Bo Pelini

My favorite is how we sh#t on the players and coaches at every given opportunity under the guise of "being a realist".

My favorite is how everytime someone criticizes a player, coach, or the team, others manage to look down from the top of Perfect Mountain and lower their nose just long enough to tell them they are not a "True Fan" and don't deserve to root for the huskers.

I will do my part - I am sorry, that as a fan, I have helped create a set of standards and expectations by which we expect this team, both players and coaches, to perform. Furthermore, I have realized that expecting players and coaches to learn from their mistakes, which will be made, is much too high of an expectation.

We all expect those things. It seems to me some people are more willing to give them a chance to work towards those goals. People were lighting a fire under Bo's coaches seat last night for god's sake. If coaches and players aren't immune to criticism, why should the fans be?

My favorite is how we sh#t on the players and coaches at every given opportunity under the guise of "being a realist".

My favorite is how everytime someone criticizes a player, coach, or the team, others manage to look down from the top of Perfect Mountain and lower their nose just long enough to tell them they are not a "True Fan" and don't deserve to root for the huskers.

I will do my part - I am sorry, that as a fan, I have helped create a set of standards and expectations by which we expect this team, both players and coaches, to perform. Furthermore, I have realized that expecting players and coaches to learn from their mistakes, which will be made, is much too high of an expectation.

We all expect those things. It seems to me some people are more willing to give them a chance to work towards those goals. People were lighting a fire under Bo's coaches seat last night for god's sake. If coaches and players aren't immune to criticism, why should the fans be?

Good point. I guess the argument I was trying to make was that a fan is a fan. Good or Bad. Sunshine Pumper or Realist. However, we have a superb fanbase when compared across the board. This is an arrogant statement, and we are not without faults, but we treat our athletes very well compared to other schools. Just listen to Paul Finebaum's radio show, which is mostly SEC fans. They truely hate some of their own.

It's getting pretty old reading "Oh, the booing was at the play calling, not the players!"

Justify it however you wish, but I'm betting Taylor Martinez didn't walk off the field to the boo's and think "Oh, that must be directed at Tim Beck, not me!"

There is no place for booing at a college sporting event. You know the players took it like it was directed at them. Embarrassing moment to be a husker fan.

• Fire 1

Good point. I guess the argument I was trying to make was that a fan is a fan. Good or Bad. Sunshine Pumper or Realist. However, we have a superb fanbase when compared across the board. This is an arrogant statement, and we are not without faults, but we treat our athletes very well compared to other schools. Just listen to Paul Finebaum's radio show, which is mostly SEC fans. They truely hate some of their own.

SEC fans are a special breed, indeed.

It's getting pretty old reading "Oh, the booing was at the play calling, not the players!"

Justify it however you wish, but I'm betting Taylor Martinez didn't walk off the field to the boo's and think "Oh, that must be directed at Tim Beck, not me!"

There is no place for booing at a college sporting event. You know the players took it like it was directed at them. Embarrassing moment to be a husker fan.

There's room for booing depending on what you're booing. I have no problems with booing opposing teams. Heckling and being an ass is one thing, but booing is not a big deal.

Booing the players, however, is something I would never do regardless of the situation. You're right. When players hear booing, they're not thinking of it as a "oh they must be booing the playcalling" or "oh they must be booing this one coach because of this reason." No - the players are taking it as them being booed, which is wrong to me.

These guys essentially work a full time job, putting in 40+ hours a week for football. They're then expected to take classes, do homework, balance a social life, and whatever else. Booing them is inappropriate since many people, myself included, probably wouldn't handle this situation very well.

Husker fans as a whole are horrible. They're not very smart, and whats worse is they think they understand football but they don't. One of the things that bothers TO the most about our stadium is the saying that Peady put up saying we're the greast fans in college football.

that couldn't be more opposite from the truth. Who else in College Football cheers a great performance by the opposition, win or lose?? We may think we know more than we actually do, but what fans don't think that? These are some of the best fans in the country - just ask any coach who has played us at home.

Those are things that we used to be able to say. However I'll disagree with the current climate of the average Husker fan being that way. Is sad that we treat the opposing team better than we treat our own team? If we're so dam classy why did all that hate come out on a QB last week who in all reality didn't lose us the game? Why does the entire crowd chant for coaches to be fired at high school games their kids play at? Why do we send death threats to coaches wives for losing a bowl game? The last 8-9 years we've treated our kids like sh*it unless they're winning every game. That's not being a good fan. Most fans don't understand the where the line is between being critical and being fanatical. They aren't smart enough. Yes there are some good fans out there but I would say I come into contact with more bad fans than good ones any more.

What does a high school game have to do with anything? There's probably a pretty good chance some of those people are Husker fans, but on those lines you could start saying all Husker fans are murderers because, at some point, a Husker fan has killed someone.

Not saying I agree or disagree with the fan discussion - I'm staying out of that discussion, but I would like to point out a couple things. If fans were not fanatical, you wouldn't have still had 85,000 at a 27-6 game in pouring rain still screaming their a$$es off for their team. If fans were not fanatical, Huskerboard would suck and probably not even exist. And finally, fans were also fanatical in the 70s, 80s and 90s but people's fanatical rants were limited to calls from a landline or sending letters. It also helped that the team was winning every home game - hard to hear much criticism in the stands when your team wins seemingly every home game for 30 years... it's also easy for people to forget fans chanting for certain qbs to get benched even in the 90s, much like the booing from Saturday will be forgotten by most over the years.

