball off to our great backfield, and play action out of the spread or under center to our playmakers at wideout and tight end.

Ill take consistency over a few big runs a game. People will still say he has more experience, he's SO fast, who gives a shi* the kid can't play QB at this level. Pelini won't take him out as we've seen, even when he has one ankle.

Consistency, where have you seen consistency out of Carnes. The kid may have a great future, but are you on the sideline for every practice, down in the film room watching him gleen things from opponents, etc. You make it sound like the whole world should realize that Brion is far superior to T-Magic in every way. He'll get his chances, but I'll take Bo's evaluation of Brion over your "dream" world of how he may perform any day. Look for Martinez to put this all behind him, and come out and perform like ehe did against Okie Lite last year.

Good God. Some of you people care more about this than Taylor probably does.

I wouldn't use this thread as an example of how much people (specifically me) care about this. For my part, I enjoy talking on forums. This is a current subject. That's mostly why I'm posting here. It's not like my amount of posts has suddenly ramped up because of this issue. It's just the flavor of the moment.

• Fire 1

"It is better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt" -Abraham Lincoln

PhilDill's sophomore year was utterly forgettable. He contributed to the single worst defense this program has witnessed in 40 years that year. I do not recall a single former player publicly calling for his benching that year, or any other of his sad career. Martinez is at least trying, but making bad decisions while doing it. Dillard was a case of absolute lack of effort. He's embarrassing himself with these tweets. Sad.

The dude was drafted into the NFL. Doesn't matter what he did as a sophomore. He was a sophomore on one of the worst teams NU has fielded. He wasn't handling the rock on every offensive play, like Taylor does. He is a very visible player saying what needs to be said.

Taylor is not a QB. He is a extremely talented fast straight line runner. Taylor is surrounded by a lot of weapons. He is calling out the staff from a distance. Bo has put his job at NU on Taylor. If Taylor is successful than he stays. If Taylor to lose the big games, Bo will be forced out. Solich found that out. 4 loss seasons for a top 10 talent is not going to get at NU.

When has NU had this much young talent and overall talent at WR, RB and TE's and Special Teams? It is all lost if the QB can't get the ball to the right personnel.

i agree, Bo is convinced he is playing the right guy.....someone has got to fix TM, before it costs Bo a lot of support. i really wonder sometimes if TM is coachable? surely they have drilled him about making his reads and staring down his receivers......doing the same thing, over and over, while expecting a different result.....well?

This is a Bo decision, and we all have to live with that. I support Bo, if he says that Martinez is the best we have at this point, so be it. But I think if that is the case, someone needs to sit Martinez down and tell him to "just shut up". I am tired of him sounding like he is whining. Whining sounds like excuses, not a leader taking the bull by the horns and taking some responsibility for himself and his team.

I do believe that we need to start trying to work in someone as a backup and get them some experience. I don't know that Martinez isn't heading for a mental meltdown, or he could get hurt again.

This is a Bo decision, and we all have to live with that. I support Bo, if he says that Martinez is the best we have at this point, so be it. But I think if that is the case, someone needs to sit Martinez down and tell him to "just shut up". I am tired of him sounding like he is whining. Whining sounds like excuses, not a leader taking the bull by the horns and taking some responsibility for himself and his team.

I do believe that we need to start trying to work in someone as a backup and get them some experience. I don't know that Martinez isn't heading for a mental meltdown, or he could get hurt again.

I'm not sure I've heard Taylor whine about anything, but this is about the fourth time in about 20 minutes I've heard you whine about it. So there might be something to it.

• Fire 1

I'm not sure I've heard Taylor whine about anything, but this is about the fourth time in about 20 minutes I've heard you whine about it. So there might be something to it.

It is all over the press how the press is out to get him, and he don't care what the fans think...his tweets are all over the place on here, also.

It is all over the press how the press is out to get him, and he don't care what the fans think...his tweets are all over the place on here, also.

What tweets?

Also, I don't see him whining. He called a spade a spade. Whoopty-do.

What tweets?

Also, I don't see him whining. He called a spade a spade. Whoopty-do.

Taylor has a twitter that is a protected account. Only his followers can see his tweets I think. TTM_3 is his twitter account.

New twitter account started an hour by someone looking to get support for Taylor.

He's Our QB

@KBellJr80 we got a twitter account for everything pro-Taylor #spreadtheword #pleaseandthankyou

1 hour ago via Twitter for iPhone Favorite Retweet Reply

Give me a break about him being a college kid. As a college kid, you have enough common sense to know that youre going to be criticized at a big time college. You're telling me that a college kid goes to a big time football school and NOT get criticized? It comes with the territory and every college football player at a big time college knows that.

I don't think knapplc is saying Martinez isn't deserving of criticism, but more or less that Dillard did a very immature thing by essentially saying he hates Taylor Martinez in a very public way. Instead of having the back of Nebraska, he (either intentionally or unintentionally) caused a lot of drama to stir up in a situation he didn't need to add any more too.

That said, I don't mind what Dillard said nor do I completely mind that he said it on twitter. However, because I wouldn't have talked about this the way Dillard did, that's why I find it immature and not befitting of a good person.

Besides, I think presentation has a lot to do with it. What's better?

"Taylor Martinez is struggling. Perhaps it's time to consider reworking the offense to help him succeed or taking a closer look at the younger guys."

or (and this is paraphrasing..)

"Martinez doesn't play hard. He sucks. He can't throw. Get him out of the game OMFG."

One is mature and professional while the other is childish and over the top. Dillard did the latter, which is why I'm criticizing him.

Brion Carnes should be starting right now. Martinez can lose you a game faster than winning you one. Carnes is still a good runner and by far the better passer. Have Carnes hand the ball off to our great backfield, and play action out of the spread or under center to our playmakers at wideout and tight end.

Ill take consistency over a few big runs a game. People will still say he has more experience, he's SO fast, who gives a shi* the kid can't play QB at this level. Pelini won't take him out as we've seen, even when he has one ankle.

No, he shouldn't. Give me one valid reason that favors Carnes starting over Martinez this weekend. All you know about Carnes is that he's a freshman and he had a good practice spring game

You have no idea how good of a passer Carnes is. I would agree that he looked better in the spring game, but that was the spring game. Your gameplan for successfully using Carnes is the exact gameplan I've been saying we should be using with Martinez - hand the ball off and use play action to get the ball to our receivers.

The truth of the matter is that we don't know what kind of a player Carnes is yet, and he needs mental reps more than anything else right now. What happens if Carnes comes in and struggles? Do we go back to flip-flopping quarterbacks like we did all year in 2009, and risk shattering Carnes confidence like we practically did with Green?

It's a dangerous game doing what you're suggesting. This staff has already made quarterback mistakes in the past, and I'm sure they're not keen on doing it again anytime soon.

50% pass completion 4 TDs 5 INTs, lost count on fumbles (This is awful especially because Wisconsin is the only good team we've played so far).

No idea how you don't think Carnes should get a shot to be the starter??

Phil is entitled to his opinion. But I think it was childish, in poor taste, and reflects poorly on him as a person and a representative of Nebraska football.

Exactly. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize it's very, very poor taste and extremely bad judgement for a former player to rip our starting qb to the public.

Otoh, are own fans have zero qualms doing the same and even use any kind of internet rumor they can dream up to tear the kid apart. It's probably just the times.

GBR!!