Tom slams Badger fans.

You know now that I think about it, I was kind of an a-hole when I was a student.

The difference is that I'll bet that you never would have dreamed of lobbing obscenities at some elderly people being helped to their seats. There is absolutely no excuse for that behavior. The university needs to get a grip on their students instead of looking the other way and chuckling about it. I'm absolutely ashamed that this behavior is being not only tolerated, but embraced as some sort of twisted badge of honor by the people who live in Wisconsin. I expect better of the people that live in my state.

You know now that I think about it, I was kind of an a-hole when I was a student.

The difference is that I'll bet that you never would have dreamed of lobbing obscenities at some elderly people being helped to their seats. There is absolutely no excuse for that behavior. The university needs to get a grip on their students instead of looking the other way and chuckling about it. I'm absolutely ashamed that this behavior is being not only tolerated, but embraced as some sort of twisted badge of honor by the people who live in Wisconsin. I expect better of the people that live in my state.

I can assure you the university is very concerned about it and active in combating it.

11_FB_Student_Letter_October13_01.jpg

The fact that a letter like that has to be sent out is bad enough. What's worse is that these chants have been going on for years according to fans of other Big Ten schools. I have a hard time understanding why this was tolerated for so long. I know for a fact that our fans are not the first to have complained about the students at Camp Randall.

The university needs to take baby steps. The letter is a good start. First is eliminating the notorious ES/FU chant. Next is creating a less hostile and safer venue both outside the stadium and during the game. No fan should have to feel like their safety is threatened when attending a college football game. Then maybe fans won't hate coming here for games.

The university needs to take baby steps. The letter is a good start. First is eliminating the notorious ES/FU chant. Next is creating a less hostile and safer venue both outside the stadium and during the game. No fan should have to feel like their safety is threatened when attending a college football game. Then maybe fans won't hate coming here for games.

Exactly. And it's a crime that people have such a bad view of Madison. As one of your compatriots listed in another thread, Wisconsin has a LOT of academic success to boast about. It's a fine school producing well-educated people. That's what makes the crowd behavior - and I think the consensus is that it's almost entirely the students - so strange. Higher education and churlish behavior don't seem to go hand in hand.

The unfortunate reality is that nearly everyone I've talked to or heard about won't be making a return trip to Madison the next time Nebraska plays. That kind of atmosphere isn't what Wisconsin is all about.

I can assure you the university is very concerned about it and active in combating it.

11_FB_Student_Letter_October13_01.jpg

Wow I had no idea it was like this. I love that your stadium is loud and a bit crazy, but I would never participate in such chants. Anyways, I have talked with a lot of great Badger fans and I don't think this kind of behavior in that letter is indicative of the whole fan base. I will say...anyone comes up to me and yells A&&hole in my face will probably get knocked the F- out. It's more them being in my face more then calling me an A-hole. People call me that all the time and it doesn't bother me.

Edit- Oh and I am still a fan of the Badgers no matter how the fan base acts. I like how you guys play football.

Wow. You are correct. We smuggled in beer and got a little bit stupid, but always prided ourselves in entertaining the tickholders and never insulting anyone (with the possible exception of Barry Switzer, who always pretended not to hear us.)

I don't feel Tom "slammed" their fans or gave them a "low blow". Sure his comments were directed at Wisconsin but telling it like it is in an understated and truthful manner should not be misconstrued as a slam. Not that I think the students at Wiscy give 2 craps about what Osborne says but maybe they and their administrators should. It really only takes a visiting fan 1 or 2 or 3 instances of witnessing this type of behavior to tarnish their perception of the overall fanbase for a long time. It may not be right or accurate to then stereotype all Wiscy fans as classless, foul-mouthed, etc. but that is exactly what happens for anyone that has been exposed to the behavior. This is exactly why it is so amazing and impressive that Husker fans have been able to maintain such a good reputation. I am sure there are some classless, foul-mouthed, abusive fans donning the Husker Red but they are so few and far between that not many witness it. I know I've never personally witnessed or heard about anything at NU similar to what I have experienced at CU or Auburn or the stories coming out of Camp Randall.

The letter and Tom's comments are a sign that something is terribly wrong. Unfortunately they will need to take more forceful action if they really want it to change. It doesn't matter if it is just students. As long as they allow it to continue it might as well be University policy. It says a lot about the admins position if all they have to fall back on is "well, we sent out a letter".

Is that letter real and it was actually sent out to the student body?

Ouch, that's brutal.

Credit the administration because they don't really hold back in dressing down their students. Would not have expected colorful examples to be used in the letter.

Yes, it is.

Let me say that this is the strongest message from administration yet.