New Triple Option formation

Enhance

This is my first post on this board, but I have been a reader for quite some time. I am long time Husker fan and really enjoyed the game on Saturday! I love what I saw from the offense and thought Beck called a great game. The formation with Burkhead at fullback is genius. It adds a new wrinkle to the offense that will be hard to stop. Burkhead gives a real threat from that spot and having Green, Abdullah, or Heard at the I back spot and Martinez at QB we truly have a tripe option that the defense has to account for. I am excited to see the evolution of this offense and think that unit will only get better with time.

This formation does not seem that hard to defend and is probably the reason they run it more when the defense is tired. Pre snap it is confusing and the defender would need to realize how many possible outcomes. However once the ball is snapped they just have to find the direction, once that is determined it becomes only an option between hand off or keep. Realitstically only the QB or one RB could get the ball. In this case as soon as the ball is snapped Abdullah is no longer an option for a run play. The lb can leave him for a safety. If it is not a quick pitch to Burkhead he is out of the play, if it would be a quick pitch the numbers favor the defense (although I could see Burkhead throwing out of this formation). So the option is only keep or give to Green. On this play Yoshi was down field quick so the pass option was eliminated. The D end needed to step up and take on Long, and disrupts the play. A fresh defense flowing to the ball shuts this down, a tired defense craps themselves and watches the the play develop. By that time the wall and numbers are set and the offense wins. Beck used it perfect on Saturday. Overall it was just phone to see some option football. It truly is the best football to watch when it works, and is the reason I am a Husker fan.

There are other options after the snap. If your linemen stay close to the LoS, passing is an option. You could have either two options for a screen to the opposite side of the field, or set up a one-man screen with the other RB out in front blocking. If they bite on the play moving to one side of the field, the other side should have enough space to get at least a first down if the play develops quickly enough.

I think the pass play will be off a toss to Burkhead with the option to run or pass. If the corner comes up to attack the run, TD. Interesting thought on the screens. Screens take time to set up. Options leave one defender free and forced to choose an option. I would think the D end would blow up a screen. I will have to ponder that some more.

If our blocking improves, I think it could work. Perhaps off of a zone read fake. As you said, it'd take a little time to set up, but if you can set it up, there are scenarios in which I could see it working.

Have no idea why we saved this formation until the 2nd half of this game. We practiced this heavy all summer because of the complete mismatches it gives us with guys like Green, Burkhead, and Abdullah all being great receivers as well. The run/pass options out of this formation are almost endless because of our RBs pass catching abilities.

It was funny on Enunwa's TD. Aaron Green ran a wheel route down the sideline and no one was in the same area code as him. Aaron threw up his hands wanting the ball, and then got angry when he saw it was going to Enunwa. He got over it pretty quickly when he saw Enunwa catch it and go into the end zone.

Definitely love this formation, and TCU's success with it last season was a big push in us using it. TCU drove teams absolutely mad trying to cover this last year with the playmakers they had.

Have no idea why we saved this formation until the 2nd half of this game. We practiced this heavy all summer because of the complete mismatches it gives us with guys like Green, Burkhead, and Abdullah all being great receivers as well. The run/pass options out of this formation are almost endless because of our RBs pass catching abilities.

It was funny on Enunwa's TD. Aaron Green ran a wheel route down the sideline and no one was in the same area code as him. Aaron threw up his hands wanting the ball, and then got angry when he saw it was going to Enunwa. He got over it pretty quickly when he saw Enunwa catch it and go into the end zone.

Definitely love this formation, and TCU's success with it last season was a big push in us using it. TCU drove teams absolutely mad trying to cover this last year with the playmakers they had.

Haha....I don't blame Green at all. He'll get his shots soon enough!

GBR!!

The triple option play run out of the diamond is just a glorified ZR play with the play side RB or FB blocking while the QB reads the backside DE. After the initial read, the qb then has runs a true pitch option and either keeps or pitches.

Edit: Here we go. A terrible PS job, but it works.

post-3391-0-73046400-1318353642.jpg

Holy Moly.....d-r-o-o-l.

Saunders this also kind of looks all the world like a misdirection option play, isn't it? You've got the two rbs going one way while the qb & the fb (I assume) go the other way, right? Tmart either hands off to the rb going east, pitches to the FB or runs the ball himself going west. At least to my untrained eye.

Wow.....with decent to good blocking good luck stopping that. With the studs we have in the backfield? Whew!

GBR!!

The triple option play run out of the diamond is just a glorified ZR play with the play side RB or FB blocking while the QB reads the backside DE. After the initial read, the qb then has runs a true pitch option and either keeps or pitches.

Edit: Here we go. A terrible PS job, but it works.

post-3391-0-73046400-1318353642.jpg

Holy Moly.....d-r-o-o-l.

Saunders this also kind of looks all the world like a misdirection option play, isn't it? You've got the two rbs going one way while the qb & the fb (I assume) go the other way, right? Tmart either hands off to the rb going east, pitches to the FB or runs the ball himself going west. At least to my untrained eye.

Wow.....with decent to good blocking good luck stopping that. With the studs we have in the backfield? Whew!

GBR!!

Yeah, it's pretty slick.

I play in a church flag football league, and for the year end tournament last year, we implemented this. We were already using a pistol based offense, so it wasn't hard. Needless to say, we crushed teams because nobody knew WTF to do to stop it.

This formation does not seem that hard to defend and is probably the reason they run it more when the defense is tired. Pre snap it is confusing and the defender would need to realize how many possible outcomes. However once the ball is snapped they just have to find the direction, once that is determined it becomes only an option between hand off or keep. Realitstically only the QB or one RB could get the ball. In this case as soon as the ball is snapped Abdullah is no longer an option for a run play. The lb can leave him for a safety. If it is not a quick pitch to Burkhead he is out of the play, if it would be a quick pitch the numbers favor the defense (although I could see Burkhead throwing out of this formation). So the option is only keep or give to Green. On this play Yoshi was down field quick so the pass option was eliminated. The D end needed to step up and take on Long, and disrupts the play. A fresh defense flowing to the ball shuts this down, a tired defense craps themselves and watches the the play develop. By that time the wall and numbers are set and the offense wins. Beck used it perfect on Saturday. Overall it was just phone to see some option football. It truly is the best football to watch when it works, and is the reason I am a Husker fan.

I would disagree. You are right that Abdullah is no longer a run threat, but it is not hard for Beck to turn this into a wheel route & have Martinez fake the option & drop back. If the defense creeps up to play the other RB's & Martinez. It should be pretty open pass to him. Also if you get the safety to bite, you can put 6 on the board, because there are not many players who could catch Abdullah from behind.

I love how Beck is seemingly making offense sexy again at NU. Compared to almost the last decade where it's been a migraine.

And to think people were up in arms about Beck last week and throughout the OSU game prior to the comeback.

He's definitely still growing, and I can see some slip ups here and there in the future, but you'd have to be blind not to see his potential.

I like what Tim Beck has done with the offense. When it's going, it's going. And people were doubting him, wasn't he the OC for the Kansas team that won the Orange Bowl?

According to Huskers.com he was officially a receivers coach and was promoted to pass game coordinator.

http://www.huskers.c...&ATCLID=1364518