He's whispering in his ear.

I am not going to put down my own fanbase, but I think we are a lot more bandwagon than we realize. And we melt down during games, completely crazy. It's like at the first sign of trouble folks start jumping off bridges! Have some patience, guys! And stay on that bandwagon. Let's please make an effort to do that.

I wasn't really reading message boards in 2003 so maybe the climate then was acerbic as well, but in my opinion 2007 really brought out the ugly in Husker fans. I have to say the whole 'greatest fans' stuff has rung a bit hollow since then. I love this fanbase though and I think we should get back up there by holding ourselves to the high standards we profess.

i think the fans could be better. i just enjoy watching and following the huskers. i think a big problem for most huskers is that they are tired of getting their hearts broken, they are tired of finally gaining the courage to believe we can compete with anyone only to see us embarrassed on national television. they are tired of thinking that we have turned a corner only to see the team as a whole regress and struggle for each and every win. but most of all, i think it is their passion for this team that causes their less favorable behavior.

i will say, 'boos' are embarrassing. like i have always said, 'drink booze, forget boos.'

• Fire 1

Husker fans as a whole are horrible. They're not very smart, and whats worse is they think they understand football but they don't. One of the things that bothers TO the most about our stadium is the saying that Peady put up saying we're the greast fans in college football.

You people who think this sort of thing is unique to Husker fans need to get out a little more.

• Fire 1

You people who think this sort of thing is unique to Husker fans need to get out a little more.

exactly. auburn fans walked out on their team like a game after they won the championship.

Tell him to TAKE THEM DOWN. I hate those signs with a passion.

• Fire 1

Some of the responses here just blow my mind.

First of all, can someone point to an article written about Martinez after the Wisconsin game where he is being attacked or unfairly criticized?

Second, I'm one of the first to roll his eyes at the 'we're the greatest fans' notion every time it is uttered, but I'm issuing a likewise f#*k YOU to all of the 'you fans should be embarrassed of yourselves' threads and posts. I don't boo when I go to games because it's just kind of obnoxious, but I don't remember TO and Scott Frost spitting back at the media when he was roundly booed to start the '97 season (a year in which we won the whole damn thing BTW). Pelini needs to grow the hell up and understand that things are about as good here as he can ask for. He has a loyal, supportive, rabid fan base that does go over the edge at times either way, but when you buy the ticket at a major college football program, shut up and take the RIDE!

I think it's hilarious how some of you defend everything he does. The guy could come out tomorrow and say he hates corn on the cob, and half of you would write posts saying 'yeah, f#*k corn on the cob. Gets stuck in your teeth. Not a lot of nutritional content. Good for BO!' Jesus. Pelini could sh#t on a plate, call it stroganoff, and some of you would line up for seconds.

Criticizing the coach doesn't mean you disown, ex-communicate, or call for his firing. It means you make a fair assessment and speak your mind. And fairly criticizing the team on message boards doesn't mean you're a troll or a black eye for the fan base.

If Pelini hates the media, fine. Bite your tongue, give vanilla answers, and reserve your candor for your team. What I'm hearing in Martinez's confrontational answers channels his coach, and that's not a good thing IMO.

Here's a thought. Win a high profile game and THEN bitch about how you and your team aren't getting the credit you deserve.

• Fire 5

I think it's hilarious how some of you defend everything he does. The guy could come out tomorrow and say he hates corn on the cob, and half of you would write posts saying 'yeah, f#*k corn on the cob. Gets stuck in your teeth. Not a lot of nutritional content. Good for BO!' Jesus. Pelini could sh#t on a plate, call it stroganoff, and some of you would line up for seconds.

corn on the cob IS the worst. also, how do you make stroganoff, then?

Some of the responses here just blow my mind.

First of all, can someone point to an article written about Martinez after the Wisconsin game where he is being attacked or unfairly criticized?

Second, I'm one of the first to roll his eyes at the 'we're the greatest fans' notion every time it is uttered, but I'm issuing a likewise f#*k YOU to all of the 'you fans should be embarrassed of yourselves' threads and posts. I don't boo when I go to games because it's just kind of obnoxious, but I don't remember TO and Scott Frost spitting back at the media when he was roundly booed to start the '97 season (a year in which we won the whole damn thing BTW). Pelini needs to grow the hell up and understand that things are about as good here as he can ask for. He has a loyal, supportive, rabid fan base that does go over the edge at times either way, but when you buy the ticket at a major college football program, shut up and take the RIDE!

Criticizing the coach doesn't mean you disown, ex-communicate, or call for his firing. It means you make a fair assessment and speak your mind. And fairly criticizing the team on message boards doesn't mean you're a troll or a black eye for the fan base.

If Pelini hates the media, fine. Bite your tongue, give vanilla answers, and reserve your candor for your team. What I'm hearing in Martinez's confrontational answers channels his coach, and that's not a good thing IMO.

Here's a thought. Win a high profile game and THEN bitch about how you and your team aren't getting the credit you deserve.

When has he done that?

Also, I'm not gonna spoon feed you the DC article, because one google search will find it for you.

• Fire 1