Corey Raymond

krc1995

What was the selling point on Raymond that Pelini had to bring him to Lincoln? I just found out from a guy at a local BBQ joint that Raymond is from the same town I live in (New Iberia, Louisiana) coached the defense and taught at the High School I teach at (New Iberia Senior High). He quit three or four years before I joined staff, but I would have though that some of my co -workers would have asked me how he doing or at least talked about him. They all know that I am from Nebraska and I am a huge fan(I know this by the amount of grief they give me after losses). It just seems someone would have brought him up if he had left any impression at all. I know after the high school D-coordinator gig, he then found his way to LSU, in what capacity I don't know, but this is where Bo and he becomes buddies. I also know after Bo he went on to be an assistant at Utah State. But what did he do so well that Bo had to have to replace Sanders?

I don't think Bo intended to replace Sanders. From my understanding, Sanders was given the option to retire gracefully or be fired over a disciplinary matter. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for Raymond, I understand hiring someone you've worked with in the past and know well, but I'm hoping this was genuinely because Bo thinks Corey does good work. Obviously the jury's still out on him because there's so much inexperience in our secondary, but I get the impression that he's a step down from Sanders, even if just a small one.

People need to get off Raymond's jock, for the love of god.

This offseason, we hired a lot of no-name guys with little coaching resume. Jon Garrison. Corey Raymond. Ross Els. Rich Fisher.

Why in the world is Raymond the only person talked about?

Because there were some offseason articles talking about how he stressed technique and the secondary was doing some different things. So let's be clear on one point: the change in what the secondary is being asked to do is coming right from Bo, and it's a reaction to Big Ten officiating practice. Can not be helped, period.

The only thing we should know about Raymond from those articles is that he cares even more than Marvin about sound fundamentals and getting the technical things right. We've all seen Barney-coached O-lines and we've all seen Taylor's mechanics at quarterback. Raymond being a techniques guy is a good thing.

On top of that, Marvin was by many accounts, a lazy-ass recruiter. Raymond, is one of the guys who is hitting the recruiting trail hardest for us. How can we not love having this guy?

The secondary is struggling right now, and there are a lot of reasons for that. I'll list them: Prince, Gomes, and Hagg are in the NFL, and Dennard has not appeared once fully healthy yet. Furthermore, the DL has been pretty subpar this year. Furthermore, the new faces we have put in there, are very fresh and most of them have very little experience. If you want to blame anyone for either not having better new faces in there, or guys with more experience under their belts ready to step in....point the finger at Marvin. It's his guys that he left to Raymond, sans the ones who just graduated.

Seriously, how much time have Antonio Bell (cornerback since 2010), Andrew Green (who is a redshirt soph!), Dijon Washington (also a redshirt soph!) had combined?

We have some hires this offseason that could use some serious scrutiny. But I think you should realize, the guy everyone is putting heat on is probably the best move we made all offseason, by far.

(by the way, sorry krc, I came off harsh in that first line, but it's not really directed at you. Raymond is everyone's favorite punching bag on the defensive side right now, when he really should be the least of our concerns - feel strongly about that).

• Fire 1

I don't think Bo intended to replace Sanders. From my understanding, Sanders was given the option to retire gracefully or be fired over a disciplinary matter. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for Raymond, I understand hiring someone you've worked with in the past and know well, but I'm hoping this was genuinely because Bo thinks Corey does good work. Obviously the jury's still out on him because there's so much inexperience in our secondary, but I get the impression that he's a step down from Sanders, even if just a small one.

You're wrong.

People need to get off Raymond's jock, for the love of god.

This offseason, we hired a lot of no-name guys with little coaching resume. Jon Garrison. Corey Raymond. Ross Els. Rich Fisher.

Why in the world is Raymond the only person talked about?

Because there were some offseason articles talking about how he stressed technique and the secondary was doing some different things. So let's be clear on one point: the change in what the secondary is being asked to do is coming right from Bo, and it's a reaction to Big Ten officiating practice. Can not be helped, period.

The only thing we should know about Raymond from those articles is that he cares even more than Marvin about sound fundamentals and getting the technical things right. We've all seen Barney-coached O-lines and we've all seen Taylor's mechanics at quarterback. Raymond being a techniques guy is a good thing.

On top of that, Marvin was by many accounts, a lazy-ass recruiter. Raymond, is one of the guys who is hitting the recruiting trail hardest for us. How can we not love having this guy?

The secondary is struggling right now, and there are a lot of reasons for that. I'll list them: Prince, Gomes, and Hagg are in the NFL, and Dennard has not appeared once fully healthy yet. Furthermore, the DL has been pretty subpar this year. Furthermore, the new faces we have put in there, are very fresh and most of them have very little experience. If you want to blame anyone for either not having better new faces in there, or guys with more experience under their belts ready to step in....point the finger at Marvin. It's his guys that he left to Raymond, sans the ones who just graduated.

Seriously, how much time have Antonio Bell (cornerback since 2010), Andrew Green (who is a redshirt soph!), Dijon Washington (also a redshirt soph!) had combined?

We have some hires this offseason that could use some serious scrutiny. But I think you should realize, the guy everyone is putting heat on is probably the best move we made all offseason, by far.

(by the way, sorry krc, I came off harsh in that first line, but it's not really directed at you. Raymond is everyone's favorite punching bag on the defensive side right now, when he really should be the least of our concerns - feel strongly about that).

:yeah